Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 21st December 2016, 11:27   #41641  |  Link
huhn

with nvidia chroma will suffer with DXVA native.

rendertimes are a bit higher if DXVA chroma scaling isn't used. madVR is doing some additional computing.

CB work with every other filter like SVP, ffdshow raw, xy vsfilter and stuff like that native isn't working here.

neo-xp
bicubic is faster than lanczos 3
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2016, 11:44   #41642  |  Link
StinDaWg

Also film mode deinterlacing (ivtc) doesn't work with dxva native.
StinDaWg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2016, 12:06   #41643  |  Link
huhn

yeah black boarder detection doesn't work completely the list is long.
Old 21st December 2016, 12:32   #41644  |  Link
Q-the-STORM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidspyker View Post
Good to know, I was using CUVID until recently, switched to DXVA only recently to try out.
You should also not use CUVID btw :P
if you're gonna use anything, use CB...
Q-the-STORM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2016, 12:38   #41645  |  Link
Neo-XP

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
neo-xp
bicubic is faster than lanczos 3
For less than 1ms difference, it is worth it to use Lanczos instead of Bicubic IMO. For instance, NGU-low for chroma doubling adds ~10ms.

As already said, there are several ways for madshi to change that :

1. Make Bicubic60 AR the "Low" quality choice for chroma doubling, as it should be, and Lanczos3 AR the "Normal" one.

As NGU for chroma doubling is overkill and should only be available for highest quality settings only.

2. An option to link the chroma doubling algorithm with the upscaling algorithm used after doubling, like it was before.

As I can't afford NGU for luma quadrupling, I use Lanczos3 AR after doubling with NGU, and it seems logic to use the same algorithm for chroma doubling, at least for me

3. Replace Bicubic60 AR by Lanczos3 AR.

I prefer when users can choose themselves, but those two algorithms have the same impact on performance (by 1ms). Lanczos performs better (sharper) and is closer to NGU than Bicubic.

I can't wait to test the changes made to NGU on v0.91.2, but I need to be able to use the same configuration (Lanczos 3 AR for chroma doubling and disable image quadrupling) to compare.

Last edited by Neo-XP; 21st December 2016 at 14:29.
Neo-XP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2016, 12:42   #41646  |  Link
huhn

i think spline is better than lanczos in all cases but what ever...

4 don't waste development time on this.
Old 21st December 2016, 14:20   #41647  |  Link
jkauff

I think these posts about minor differences in settings are not helping madshi get where he wants to go.

As I understand it, he's working toward a Version 1.0 that will be easy to configure and will work best for MOST users in MOST situations MOST of the time. That seems to be his focus at the moment. Just like we have a madVR [debug].ax file in the package today, he could give us a madVR [expert].ax file that would have the old complex UI with all the choices for those who need/want complete control. That should satisfy most of the posters who can't live with the v0.91 approach. I think that would work better than hiding that functionality behind a tab or button labeled "Advanced", as they do in Handbrake.

We should be helping madshi by telling him if the new UI is simple and clear enough; if the choices he's made for default settings are best for the casual/new user; and what additional changes would be useful in a 1.0 release. All the "THESE settings look best for MY needs" posts are probably just distracting, and certainly aren't moving madVR forward.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2016, 14:49   #41648  |  Link
Telion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkauff View Post
We should be helping madshi by telling him <...> if the choices he's made for default settings are best for the casual/new user
But there is no casual/new users on this forum, so we really can't judge on this topic unbiased. The only thing one can definitely assert is that for the casual user the dumber, the better. So just throw out as many settings as you can and it would be OK for them. Everyone else should just stick to profiles and use scripting for every possible video they would eventually view.
Telion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2016, 15:18   #41649  |  Link
Neo-XP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkauff View Post
I think these posts about minor differences in settings are not helping madshi get where he wants to go.

As I understand it, he's working toward a Version 1.0 that will be easy to configure and will work best for MOST users in MOST situations MOST of the time. That seems to be his focus at the moment. Just like we have a madVR [debug].ax file in the package today, he could give us a madVR [expert].ax file that would have the old complex UI with all the choices for those who need/want complete control. That should satisfy most of the posters who can't live with the v0.91 approach. I think that would work better than hiding that functionality behind a tab or button labeled "Advanced", as they do in Handbrake.

We should be helping madshi by telling him if the new UI is simple and clear enough; if the choices he's made for default settings are best for the casual/new user; and what additional changes would be useful in a 1.0 release. All the "THESE settings look best for MY needs" posts are probably just distracting, and certainly aren't moving madVR forward.
I don't think madshi will give us the old UI back unfortunately, and a madVR [expert].ax file is not a good solution IMO, because it will require more work to develop two UI in parallel.

As for the new UI, I've already proposed something and another user too :

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...17#post1789617
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...46#post1789646

I don't think there are "best settings" for the casual/new user, because the choice mostly depends on the power of the GPU used to run madVR and the user's taste.

madshi could make some general presets for those users, while leaving all the available settings for advanced users in a clear, but not limited UI.

For instance, on the same page, you could choose the type of GPU (Very Low - Low - Medium - High - Very High - Ultra), the type of image that you like (Soft - Normal - Sharp) and the type of content (Anime - Film), and MadVR would choose the right settings for you if you don't know anything about scalers and renderers and don't want to bother to test by yourself every possibility.

Last edited by Neo-XP; 21st December 2016 at 15:41.
Neo-XP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2016, 15:38   #41650  |  Link
ThurstonX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telion View Post
But there is no casual/new users on this forum, so we really can't judge on this topic unbiased. The only thing one can definitely assert is that for the casual user the dumber, the better. So just throw out as many settings as you can and it would be OK for them. Everyone else should just stick to profiles and use scripting for every possible video they would eventually view.
LOL. I'm definitely a "casual" user, if that means I don't do a lot of detailed image comparisons, going through most/all possible combinations, yada yada yada. Sometimes I enjoy reading those posts herein, but other than trying various algorithms and combinations on actual video content I'm planning to watch, and getting the best bang for the buck in terms of quality-vs.-resource usage (render and queue stats, mostly), I don't spend too much time fiddling. Now, when madshi introduces something new like NGU, I do more comparisons and see what I can see. So far I'm pretty impressed with NGU, and was really happy to see I could run it at Luma High and Chroma Med. (IIRC) on a Blu-ray rip onto an inexpensive LG 1080 LED TV (so, not too taxing).

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only "casual" lurker in this and the LAV thread. And no, you may definitely NOT say that "for the casual user the dumber, the better. So just throw out as many settings as you can and it would be OK for them." I enjoy twiddlin' the knobs to experiment, when time permits.

Just sayin'.
ThurstonX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2016, 16:32   #41651  |  Link
Telion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post
trying various algorithms and combinations on actual video content I'm planning to watch, and getting the best bang for the buck in terms of quality-vs.-resource usage (render and queue stats, mostly)
LOL, but you're definitely not a casual user, you even know what are chroma and luma. A typical casual user usually doesn't bother to change settings at all (let alone understand their meaning), or just once blindly sets them according to some random guide found on the net. He also believes there are some magical "best" settings for everyone (or at least for a high-end rig) and assumes they are mostly the ones obtained out of the box. And he definitely won't visit a software's discussion board except when he runs into some problems.
Telion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2016, 16:52   #41652  |  Link
Damien147

Now that you mentioned dxva(native) I get black screen when playing P010(<--is this correct way to say it?) movies but cb also sometimes gives me slowdown/jerky playback.I guess hardware decoder set to none will work for me.
Damien147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2016, 17:07   #41653  |  Link
BluesFanUK

Think I asked this before, but can't find the answer. What's the point in using LAV filters with MadVR? Is it only beneficial to slow PC'/GPU's or does it improve performance regardless of hardware?
BluesFanUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2016, 17:14   #41654  |  Link
huhn

lavfilter is giving madVR as many file information as possible.
it is using FFmpeg and is as fast as most other ffmpeg based decoder.

internal filters of player is the only alternative i can think of for lavfilter.
Old 21st December 2016, 18:25   #41655  |  Link
BluesFanUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
lavfilter is giving madVR as many file information as possible.
it is using FFmpeg and is as fast as most other ffmpeg based decoder.

internal filters of player is the only alternative i can think of for lavfilter.
So do I need to use it if i'm using Potplayer or MPC-HC?
BluesFanUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2016, 18:37   #41656  |  Link
iSeries

Hi guys,

I'd really appreciate some help in figuring out why I don't get a seek bar with windowed/fullscreen overlay. If I switch to exclusive mode, the seek bar is there. Switch back to overlay, no seek bar. Does anyone have any ideas?
iSeries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2016, 19:30   #41657  |  Link
huhn

which seek bar are you talking about?
Old 21st December 2016, 20:06   #41658  |  Link
iSeries

The seek bar which allows navigating through the film - move mouse to bottom of screen, seek bar should appear

Last edited by iSeries; 21st December 2016 at 20:12.
Old 21st December 2016, 20:29   #41659  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSeries View Post
Hi guys,

I'd really appreciate some help in figuring out why I don't get a seek bar with windowed/fullscreen overlay. If I switch to exclusive mode, the seek bar is there. Switch back to overlay, no seek bar. Does anyone have any ideas?
I think the player needs to use madVR's API to draw the seek bar, I know Zoom Player draws its UI through madVR so the bars (edit: and all its UI elements) work with overlay and without kicking you out of FSE.

Last edited by Asmodian; 21st December 2016 at 20:52.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2016, 20:38   #41660  |  Link
iSeries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I think the player needs to use madVR's API to draw the seek bar, I know Zoom Player draws it's UI through madVR so the bars work with overlay and without kicking you out of FSE.
So MadVR's own seekbar won't show with overlay? I'm using MPC-HC.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling