Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 20th May 2018, 08:10   #50941  |  Link
ryrynz

Madshi, could you allow for chapter markings to be seen on the exclusive seek bar please?
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2018, 10:37   #50942  |  Link
yogibeezwax

Thanks for all the replies on my issue with exclusive mode! I'd quote ppl, but I'm a bit distracted with family stuff right now (you all know who you are) and I truly appreciate it!
yogibeezwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2018, 11:37   #50943  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betroz View Post
Well if you test an older version of MadVr, you'll see that NNEDI3 works so that the queues does fill up with that.
IIRC, NNEDI3 used an OpenCL interop. Maybe that's where the difference in behaviour is from.
Old 20th May 2018, 15:27   #50944  |  Link
Betroz
Is this for real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
IIRC, NNEDI3 used an OpenCL interop. Maybe that's where the difference in behaviour is from.
Maybe yes, but only Madshi can say for sure.
Old 20th May 2018, 19:38   #50945  |  Link
Seedmanc

Actually it goes bonkers with GSYNC even without Smooth Motion enabled sometimes.
Seedmanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2018, 09:16   #50946  |  Link
sat4all

hi guys,

I’m trying to calibrate my lg oled hdr mode and i need a bit of advice.
I’ve already created a 3d-lut while setting both displaycal and madtpg to 400nits. But i have a problem with some movies, take The Shallows UHD as example, with the 3d-lut on it’s blindly bright while with either passthrough or hdr process using pixel shaders math it looks normal.
Using hdr 3d-lut is no choice for me, because my tv color gamut is set to wide (native) for sdr 3d-lut calibration and my tv share the same preset for both sdr and hdr so without hdr calibration while tv gamut set to wide, colors will be off.
My Display hdr peak luminance is arround 400nits so i have set displaycal to 400cd/m and hdr process, do i have to set madtpg hdr tap to 400nits too or something else?
Old 22nd May 2018, 10:38   #50947  |  Link
Clown shoes
King of the Jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sat4all View Post
hi guys,

I’m trying to calibrate my lg oled hdr mode and i need a bit of advice.
I’ve already created a 3d-lut while setting both displaycal and madtpg to 400nits. But i have a problem with some movies, take The Shallows UHD as example, with the 3d-lut on it’s blindly bright while with either passthrough or hdr process using pixel shaders math it looks normal.
Using hdr 3d-lut is no choice for me, because my tv color gamut is set to wide (native) for sdr 3d-lut calibration and my tv share the same preset for both sdr and hdr so without hdr calibration while tv gamut set to wide, colors will be off.
My Display hdr peak luminance is arround 400nits so i have set displaycal to 400cd/m and hdr process, do i have to set madtpg hdr tap to 400nits too or something else?
OK, so firstly if you're creating an HDR 3D LUT in Displaycal (using the Madvr HDR profile presumably) with a 400 nit max display you should set the peak luminance on the 3D LUT tab to around 1000 nits.

In MadTPG you are emulating an HDR movies metadata, so set the minimum to 0 and the max to 4000.

Personally I increase the patches from the default 175 to just over 1000 as I had some issues with using less, however you may be fine with the default.

Remember to set the peak luminance in Madvr to 1000 nits also.

Let me know how you get on with that
Clown shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2018, 12:25   #50948  |  Link
sat4all

@Clown shoes
thanks much, i will give it a shot and let you know.
Old 22nd May 2018, 14:47   #50949  |  Link
stefanelli73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown shoes View Post
OK, so firstly if you're creating an HDR 3D LUT in Displaycal (using the Madvr HDR profile presumably) with a 400 nit max display you should set the peak luminance on the 3D LUT tab to around 1000 nits.

In MadTPG you are emulating an HDR movies metadata, so set the minimum to 0 and the max to 4000.

Personally I increase the patches from the default 175 to just over 1000 as I had some issues with using less, however you may be fine with the default.

then I have a vpr where the peak of luminance is around 120 nits if I want to make a 3dlut "process hdr ...." how many nits should I set in DISPCAL and in madtpg?
stefanelli73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2018, 18:27   #50950  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
HDR uses wide gamut natively, why would your TV in wide gamut mode cause colors to be off for HDR content?
Old 22nd May 2018, 18:31   #50951  |  Link
sat4all

Quote:

So i took your advice and made a 1114p profile using you suggested settings, unfortunately the outcome was very dull. Comparing mad max fury road bluray version to uhd make the last one look even dimmer. (my sdr mode is calibrated using 100nit as target)
Now i'm giving 400nit as target another shot in displaycal, but using larger profile 1114p this time bcs all my previous profiles were using default 175p.

Edit: Increasing patches doesn't matter, targeting 400nit still look unnormally bright.

Cheers

Last edited by sat4all; 22nd May 2018 at 19:38.
sat4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2018, 20:07   #50952  |  Link
Clown shoes
King of the Jungle

Quote:
So i took your advice and made a 1114p profile using you suggested settings, unfortunately the outcome was very dull. Comparing mad max fury road bluray version to uhd make the last one look even dimmer. (my sdr mode is calibrated using 100nit as target)
Now i'm giving 400nit as target another shot in displaycal, but using larger profile 1114p this time bcs all my previous profiles were using default 175p.

Edit: Increasing patches doesn't matter, targeting 400nit still look unnormally bright.

Cheers
I'm honestly not sure mate. Those numbers were Florian's suggestion based on tone mapping calculations.

If I'm honest I've given up on the 3D LUT approach and I've gone back to calibrating the display with manual controls and HCFR. I'm getting much better results this way.
Old 22nd May 2018, 20:26   #50953  |  Link
sat4all

Quote:
I'm honestly not sure mate. Those numbers were Florian's suggestion based on tone mapping calculations.

If I'm honest I've given up on the 3D LUT approach and I've gone back to calibrating the display with manual controls and HCFR. I'm getting much better results this way.
thanks much, maybe be i need to adapte to dim hdr picture.
everything else is unwatchable.
Manual calibration is no go for me bcs of LG oled's broken CMS.
Old 22nd May 2018, 23:02   #50954  |  Link
Asmodian

You cannot make one 3DLUT that looks good for all HDR sources, only 3DLUTs that looks good for a specific set of metadata. Put your content's metadata values into the mastering display's fields when creating the 3DLUT.
Old 22nd May 2018, 23:02   #50955  |  Link
kalston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedmanc View Post
Actually it goes bonkers with GSYNC even without Smooth Motion enabled sometimes.
Just add your video player's .exe to the Windows Media Player's nvidia profile (some other built-in profiles work, Internet Explorer for example, just don't use a game profile or try to make your own), you will never have to worry about G-Sync for video playback again.

Last edited by kalston; 22nd May 2018 at 23:05.
kalston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2018, 11:42   #50956  |  Link
NoTechi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
You cannot make one 3DLUT that looks good for all HDR sources, only 3DLUTs that looks good for a specific set of metadata. Put your content's metadata values into the mastering display's fields when creating the 3DLUT.
I am using a 3DLUT for non HDR Content so far and I really like the result. I wasn't aware that HDR requires different 3DLUT (madvr was actually giving me a error message when I tried to add the BT2020 LUT within the HDR config page) but thinking it over it makes sense to me since I would use different settings in my projector as well.
So I am planning now to:
- re-calibrate my HDR Settings
- create a HDR 3DLUT

My question is why it is different for different HDR sources. Isn't the whole point of using a 3DLUT to have the incoming signal analysed and the outgoing signal adjusted based on the 3DLUT. If for example a movie would be mastered in 1000nits and the whole calibration and the 3DLUT would have been done targeting 4000nits wouldn't be the intention of madvr to adjust it accordingly?

But if I am wrong and if I would need a HDR 3DLUT for all types of different source metadata would there be a way madvr recognizes the incoming metadata and chooses the right HDR 3DLUT automatically?

NoTechi
NoTechi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2018, 12:06   #50957  |  Link
fhoech

Quote:
In your case it's just impossible to profile your particular display in HDR mode and get something usable due to the incredibly inconsistent display-imposed HDR tonemapping. The situation is different on displays where there is no display-imposed tonemapping or the tonemapping is of higher quality (e.g. the LG OLED HDR TVs seem to do fine when they are not adjusted to death before profiling).
Old 23rd May 2018, 12:13   #50958  |  Link
fhoech

Quote:
You cannot make one 3DLUT that looks good for all HDR sources, only 3DLUTs that looks good for a specific set of metadata.
One's anecdotal opinion doesn't necessarily make an universal truth.

Quote:
Put your content's metadata values into the mastering display's fields when creating the 3DLUT.
I wouldn't recommend doing it that way. By entering a mastering display peak luminance that is lower than 10K nits you gain a certain (usually really small) amount of extra luminance in HDR highlights, but risk potentially losing detail due to clipping. HDR metadata is not a good or accurate way to figure out what's actually encoded in the content.
Old 23rd May 2018, 15:43   #50959  |  Link
sat4all

Finally i've got things right, thanks to this document

With 540 as target in both displaycal and madhcctrl hdr settings. Now HDR average picture level doesn't look deviate drastically from that of a regular Bluray SDR.
So referring to this document, if your oled can't match the recommended minimum peak luminance you should still use 540 as target, but with newer oled's your are free to use your real peak luminance as they go beyond that.
This is what they mean? or 540 is the magic number for my display which barely hit 400nits.
Old 23rd May 2018, 17:15   #50960  |  Link
Clown shoes
King of the Jungle

Quote:
Finally i've got things right, thanks to this document

With 540 as target in both displaycal and madhcctrl hdr settings. Now HDR average picture level doesn't look deviate drastically from that of a regular Bluray SDR.
So referring to this document, if your oled can't match the recommended minimum peak luminance you should still use 540 as target, but with newer oled's your are free to use your real peak luminance as they go beyond that.
This is what they mean? or 540 is the magic number for my display which barely hit 400nits.
I would say that is a coincidence as that document is specifically talking about a display with 540 nits max output which yours doesn't have

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling