Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 5th December 2016, 15:17   #1  |  Link
J. Scott Elblein

Rename files based on chapter title?

Hey all,

So, what I have here is, 71 small mkv files, that I split from 1 large mkv file (a bunch of Mr. Magoo cartoons, all in 1 file actually ), using ToolNix's splitting-at-chapters function. So now the files are all named something like title00-1(incremented number).mkv. What I'm wanting to do now is automate the renaming of each file to match the chapter title (which is the episode name itself) contained within each individual mkv file. I should also note that the way ToolNix did the splitting, often-times each file will contain 2 chapters in it, so I always want to use the first chapter as the file name.

Does anyone know of a way to do this? I've done a bit of Google-Fu, without much luck so far.
J. Scott Elblein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2016, 17:16   #2  |  Link
johnmeyer

Bulk Rename Utility

It can do everything you want, and more. I've used it for years. For truly advanced renaming, you can use the built-in "regular expression" capability, although you will need to learn a little programming to make that work.

You'll have to first extract the title from the MKV file, but once you have those names, you can use this tool.

Since the actual video is nothing more than Mr. Magoo cartoons, you could also just find an episode list somewhere online, and use the episode titles you find there. Hopefully the episodes were lined up in the original MKV file in some sort of chronological order.

Last edited by johnmeyer; 5th December 2016 at 17:21.
johnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mkvtoolnix, rename