Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 30th August 2017, 19:47   #45261  |  Link
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
MPC-HC has them built in. You can install the standalone LAV as well though, LAV filters and madVR work well together.
I install them as well, but copy the contents of the x64 folder into the MPC-HC LAV filters folder if they're newer (nightly). You could also just wait for MPC-HC nightly which updates LAV as well.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2017, 20:59   #45262  |  Link
iSeries

Recently switched to Windows 10 from 7 (clean install). Having a couple issues now. Overlay mode doesn't work too well now (GTX 950), it drops frames at random points for seemingly no reason, like 6-7 at a time. Perhaps every 10 minutes or so. Overlay mode worked flawlessly with Windows 7. D3D11 exclusive mode seems to work ok, however, if I hover over the MadVR seek bar, the queues empty and starts dropping frames. Move mouse away form the seek bar and playback returns to normal. Anyone else seen that? D3D11 windowed mode seems to be robust, but hovering over the MPC-HC seek bar I get 1 presentation glitch (better than frame drops)

Last edited by iSeries; 30th August 2017 at 21:02.
iSeries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2017, 21:05   #45263  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSeries View Post
however, if I hover over the MadVR seek bar, the queues empty and starts dropping frames. Move mouse away form the seek bar and playback returns to normal. Anyone else seen that? D3D11 windowed mode seems to be robust, but hovering over the MPC-HC seek bar I get 1 presentation glitch (better than frame drops)
That's to be expected, yes (at least for a short duration). Changing volume a lot via mouse wheel will even emtpy your queues, we just have to live with it.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2017, 21:09   #45264  |  Link
iSeries

Ok thanks, although I don't recall ever seeing that on Windows 7
iSeries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2017, 21:23   #45265  |  Link
XMonarchY

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
DSR is working by "lying" to the OS with a wrong resolution that does not exist(isn'T supported so it shouldn't be possible to change this resolution timings.

and you should never use madVR together with DSR.
you just get madVR to output a higher resolution so the GPU driver is downscaling it with a really bad scaler nothing else.

is may works with a none DSR resolution custom refreshrate that is used by DSR but again this is just a good way to get bad quality.
I do not use DSR as a way to update playback, but as a way to upscale game video. However, even having DSR enabled (but not used) prevents madVR's Custom Refresh Rates from sticking because DSR already resides as a custom resolution AFAIK.

If I disable DSR, use madVR's custom refresh rate tool + optimize, then it gets saved. Then, if I re-enable DSR (even without using it), then madVR's custom refresh rate disappears and DSR custom resolution appears. I wish there was a way to preserve optimization settings to quickly re-apply them.
Old 30th August 2017, 23:36   #45266  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSeries View Post
Recently switched to Windows 10 from 7 (clean install). Having a couple issues now. Overlay mode doesn't work too well now (GTX 950), it drops frames at random points for seemingly no reason
Check you're on Adaptive power mode.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2017, 01:25   #45267  |  Link
aufkrawall

That can btw. also happen in windowed mode. Definitely avoid "optimum" power profile.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2017, 05:24   #45268  |  Link
mbordas

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
CVT RB2 is technically one of the best modes to use since it reduces the blanking overhead and increases the pixel clock precision, but not all displays support it
That explains why reducing the back porch (which reduces the blanking interval) gives me almost perfect 23.976 refresh. But in order to do this, I have to lower the total pixels on my TV to 1123, and that results in weird lines either at the top or bottom of the screen, which must be a result of the missing pixels. There doesn't seem to be any way to both get close to the exact refresh rate and avoid this problem. Is there something about plasma TVs that might cause this?
mbordas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2017, 06:05   #45269  |  Link
JarrettH

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
It should be exactly as smooth as smooth motion, because all smooth motion does it simulate a monitor which has a refresh rate that perfectly matches your movie frame rate. Basically 71hz should look exactly like smooth motion, minus the minor blurring and ghosting that some users see (and some don't) when using smooth motion.
Ah, that explains things. While it's smoother now, it's not like the immersive experience of smooth motion. I don't think my monitor is doing 71.928 hz for real.
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2017, 08:07   #45270  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbordas View Post
That explains why reducing the back porch (which reduces the blanking interval) gives me almost perfect 23.976 refresh. But in order to do this, I have to lower the total pixels on my TV to 1123, and that results in weird lines either at the top or bottom of the screen, which must be a result of the missing pixels. There doesn't seem to be any way to both get close to the exact refresh rate and avoid this problem. Is there something about plasma TVs that might cause this?

you are sending a digital signal so it doesn't matter if the display is a plasma or LCD the panel it self doesn't get this signal. so it comes down to the chip that get's the signal.

and because you are talking about the perfect 23p refresh rate i recommend you to read again what you should try to achieve with a custom refresh rate because it is clearly not perfect 23p.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2017, 13:26   #45271  |  Link
cyber201

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Not sure what you mean with "edit equally"? You can simply assign the EDID values, if that helps, you don't have to change them in any way.
Thanks for your support.
Now I try to optimize the custom mode 23p.
Select 23p, edit and then apply the EDID info. Now I can press the Optimize Button.
Start a video with 23.976 fps and then I have this screen:
https://ibb.co/goRmgk

The i press Optimize and select the Optimize Pixel Clock #1
https://ibb.co/hiFe1k

I select this profile, reboot the PC but when i start the video with 23.976 fps, I have always 1 frame repeat every 4.40 min.
why?

This is my setting
https://ibb.co/jtxWE5

Where is my error?
I have a nVidia 1070GTX GPU

Thanks a lot

Last edited by cyber201; 31st August 2017 at 15:18. Reason: remove image
cyber201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2017, 13:56   #45272  |  Link
Q-the-STORM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber201 View Post
This is my setting
Don't upload attachments, they take ages to get approved.... upload images to a image hoster...
Q-the-STORM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2017, 18:01   #45273  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber201 View Post
I select this profile, reboot the PC but when i start the video with 23.976 fps, I have always 1 frame repeat every 4.40 min.
Try starting with a different mode, perhaps CVT RB2 as nevcairiel mentioned.

With my display and GPU every set of timings after the first optimization pass measured worse then the first one. The first optimization of CVT RB2 got me to an estimated 18h before a frame drop but subsequent optimizations have measured as bad as 10 minutes. I think exact change in timings for a particular fps is not an exact thing, which is why madVR has to re-measure and re-tune after the first time.

Maybe let it play undisturbed for an hour or so as well, give madVR more time to get accurate measurement.
Old 31st August 2017, 18:44   #45274  |  Link
cyber201

Quote:
Try starting with a different mode, perhaps CVT RB2 as nevcairiel mentioned.

With my display and GPU every set of timings after the first optimization pass measured worse then the first one. The first optimization of CVT RB2 got me to an estimated 18h before a frame drop but subsequent optimizations have measured as bad as 10 minutes. I think exact change in timings for a particular fps is not an exact thing, which is why madVR has to re-measure and re-tune after the first time.

Maybe let it play undisturbed for an hour or so as well, give madVR more time to get accurate measurement.
I have try to play two video for 2h and the stranger things is that the timing profile in the madvr custom table not is the same on video playback. I have find this issue when enable CTRL+J in playback mode and the Display Hz is different of the Display Hz set in the madvr custom mode profile.
It is like the settings are not saved.

If I try CVT RB1 or RB2, my TV screen is flickering.
I must start whit EDID profile.
Old 31st August 2017, 19:44   #45275  |  Link
Asmodian

Hmm, that sounds like a driver issue or something. It definitely will not be correct if madVR is not switching to the correct refresh rate. By different do do you mean by 0.002 Hz, 0.1 Hz, or 30 Hz?
Old 31st August 2017, 19:57   #45276  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Are these settings ok for downscaling? http://imgur.com/a/V5GBj
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2017, 20:41   #45277  |  Link
Asmodian

Absolutely, you can always trust madVR.

madVR's choices are all decent options relative to the quality selected for luma doubling. If you have a little performance to spare, but not enough to go to medium for luma doubling, you can try to turn it up a little but it is not important.
Old 31st August 2017, 20:43   #45278  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Absolutely, you can always trust madVR.

madVR's choices are all decent options relative to the quality selected for luma doubling. If you have a little performance to spare, but not enough to go to medium for luma doubling, you can try to turn it up a little but it is not important.
I tried medium, and it jumped my rendering time with 4 ms...form 15 ms to 19 ms, I have turned error diffusion 1 for dithering, not sure if I see the difference between ordered dithering and error diffusion. Monitor is 8 bit.
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2017, 20:53   #45279  |  Link
cyber201

Quote:
Hmm, that sounds like a driver issue or something. It definitely will not be correct if madVR is not switching to the correct refresh rate. By different do do you mean by 0.002 Hz, 0.1 Hz, or 30 Hz?
No, the display switch correctly to 23Hz but the refresh rate is always the same. Not apply the refresh rate of the custom config.
My display is always 23.95055 Hz.

What you mean "By different do do you mean by 0.002 Hz, 0.1 Hz, or 30 Hz?" ??
Old 31st August 2017, 21:09   #45280  |  Link
Q-the-STORM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siso View Post
I tried medium, and it jumped my rendering time with 4 ms...form 15 ms to 19 ms, I have turned error diffusion 1 for dithering, not sure if I see the difference between ordered dithering and error diffusion. Monitor is 8 bit.
As long as you stay under 41ms, you're good.... (Assuming 23.976fps content)
Q-the-STORM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling