Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC)

Old 19th February 2022, 18:55   #521  |  Link
pacuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yups View Post
It's called fixed function in QSVEnc. Intel calls it low power.

--fixed-func use fixed func instead of GPU EU (default: off)
I would like to test FF mode but notice crush each time I start encoding with --fixed-func.

Code:
--------------------------- Video encoding ---------------------------

QSVEnc 6.03

R:\StaxRip-v2.10.0-x64\Apps\Encoders\QSVEnc\QSVEncC64.exe --avsdll R:\StaxRip-v2.10.0-x64\Apps\FrameServer\AviSynth\AviSynth.dll --codec hevc --quality best --bframes 14 --b-pyramid --open-gop --sar 64:45 --sao none --fixed-func --cqp 20:22:24 --qp-offset 2:4:8 -i "R:\ninjago s03e30 dvd_temp\ninjago s03e30 dvd.avs" -o "R:\ninjago s03e30 dvd_temp\ninjago s03e30 dvd_out.hevc"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
R:\ninjago s03e30 dvd_temp\ninjago s03e30 dvd_out.hevc
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HEVC SAO is not supported on current platform, disabled.
cop3.DirectBiasAdjustment value changed off -> auto by driver
cop3.GlobalMotionBiasAdjustment value changed off -> auto by driver
QSVEncC (x64) 6.03 (r2496) by rigaya, Sep 25 2021 05:36:09 (VC 1929/Win)
OS             Windows 10 x64 (19043) [UTF-8]
CPU Info       11th Gen Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60GHz [TB: 4.00GHz] (8C/16T) <Tigerlake>
GPU Info       Intel UHD Graphics 750 (32EU) 350-1300MHz [125W] (30.0.101.1191)
Media SDK      QuickSyncVideo (hardware encoder) FF, 1st GPU, API v2.06
Async Depth    3 frames
Buffer Memory  d3d11, 24 work buffer
Input Info     AviSynth+ 3.7.0 r3382(yv12)->nv12 [AVX2], 720x576, 25/1 fps
AVSync         cfr
Output         HEVC(yuv420) main @ Level 3
               720x576p 64:45 25.000fps (25/1fps)
Target usage   1 - best
Encode Mode    Constant QP (CQP)
CQP Value      I:20  P:22  B:24
QP Limit       min: 10, max: 51
Trellis        Auto
Ref frames     5 frames
Bframes        14 frames, B-pyramid: on
Max GOP Length 250 frames
Ext. Features  WeightP WeightB QPOffset 
MFXENCODE: EncodeFrameAsync error: device operation failure..
Break in task MFXENCODE: device operation failure..
encoded 2 frames, 1.53 fps, 2608.80 kbps, 0.02 MB
encode time 0:00:01, CPULoad: 0.1
frame type IDR 1
frame type I   2,  total size  0.05 MB
QSVEncC.exe finished with error!
I have noticed --fixed-func sets QP Limit min: 10 when EU encoding mode sets QP Limit min: 1.
Is it important? How to enable FF encoding properly?
pacuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2022, 22:32   #522  |  Link
Yups

Try out the newest driver, if it doesn't help you need a bios update if there is a new one available. There was a bug on RKL-S which affected FF encoding: https://github.com/Intel-Media-SDK/MediaSDK/issues/2784

QP Limit is not important, it can't be changed manually anyways.
Yups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2022, 22:44   #523  |  Link
pacuro

Quote:
Try out the newest driver, if it doesn't help you need a bios update
Both updated right now. Still getting error. Thanks for hint anyway. Now I know there is global problem with hevc ff encoding on rkl. Hope folks are working on that in intel.

UPDATE: Asrock prepared alpha bios with some fix which did not help. I have replaced microcode to last version "50" for A0671 and FF encoding started working. 320 fps processing 1080p video.

Last edited by pacuro; 14th March 2022 at 15:00.
pacuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2022, 22:29   #524  |  Link
lt8nk

Hello everyone,
I am reading this post since few months because I would like to upgrade my actual configuration and this is the only forum where people are talking about QuickSync and its quality in hardware encoding. Here most people are talking about UHD750. But do you know if UHD710 (Pentium G7400T) is also able to obtain the same result ?

By the way, I saw a post asking how to get the VMAF value. Here is a software that calculates it : https://github.com/fifonik/FFMetrics

Thank you again for all these informations
lt8nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2022, 01:14   #525  |  Link
Yups

In the worst case GT1 graphics only supports the fully fixed function mode, otherwise it should have the same quality. It's the same architecture in the end.
Old 29th April 2022, 01:21   #526  |  Link
lt8nk

GT1 is Haswell. I don't understand. But what would be the consequences of only supporting the full fixed function ?

Sorry, even if I read the thread, I may have silly questions.
Old 29th April 2022, 12:29   #527  |  Link
Yups

For example the slower Atom from Intel supported Quicksync but only the fixed function encoding and not the shader supported Hybrid encoding from the faster Core lineup. I don't know if this is the case for UHD710 with only 16EUs, just saying this is the worst case. You can check my posting history, I posted several VMAF tests with FF and hybrid. Sure Hybrid has a better quality, although the difference isn't really big, however the speed difference is huge. Hybrid encoding might not even make sense therefore.
Old 30th April 2022, 14:29   #528  |  Link
lt8nk

Thank you. I found your post (https://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php...&postcount=451). I remember it now. I read it before. Hybrid is better but FF should be enough. Right now I am encoding in x265 medium with a Ryzen 1500x and it takes A LOT of time.

I used to hesitate with the 12100T but I'll try the G7400T or the G7400 as soon as the price of the 1700 motherboards goes down a bit. But I think it will not be for a few months. And I will come back here to share my tests with you.
Old 2nd May 2022, 01:10   #529  |  Link
RanmaCanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt8nk View Post
Thank you. I found your post (https://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php...&postcount=451). I remember it now. I read it before. Hybrid is better but FF should be enough. Right now I am encoding in x265 medium with a Ryzen 1500x and it takes A LOT of time.

I used to hesitate with the 12100T but I'll try the G7400T or the G7400 as soon as the price of the 1700 motherboards goes down a bit. But I think it will not be for a few months. And I will come back here to share my tests with you.
Why not just upgrade your processor to a zen3 like a 5600? You will get a significant increase in encode speed without having to spend much money on a new platform.
RanmaCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2022, 18:40   #530  |  Link
perrinpages

What is the quality of the Apple M1 based HW encoders? I haven't seen any real tests or comparisons done.
perrinpages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2022, 02:27   #531  |  Link
RanmaCanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrinpages View Post
What is the quality of the Apple M1 based HW encoders? I haven't seen any real tests or comparisons done.
From reading on the macforums, it's garbage tier as it's even worse than Pascal NVENC.
Old 23rd May 2022, 08:07   #532  |  Link
perrinpages

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanmaCanada View Post
From reading on the macforums, it's garbage tier as it's even worse than Pascal NVENC.
Meh. I don't trust them, no real evidence. They all seem to be using handbrake...I would rather see results using compressor.
Old 24th May 2022, 05:15   #533  |  Link
RanmaCanada

Quote:
Meh. I don't trust them, no real evidence. They all seem to be using handbrake...I would rather see results using compressor.
I doubt changing the software would make that big of a difference when we're talking about hardware encoding as the API should be pretty much the same across all platforms. But I don't use Mac's so I could quite possibly be very wrong. Take it or leave it.
Old 24th May 2022, 06:03   #534  |  Link
Ritsuka

I remember that it was mostly tuned for psnr, and right, unless Apple hided a secret "enable better quality" switch in Compressor, HandBrake will have the same exact output.
Ritsuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2022, 06:07   #535  |  Link
perrinpages

Quote:
I doubt changing the software would make that big of a difference when we're talking about hardware encoding as the API should be pretty much the same across all platforms. But I don't use Mac's so I could quite possibly be very wrong. Take it or leave it.
Handbrake's settings are fussy and the defaults are not sane at all. Yes, Handbrake and Compressor both use the videotoolbox framework, but we haven't seen any jsons or logs so we will never know if their conclusions on the quality are purely encoder based or if it's handbrake's filtering.

Last edited by perrinpages; 24th May 2022 at 06:18.
Old 24th May 2022, 06:36   #536  |  Link
Ritsuka

VideoToolbox has got exactly zero useful settings, I highly doubt I screwed something up when I implemented VideoToolbox support in HandBrake.
But if you know how to improve it, feel free to point it out.
Ritsuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2022, 22:23   #537  |  Link
RanmaCanada

Quote:
Handbrake's settings are fussy and the defaults are not sane at all. Yes, Handbrake and Compressor both use the videotoolbox framework, but we haven't seen any jsons or logs so we will never know if their conclusions on the quality are purely encoder based or if it's handbrake's filtering.
Well at this point, since you're being so difficult, maybe you should buy an M1 Mac and report back as it appears nothing will satisfy you unless you do it yourself. Logs are very rarely even posted here, and most people requesting said comparisons don't go to the level you are in regards to demanding proof.

Sorry but no one cares about Macs here it appears, so you'll need to do the legwork that others did in this thread.
Old 25th May 2022, 21:01   #538  |  Link
perrinpages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritsuka View Post
VideoToolbox has got exactly zero useful settings, I highly doubt I screwed something up when I implemented VideoToolbox support in HandBrake.
But if you know how to improve it, feel free to point it out.
Your implementation is fully optimized for HDR?
Old 25th May 2022, 21:23   #539  |  Link
perrinpages

Quote:
Well at this point, since you're being so difficult, maybe you should buy an M1 Mac and report back as it appears nothing will satisfy you unless you do it yourself. Logs are very rarely even posted here, and most people requesting said comparisons don't go to the level you are in regards to demanding proof.

Sorry but no one cares about Macs here it appears, so you'll need to do the legwork that others did in this thread.
Why are you so pressed? I asked a question and you replied with a useless macrumors forum that I've already read. In my first post I asked if someone had done real comparisons. Anyone who claims 2.5 Mb/s using x265 is an acceptable bitrate for HD content cannot be trusted to make quality assessments.
Old 26th May 2022, 04:40   #540  |  Link
BuccoBruce

Quote:
On Intel both HD630 and Iris Xe the constant bitrate modes seem to work a lot better with a low bitrate budget. For now only a PSN-Y test using this sample, all of them HEVC main 8 bit 1920x1080 at ~2.5 Mbit 24 fps/240 gop. varna, you might use this sample.
/snip/

The difference is really big, Gen9 looks much worse in the video.
Quote:
Another x265/x265 CRF vs Iris Xe CQP comparison using this sample.
/snip/
Would I be mistaken in assuming this would be the easiest sample to provide AMD VCE results for, for comparison's sake? Once I figure out a way to streamline running multiple encodes and then testing those metrics, and have enough time to play with settings.

I flipped through a few pages and didn't see any AMD results - or any single test clip with as broad a range of encodes/settings (thank you Yups). I have older Polaris Radeon/Radeon Pro WX cards with VCE 3.4 (technically Lexa, Ellesmere, and "Polaris 20" - they should differ only in encode speed, I'll double check VCEEnc's output but will most likely use the Ellesmere card) and a Radeon RX 5700 with VCN 2.0. I was always under the impression that while AMD's HW H.264 encodes were kind of rubbish, H.265 was "OK".
BuccoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote