Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Programming and Hacking > Development

Old 1st December 2017, 02:56   #1481  |  Link
manolito

Hi danlock,

interesting report...
I am quite sure that it's not Lame.exe which is to blame, but that it is something about the latest Alpha versions of LXP which causes the issue.

I still use the current stable version 4.15, and because I never liked LoRd_MuldeR's approach to use Alpha versions of some helper tools even in stable LXP versions I regularly replace these tools with stable versions. In this case it was Lame v. 3.100 Alpha which I replaced with v. 3.95 stable.

After your post I updated Lame for LXP with the current stable version 3.100 (I used the RareWares download), and it works flawlessly for decoding and encoding. No problems whatsoever, and for me this means that the fault you are experiencing is caused not by Lame.exe, but by the current LXP Alpha.

Cheers
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2017, 04:54   #1482  |  Link
danlock

Right... the stable build has the older version of LAME and older versions of Opus and opusenc.

I want the newer Opus very much [from the unreleased builds] because it is a large upgrade in terms of audio quality when encoding certain files and fixes some bugs.

The unreleased alpha/beta builds contain, as far as LAME goes, an update to "LAME encoder v3.100 Final (2017-10-13), compiled with ICL 18.0 and MSVC 14.1" ...

I'm wondering if I lack a support file to run files compiled "with ICL 18.0 and MSVC 14.1". I'll check for a Microsoft runtime for MSVC 14.1 and see if my up-to-date system already has it installed. I'll have to search for ICL because I'm not sure what that acronym stands for. I'm too tired right now to verify that particular acronym, so I'll check it later... or it might pop into my head when I'm more alert.

Thanks for the reply! I know rolling back to the most recent stable build is an option, but that would mean using libopus 1.x rather than the newest 2.1.1 [virtually identical to 2.1] for encoding, and 1.1.x and 2.x behave surprisingly differently when encoding audio.

You can check opus-codec.org or the Opus RFC's most recent update at ietf.org as well as the Opus thread on hydrogenaud.io for a more precise Opus changelog... but I digress.

I'm eager to read LoRd MuldeR's response... does LAME 3.100 Final support every variation of MP3-encoded file? It says Final so it should, right? Did any of the CLI options change that haven't yet been fixed in LameXP's code, or does its method of invocation/hooking differ in some way from the earlier versions of LAME and/or mpg123 which worked correctly? [This version might work correctly as well, depending on a few things on my end.]

I still suspect it might be a missing dependency on my system rather than anything LM did. I keep forgetting to check for and validate certain things that might be responsible.... hmm.

Last edited by danlock; 1st December 2017 at 05:00.
danlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2017, 05:45   #1483  |  Link
manolito

I assume that you are familiar with the LXP method to replace built-in tools with different versions...
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...10#post1806010

Using this method it should be easy to replace the built-in Opus files (opusdec.exe and opusenc.exe) with newer ones. Of course only as long as the user interface has not changed.

As for your concerns about missing support files for newer executables I don't think so. ICL means "Intel Compiler" and MSVC stands for "Microsoft Visual C". LoRd_MuldeR always made sure that LXP is self-contained so it does not need any additional support libraries.

Cheers
manolito
Old 1st December 2017, 17:15   #1484  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlock View Post
First, obligatory (IMO) appreciation as part of my first post: I love LameXP and have used it for years!
You are welcome!

Quote:
When converting from any MP3-format file, LameXP stops before decoding the MP3 with an error similar to this:
LameXP v4.16 (Build #2056), compiled on 2017-11-25 at 16:05:01

-------------------------------

The format of this file is NOT supported:
E:/<directory>/<filename>.mp3

Container Format: MPEG Audio
Audio Format: Type: MPEG Audio, Profile: Layer 3, Version: 1, Bitrate: ≈64 kbps (Variable)
128 kbps (constant) and 320 kbps (constant) files from other sources abort with the same error (indicating the relevant format in the error text).[INDENT]
Hello, is that really everything you can see in the log of the failed job?

I'm suspicious, because I can see no error there. Doesn't even look like it started doing anything

Quote:
As far as I can remember, the first version which used the "new" version of LAME did not abort MP3 decoding with that error, but more-recent versions of LameXP have presented that error upon MP3 decode.
I am pretty sure that this problem is not related to the LAME encoder, or the MPG123 decoder, since from you log it doesn't look like we ever got to the point where any of those would be invoked.

Instead, I suspect that it is somehow related to the recent MediaInfo changes. I will have to look into this ASAP... (but not tonight )

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 1st December 2017 at 17:20.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2017, 01:50   #1485  |  Link
danlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
Hello, is that really everything you can see in the log of the failed job?
Before that, it [the command window] shows the usual startup information and checks for the presence of the optional other licensed codec files (Nero/FHG/ALAC), then says the file was added correctly. After a line break or two, it then displays the text I quoted in my initial message (presumably text which was displayed after I tried to convert the MP3).

Quote:
I'm suspicious, because I can see no error there. Doesn't even look like it started doing anything
Yeah, that's all there is, which is what confused me also.

Only MP3 files seem to be affected, and the process of decoding aborts before it starts with a LameXP error window saying the file can't be processed and indicating I can click (double-click?) the filename for more details. The window displayed after clicking the filename is where the "This file is NOT supported!" error I quoted is shown. After that, I can close that window and continue using LameXP for other things or quit or whatever.

I've tried both changing and removing tags/metadata (ID3 v1.1 and v2.x) in the problematic MP3 files LameXP has told me were not supported (despite my having used them as source files in older versions of LameXP without error before) and LameXP still reports the files as "NOT supported" and doesn't even begin the decoding process.

I think you're correct in suspecting that LAME has not yet been invoked when the file is reported as being unsupported; in my fatigue when writing the initial message, I was confusing LameXP's error window with one reporting output from LAME.

Admittedly, I've only tried converting Ogg, Opus, MP3, WAV, and FLAC files during the time this "no MP3" error has existed in the betas, so I don't know whether any other non-MP3 files abort prior to decoding (Ogg, Opus, WAV, and FLAC work correctly and as-expected).

thanks!

Last edited by danlock; 2nd December 2017 at 02:08.
Old 2nd December 2017, 02:13   #1486  |  Link
danlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
I assume that you are familiar with the LXP method to replace built-in tools with different versions...
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...10#post1806010

Using this method it should be easy to replace the built-in Opus files (opusdec.exe and opusenc.exe) with newer ones. Of course only as long as the user interface has not changed.
I read that, but didn't think of it until now. Thanks for reminding me, manolito. I'll keep that in mind if I decide to use that method. (I think all the changes to Opus were internal and did not affect the interface.)

Last edited by danlock; 2nd December 2017 at 02:18.
Old 2nd December 2017, 02:21   #1487  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Instead, I suspect that it is somehow related to the recent MediaInfo changes. I will have to look into this ASAP... (but not tonight )
In my LameXP installation of the stable version 4.15 I have replaced the built-in MediaInfo.exe with the current version 17.10 from the Mediaarea Web page:
http://mediaarea.net/download/binary...ndows_i386.zip

and this does not introduce any problems. If the issue is related to recent MediaInfo changes, then it looks like it must be your MediaInfo build which comes with the LXP installer.

Should be easy to confirm by danlock:
Just download MediaInfo.exe from the above link and put the executable in the appropriate folder. If the problem disappears then it does not have anything to do with MediaInfo.

Cheers
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 2nd December 2017 at 02:23.
Old 2nd December 2017, 13:53   #1488  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
In my LameXP installation of the stable version 4.15 I have replaced the built-in MediaInfo.exe with the current version 17.10 from the Mediaarea Web page:
http://mediaarea.net/download/binary...ndows_i386.zip

and this does not introduce any problems. If the issue is related to recent MediaInfo changes, then it looks like it must be your MediaInfo build which comes with the LXP installer.
It is the "XML formatted" output of MediaInfo that has changed recently:

Quote:
Version 17.10, 2017-11-02
--------------
[...]
+ New MediaInfo XML output, with XSD, more suitable for automatic parsing. Use Option("Inform", "OLDXML") for keeping previous behavior
[...]
...and only the latest LameXP v4.16 builds will actually request XML format from MediaInfo. Which explains why older versions are not affected.

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 2nd December 2017 at 13:57.
Old 2nd December 2017, 15:36   #1489  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

LameXP v4.16 Alpha-10

Quote:
Changes between v4.15 and v4.16 [*unreleased*]:
* Upgraded build environment to Microsoft Visual Studio 2017 with Update-4
* Updated LAME encoder to v3.100 Final (2017-10-13), compiled with ICL 18.0 and MSVC 14.1
* Updated mpg123 decoder to v1.25.7 (2017-09-25), compiled with GCC 7.2.0
* Updated Opus encoder/decoder libraries to v1.2.1 (2017-07-26) and Opus-Tools to v0.1.10 (2017-05-25)
* Updated MediaInfo to v17.10 (2017-11-02), compiled with ICL 18.0 and MSVC 14.1
* Updated GnuPG to v1.4.22 (2017-07-19), compiled with GCC 7.2.0
* Complete re-write of MediaInfo parsing code, now using XML-based MediaInfo output
* Improved auto-detection of max. parallel instances on computers with SSD (or similar) drive
* Some improvements to output file name generation code

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 15th April 2018 at 15:11.
Old 2nd December 2017, 15:43   #1490  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Yeah, that's all there is, which is what confused me also.

Only MP3 files seem to be affected, and the process of decoding aborts before it starts with a LameXP error window saying the file can't be processed and indicating I can click (double-click?) the filename for more details. The window displayed after clicking the filename is where the "This file is NOT supported!" error I quoted is shown. After that, I can close that window and continue using LameXP for other things or quit or whatever.
So, the "format version" string returned by MediaInfo (in XML format) has changed slightly. This resulted in LameXP failing to select the "right" decoder class. Instead, the file was treated like an unsupported format.

Should be fixed by now, hopefully
Old 2nd December 2017, 18:39   #1491  |  Link
Floatingshed

Hello LoRd_MuldeR, I have only just discovered this excellent tool. I was searching for a quick and easy way to convert 12,000 audio files to a much smaller size for streaming use. Quality is unimportant, it is to serve as a reminder of how the audio sounds (begins and ends) in a remote radio environment. Anyway I am converting to ogg with quality -2, I could cut my file sizes even further by switching to mono but that option is only available for mp3. Can I possibly override the ogg settings somehow? Thanks.
Floatingshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2017, 03:32   #1492  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floatingshed View Post
Hello LoRd_MuldeR, I have only just discovered this excellent tool. I was searching for a quick and easy way to convert 12,000 audio files to a much smaller size for streaming use. Quality is unimportant, it is to serve as a reminder of how the audio sounds (begins and ends) in a remote radio environment. Anyway I am converting to ogg with quality -2, I could cut my file sizes even further by switching to mono but that option is only available for mp3. Can I possibly override the ogg settings somehow? Thanks.
Yes. Try adding the custom OggEnc2 option "--downmix". From OggEnc2 manpage:

Code:
--downmix            Downmix stereo to mono. Only allowed on stereo
                     input.
Old 3rd December 2017, 09:00   #1493  |  Link
Floatingshed

I followed the instructions precisely, created the tools/version folder structure but it doesn't appear to be using my oggenc2 at all.
Old 3rd December 2017, 10:44   #1494  |  Link
manolito

I think you misunderstood LoRd_Mulder's instructions. To add a custom option to the Ogg encoder there is no need to create a "tools\version" folder - this is meant for using a different encoder executable.

In LameXP under "Advanced Options" near to the bottom there are fields where you can add custom options to the internal encoders. Just enter "--downmix" here for the Ogg encoder.

Good luck
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 3rd December 2017 at 14:07.
Old 3rd December 2017, 13:48   #1495  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
In LameXP under "Advanced Options" near to the bottom there are fields where you can add custom options to the internal encoders. Just enter "--downmix" here for the Ogg encoder.
Exactly. Also there is a small help button at that location, which will show you other "custom" options you may add.
Old 3rd December 2017, 15:04   #1496  |  Link
Floatingshed

Oh how stupid of me, I didn't notice that the advanced options panel was scrollable. Duh!
Thanks both.
Old 4th December 2017, 23:00   #1497  |  Link
danlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floatingshed View Post
I didn't notice that the advanced options panel was scrollable.
@Floatingshed: In my experience, changing the bitrate and channels (mono/stereo/etc.) for MP3 files near the top of the Advanced Options tab will cause LameXP to encode Ogg files using the same options as long as the options chosen are valid for Ogg.

Using the Custom Options available for each filetype as suggested by manolito and verified by LoRd MuldeR seems like a more precise method of doing so, however.

@LoRd MuldeR: Thanks for the quick fix I wish all software were as easy to update as LameXP and other similarly-simple auto-updating programs! Vielen Dank!
Old 5th December 2017, 00:06   #1498  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

LameXP v4.16 Beta-1

Quote:
* Upgraded build environment to Microsoft Visual Studio 2017 with Update-5
* Updated LAME encoder to v3.100 Final (2017-10-13), compiled with ICL 18.0 and MSVC 14.1
* Updated mpg123 decoder to v1.25.8 (2017-12-02), compiled with GCC 7.2.0
* Updated Opus encoder/decoder libraries to v1.2.1-35 (2017-11-16) and Opus-Tools to v0.1.10-9 (2017-05-25)
* Updated MediaInfo to v17.10 (2017-11-02), compiled with ICL 18.0 and MSVC 14.1
* Complete re-write of MediaInfo parsing code, now using XML-based MediaInfo output
* Improved auto-detection of max. parallel instances on computers with "fast" (i.e. SSD or similar) drive

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 15th April 2018 at 15:10.
Old 12th December 2017, 15:15   #1499  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

LameXP v4.16 Beta-2

Quote:
* Updated Opus encoder/decoder libraries to v1.2.1-35 (2017-11-16) and Opus-Tools to v0.1.10-9 (2017-05-25)
* Updated Monkey's Audio binary to v4.33 (2017-12-01), compiled with ICL 18.0 and MSVC 15.5
* Updated WavPack decoder to v5.1.0 (2017-01-20), compiled with ICL 18.0 and MSVC 15.5
* Improved auto-detection of max. parallel instances on computers with "fast" (i.e. SSD or similar) drive
* Added "Visual Elements" manifest for Windows 8+ "Start" screen tile

Old 16th December 2017, 22:32   #1500  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

LameXP v4.16 Beta-3

Quote:
* Updated Monkey's Audio binary to v4.33 (2017-12-01), compiled with ICL 18.0 and MSVC 15.5
* Updated FAAD decoder to v2.8.6 (2017-10-10), compiled with ICL 18.0 and MSVC 15.5
* Updated ALAC decoder to refalac v1.64 (2017-05-19), compiled with ICL 18.0 and MSVC 15.5
* Updated WavPack decoder to v5.1.0 (2017-01-20), compiled with ICL 18.0 and MSVC 15.5
* Updated QAAC add-in (separate download) to QAAC v2.64 (2017-07-19), compiled with ICL 18.0 and MSVC 15.5
* Added "Visual Elements" manifest for Windows 8+ "Start" screen tile[/COLOR]

Tags
aac, aotuv, flac, lame, lamexp, mp3, mp4, ogg, oggenc, opus, vorbis