Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting

Old 26th July 2018, 11:24   #1  |  Link
Dandu

HD DVD and libaacs

I have a dumb question : actually, it's possible to read Blu-ray and Blu-ray with libaacs and VLC (or many other software).

Is this possible to do the same with HD DVD ? I have seen on this forum that AACS is essentially the same on HD DVD and Blu-ray, but with little difference, like the name of files who contain the information (Unit_Key_RO.inf vs. VTKF000.AACS). And many old software can decode AACS for both disc.

Actually, i'm not a good programmer, i can try to understand libaacs and make little modification, but it's seem to hard for me. But i can test : i have many HD DVD drive for the test (and disc).

For the moment, i can read EVO file with VLC and i have tried with HD DVD without AACS and it works. And btw, many keys are on this forum. And i'm not sure of a thing : are the PK from KEYDB.cfg the same for both HD DVD and Blu-ray, or is there PK for Blu-ray and other key for HD DVD ?

I suppose it's possible to modifiy libaacs to read the correct files on the disc and decode like with Blu-ray, but i don't know if it's very hard or not.

(sorry for my english, i'm french native speakers)
Dandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2018, 12:02   #2  |  Link
candela

The PK work for both BD and HDDVD. Note that the PK in keydb.cfg with the comment "; DK_v*" are actually device keys and don't work in that notation for libaacs, see here

However, to use PK or DK you also need a working HC (host certificate) in keydb.cfg. If the certificates in keydb.cfg are still working for your drive, stop using the drive for BD discs now to make sure the certificate is not revoked

To no longer be dependent on the certificate in the future, get the keys for your discs using for example AACSkeys ("aacskeys -v drive:"). Only VUK is needed but I recommend saving the complete aacskeys output so you have all the keys (VUK/VID/MK/TLK) for your discs and in the future a more complete keydb.cfg is possible.

You can maybe also look at the source code for AACSkeys on how to implement HDDVD support in libaacs. I would also be interested but probably not many people still have HDDVD drives and discs so interest in it is probably very low.
candela is offline   Reply With Quote