Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 15th April 2020, 20:32   #59161  |  Link
Klaus1189

Do you have another tv for testing, not sure at all, but with AMD you should get solid refresh rates out of the box without the need of CRU or other complicated things.

Please try that.
Klaus1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2020, 20:34   #59162  |  Link
Klaus1189

Perhaps a bit more suitable for the driver thread, isn‘t it?
Old 15th April 2020, 20:51   #59163  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

@mclingo:
If you lost HDMI... I am guessing you deleted something you should not have in CRU.

As for where this discussion should be, it's a madVR thing. mclingo could not get optimizations to work, and that is part of madVR.

QB
Old 15th April 2020, 20:52   #59164  |  Link
mclingo

try reading back Klaus mate, i've literally chucked everything but the kitchen sink at this including a different TV model, its this card as it works fine with my AMD 4650 1080p spare card, i'm just happy now with 3 hours using CRU, I can live with workarounds but I'll be dropping this card as soon as the next gen comes out in the hop it will be better, this cards has just had too many issues right accross the board.
Old 15th April 2020, 20:59   #59165  |  Link
Klaus1189

Strange nevertheless, my 5700 XT is different
Old 15th April 2020, 21:11   #59166  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

@mclingo

It's not your card. As for your 3 hours... it can be better if you use madVR to optimize. CRU is really not the best or easiest way of tuning your custom resolution. Play video, optimize, reboot. The longer you play the video the better the results. With your 3 hours, play a full movie (don't pause or skip or do anything other than play) and after do the optimize, hit apply, and then reboot.

QB
Old 15th April 2020, 21:44   #59167  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
How are you guys achieving these numbers.

If i put in 23.976 in CRU, I only get 23.9755 readout on madvr. Where do I go from here ? I can't input 23.9765 ,

CRU actually reads 23.977 in its table
because even up to this day this number is totally irrelevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post
Does anyone have a good guide for nVidia custom timings?

I am just running stock nVidia 23Hz which gives me 1 frame repeat every 6.5 minutes or so and I would like to try to increase this time I guess to see if I can improve it.
there is no difference between using AMD or nvidia if you are using CRU.

nvidia is just very buggy if you try to use there custom resolution tool which madVR tries to use.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2020, 23:20   #59168  |  Link
Alexkral

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
Cheers, I'll be interested in the results. Do you have an ETA?
And it would be nice to also include NGU Sharp Low/Med/High.
Actually I'm just trying to improve some things and I still have to decide others, I don't think it will take more than a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
with close PSNR and other matrics the psnr is not that important but how the human eye perceives it. so it's as always not surefull to judge quality.
Yes, it is well known that the PSNR doesn't have a good correlation with the perceived quality, what I'm finding is that the so-called perceptual metrics yield very different results from each other, and neither do they seem to be too reliable when the difference between the images is very small.
Alexkral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2020, 00:41   #59169  |  Link
hannes69

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBhd View Post
CRU will override this, but it has limitations. For example you can setup a 23Hz timing, but not a 24Hz timing.
If you have troubles like that try if your display device accepts 48Hz or 72Hz... So you can use e.g. 23.976 & 48 or 24 & 47.952.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Regarding custom resolutions:
If you are unsure what timings are used (e.g. whether madVR is successful with applying a different custom resolution or not) you can look up the currently used timings in the Radeon settings (settings - display - display specs).
If madVR is unable to apply custom resolutions then normally it´s a driver issue. Then you always have CRU as a workaround. You can use madVR for calculation of the timings and use CRU for applying it by using EDID overrides and not the custom resolution driver route.
All problems regarding custom resolutions can be worked around beside one: If you are unlucky you have a display device that is very restricted with custom timings and you get a black screen with most timings.
Beside that it should be no problem to create the needed custom resolutions (the whole set would be 23.976 (or multiples), 24.000 (or multiples), 50.000, 59.940, 60.000) with an accuracy for frame drops/repeats every xx hours.
hannes69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2020, 00:58   #59170  |  Link
tp4tissue

Could someone make a Youtube video on setting CRU/ Nvidia /AMD and the Optimization part ?

I tried deleting all the other 4K settings including 23.976 settings from all the places mentioned in the guide, and it doesn't work, The readout now says 23.955 instead of 23.9755 (from before). This is on my AMD pc.

The only 4K setting in there is the one I set 23.976 (23.977) through CRU

I'm trying to understand the optimization workflow part ?
Old 16th April 2020, 01:13   #59171  |  Link
Asmodian

You can do it by trial and error. Simply set it a bit faster since when set to 23.977 is a little slow. Also, remember that getting very rare frame drops/repeats is the important part, not the exact reported refresh rate.
Old 16th April 2020, 01:23   #59172  |  Link
hannes69

http://madvr.com/crt/CustomResTutorial.html

If this doesn´t work because of driver bugs, take the numbers from madVR amd make custom resolutions with CRU by using the given numbers.

QBhd mentioned additional tweaking if it is needed to remove given timings.

So that is all information that is needed to make working custom resolutions.

No youtube video.
Here at doom9 with madVR we are in the area of adult matter, not kindergarden showing a youtube video "put the yellow triangle block into the according place"
Old 16th April 2020, 01:23   #59173  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
Could someone make a Youtube video on setting CRU/ Nvidia /AMD and the Optimization part ?

I tried deleting all the other 4K settings including 23.976 settings from all the places mentioned in the guide, and it doesn't work, The readout now says 23.955 instead of 23.9755 (from before). This is on my AMD pc.

The only 4K setting in there is the one I set 23.976 (23.977) through CRU

I'm trying to understand the optimization workflow part ?
That's the simple part... play a video for 10+ minutes. Stop. Open madVR. Go to custom resolutions. Optimize. Select a timing. Apply. Close madVR. Reboot. Repeat until you are satisfied with the drop/repeat time. Very simple

QB
Old 16th April 2020, 01:26   #59174  |  Link
huhn

that number is "irrelevant" you don't want it to be 24/1.001 you want it to be something that is not producing a repeated or dropped frame.
so the number you should care about is the clock deviation.

http://madvr.com/crt/CustomResTutorial.html
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2020, 07:50   #59175  |  Link
NoTechi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus1189 View Post
Strange nevertheless, my 5700 XT is different
Actually mine is rock solid as well atm. No refresh rate probs like mclingo. Actually everything is working great for like 2 months now even with driver/windows updates ... I am not used to have a solid system for that long ... crosses fingers

NoTechi
NoTechi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2020, 10:37   #59176  |  Link
hannes69

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
that number is "irrelevant" you don't want it to be 24/1.001 you want it to be something that is not producing a repeated or dropped frame.
so the number you should care about is the clock deviation.
No, the 'clock deviation' in madVR´s OSD means audio clock deviation. The value is more or less constant (beside fluctuations by temperature and fluctuations of the measuring system clock) and you can´t change that value (beside choosing a different audio output which then has a different clock).
So your audio clock deviation is shown with clock deviation. And your video clock deviation is 'encrypted' in display and the corresponding refresh rate Hz value.
Display doesn´t need to be e.g. 24/1.001 = 23.97602 Hz. And clock deviation doesn´t need to be 0.00000 %.
You´re only interested in "xx frame drops/repeats in xxx seconds/minutes/hours/days".

Example:
Your audio clock is running 0.01% too slowly. So the value of 'clock deviation' would be -0.01000 %.
And your video clock is running 0.01 % too slowly as well (by pure coincidence).
Then 'display' is saying 23.97363 Hz.
As a consequence you will get "no frame drops/repeats expected".

The absolute values of 'display' and 'clock deviation' are totally irrelevant in this regard. The relationship between them is the key.
Old 16th April 2020, 12:00   #59177  |  Link
jkauff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus1189 View Post
Perhaps a bit more suitable for the driver thread, isn‘t it?
I wouldn't like to see it moved (shouldn't be anyway--content is madVR related).

This is the first sustained activity I've seen on this thread in a couple of months.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2020, 12:07   #59178  |  Link
mclingo

hi, is it not possible to tweak the back porch figure in AMD? could get even better timings if i could.
Old 16th April 2020, 12:28   #59179  |  Link
hannes69

Of course.
Total = display + front porch + sync width + back porch.
Because of this one value is redundant, AMD and others decided that to be the back porch for technical reasons.
Leave the porches alone, raise/lower the total. That effectively lowers/raises the back porch.
Old 16th April 2020, 12:29   #59180  |  Link
mclingo

ok, ta

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling