Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 30th July 2009, 17:43   #941  |  Link
OAKside
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrC View Post
your issue (NTSC bitrate calculation bug) with 2.2.0 is known. Please check release 2.2.1 because it should have been fixed now.
Thanks for the donation! And the Vista style icon looks very beutiful! Good job!
Nice! I thought I'd read that about the bitrate issue, but it was a bit further back then I searched. Installing 2.2.1. And thanks (about the icon)!
OAKside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2009, 23:26   #942  |  Link
Richardw322

MrC, why the change on menu background from jpg to bmp? It's easier to find jpg than bmp, at least for me.
Richardw322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2009, 08:37   #943  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardw322 View Post
MrC, why the change on menu background from jpg to bmp? It's easier to find jpg than bmp, at least for me.
Do not worry, jpg is still supported. I have only changed the provided templates image format from jpg to bmp. Maybe the change log is not that clear.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
MrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2009, 13:31   #944  |  Link
Richardw322

Another question, I like to back up my DVDs and put the original away and use the backup. My DVD player wont read DVD+R DL disks, so I have to shrink to DVD5. I can use DVDshrink, but I lose the menu. Could I rip the main movie only and then use that plus AVItoDVD to build a DVD5 with menu? Would I rip to one big VOB with DVDDecripter?
Old 1st August 2009, 19:08   #945  |  Link
ohmy

Hi!

I'm new to DVD creation, and wanted to find a free, usable solution. Now I see there are no simple solutions, but AVStoDVD is getting closer.
If I can have some suggestions:

I'm using AVStoDVD 2.2.1 and trying to create a simple DVD with no menus from PAL DV videos. The DV tape has been copied into multiple files
(every scene change means a new file), so a 70 min DVD can include more than 50-100 files.

This gives two problems:
1. If the number of files is bigger than 99, AVStoDVD writes an "out of range" error.

2. The bigger problem is Muxman, which is muxing the sound and video. It seems, that it cannot mux more than 64 file, so I got this error after the successful encoding
of 77 file:
-- PGC "VMG_Lu1_Pgc1" Pre command group has 154 commands, maximum is 128.

And the job is cancelled after that.
I used Muxman gui, to add all the audio and video files, and it created the DVD, but I couldn't find where to add chapters and strangely the audio was out of sync.

After a week I found the solution to my problem, and created the DVD. I had to make 3 big file from the 99 small one using Virtualdub. On the DVD each file means a new DVD title, is there an option to change this?
I can only see chapters/title.

MediaInfo bug:
GSpot recognises the correct dar: 16/9.
MediaInfo GUI seems to recognise it too: 16/9.
But in AVStoDVD MediaInfo couldn't recognise the correct aspect ratio, so AVStoDVD tried to make 4/3 video.

I had to manually delete all Video.AddBorders(24,0,24,0) rows, and alter the VideoAspectRatio: 0 to VideoAspectRatio: 1.

If MediaInfo is not reliable (and I think it's not), an option would be good to change the aspect ratio for ALL files in one step
manually before DVD creation.

I searched for a day, which encoder, HcEnc or QuEnc gives better quality at highest DVD bitrates. I'm still not sure. So gave it a try. I set HcEnc OVP option in preferences, locked the
bitrates, than pushed the OK button. But after the START button, QuEnc was used. I looked at the avs script file, and it had HcEnc written in it. Still QuEnc was used.

HcEnc worked only after I pushed "save as defaults" in the preferences dialog. It's confusing.

While having unsuccessful tries in DVD creation, I was too lame to find how AVStoDVD can be stopped. While it's easy to accidentaly push stop in QuEnc, or HcEnc and have a bad DVD because of it,
AVStoDVD doesn't have a Stop option. I always had to kill it Task Manager.

Other than these issues, your program seems to do the job, and it's better than other solutions. Thanks!
ohmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2009, 22:11   #946  |  Link
OAKside
Cat

MrC,

One of the only things that bothers me about 2.2.x (vs 2.1.4) is the new Adv. Project Settings (+Settings).
I like to keep temp/work files, now I always need to remember to click +Settings and uncheck both "Delete" boxes.
Is there any way to save the +Settings preferences, or even just start AVStoDVD with the +Settings options open?
Old 1st August 2009, 22:14   #947  |  Link
manolito

@Richardw322
AVStoDVD is a great piece of software, but for backing up your DVDs it is certainly not your first choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardw322 View Post
I can use DVDshrink, but I lose the menu.
What??
DVDShrink has two modes of operation, the first mode will transcode the whole DVD including all menues, and the second mode lets you create "your own" DVD. In this mode you can add only the title sets you need, but you will lose the menues.

If you do not like the quality of DVDShrink in mode #1 then your alternative is DVDRebuilder which reencodes your source DVD from scratch (as opposed to DVDShrink which is a Compressed Domain Transcoder). The free version combined with the HC encoder is hard to beat in terms of quality vs. price...

Cheers
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2009, 15:16   #948  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

@Richardw322

using DVD-RB (as suggested by manolito) is the best choice to preserve menues and keep a good quality. If you want to use AVStoDVD you have to extract video, audio and subs with ReJig, save the chapter position (txt) with IfoEdit and load everyting into AVStoDVD.
BTW, I plan to add DVD structure parsing capability to next releases (for example to grab some titles/streams or part of them), so stay tuned.

@OAKside

what do you think saving the +Settings last selection in the registry?

@ohmy

hi and welcome here! First of all, thanks for your kind words and suggestions. Let's go with the sequence.

1. 2. The limit of 99 titles is set by BatchMux. We should address your request to Sir Didymus (the author), but he is very busy in the last months...

3. It's strange that MediaInfo GUI says that your DV file as a 16:9 DAR, while AVStoDVD does not. They use same MediaInfo DLL. Could you please send me a short DV sample? No plan to add changing the aspect ratio for all files in one step (generally speaking, I should do that for *every* settings, that's mean tons of code lines...)

4. Are you sure you have changed the encoding preferences before starting a new project?

5. I agree with you. A general stop button could help. I will put it the ToDo list.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 2nd August 2009, 16:22   #949  |  Link
Richardw322

Manolito, Thanks for the advise, I want only the main movie, and a menu. (The hell with the stupid promos, and I( don't use spanish or french or subtitles at all) Looks likek a pain with AVItoDVD, so I'll look at DVDRebuilder.

MrC looks like it would be fun once to learn, but a PITA. Sigh, install and learn another program....

Thanks guys!!
Old 2nd August 2009, 22:14   #950  |  Link
OAKside
Cat

Quote:
Exactly, that sounds great.
Old 3rd August 2009, 03:50   #951  |  Link
MysticE

Quote:
@OAKside

I'd like to see the '+Settings' options stay open and visible when I re-open the app. I long for the good old days when many options were readily available right from from the main screen.

So far the latest build has been working fine.
MysticE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2009, 13:59   #952  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmy View Post
MediaInfo bug:
GSpot recognises the correct dar: 16/9.
MediaInfo GUI seems to recognise it too: 16/9.
But in AVStoDVD MediaInfo couldn't recognise the correct aspect ratio, so AVStoDVD tried to make 4/3 video.

I had to manually delete all Video.AddBorders(24,0,24,0) rows, and alter the VideoAspectRatio: 0 to VideoAspectRatio: 1.

If MediaInfo is not reliable (and I think it's not), an option would be good to change the aspect ratio for ALL files in one step
manually before DVD creation.
After some searching I have found the clue. MediaInfo has 2 DAR tags: DisplayAspectRatio and DisplayAspectRatio_Original. The latter is to be used, if it exists. And for DV files, it does exist.

From next release DV aspect ratio will be correctly detected.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 4th August 2009, 18:52   #953  |  Link
ohmy

Hi, MrC!

> After some searching I have found the clue. MediaInfo has 2 DAR tags: DisplayAspectRatio and DisplayAspectRatio_Original. The latter is to be used, if it exists. And for DV files, it does exist.
> From next release DV aspect ratio will be correctly detected.

Thanks!

According to my other questions:

> 1. 2. The limit of 99 titles is set by BatchMux. We should address your request to Sir Didymus (the author), but he is very busy in the last months...

I searched for Batchmux, and yes, it states that 99 file can be used.
Though I think it will report an error when it has reached more than 64.

I can live with that for now, but I still have the question:
How to add files, so that they won't be separate titles on the DVD?

Example:
I want a 60 minute DVD with 2 titles. The second title starts at 30
minute. I would type that 30 minute somewhere like I can type the
chapter starting points.

But to make this DVD, i would use 10 separate files. They should be
seen as 2 titles (separeted at 30 minute), not 10 titles.
How can I make this?

> 4. Are you sure you have changed the encoding preferences before starting a new project?

Hmmmm. No. I changed the preferences while working on the project. I think the project has been saved once.
So to modify a setting while working on the project, I have to press "save as defaults" ?

It's still confusing to me, why a simple "apply" won't do the job

> 5. I agree with you. A general stop button could help. I will put it the ToDo list.

Thanks!

One more thing:
Which one gives better quality at high 7000-8000 bitrate:
QuEnc or HcEnc OVP or HcEnc two pass?
ohmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2009, 21:54   #954  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

@ohmy

1 and 2.
Actually you cannot join small clips into one title directly in AVStoDVD. The limitation is "one clip"->"one title". Better solution is to join your AVI using VirtualDub and then feed the big clips to AVStoDVD.

Pressing 'Save current preferences as defaults' does not change current project settings. It only writes preferences to Windows Registry. Reason of 'Apply' absence is that project settings are really a lot, always increasing and often each other dependant. It has become a mess to reflect a Preferences change to the current setup (until release 2.1.4 it was like that).

If the source has a decent quality, when using bitrate higher than 7000 kbps, even crappy mpeg2 encoders (do not ask me which, please... ) are good enough. So I suggest you to go with QuEnc CBR: it delivers good quality with a small amount of encoding time.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 10th August 2009, 01:51   #955  |  Link
MysticE

Hmm... Think I found a new way to make a few dollars.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0310025
Old 10th August 2009, 02:58   #956  |  Link
gizzin

Them f*ckers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticE View Post

gizzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 22:11   #957  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticE View Post

We are in good company...

Anyway, who is so silly to buy a CD when free (and updated) software is so easy to download?

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 11th August 2009, 09:47   #958  |  Link
MysticE

Quote:
We are in good company...

Anyway, who is so silly to buy a CD when free (and updated) software is so easy to download?

Bye
Well there is an eBayer (one of many) who has been selling open source discs for many years (Audacity, Cdex, GIMP etc). He has well over 10,000 transactions.
Old 13th August 2009, 19:48   #959  |  Link
Filbert

Quote:
After some searching I have found the clue. MediaInfo has 2 DAR tags: DisplayAspectRatio and DisplayAspectRatio_Original. The latter is to be used, if it exists. And for DV files, it does exist.

From next release DV aspect ratio will be correctly detected.
Thanks, I guess this will help with my missing dv aspect ratio too

Greets, Filbert
Filbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 21:06   #960  |  Link
MysticE

Got an odd problem which I just noticed. For some reason I'm not getting all the chapters as specified. This has happened with 2 projects.

On my last project, runtime 1:37:35 24fps (to NTSC), the chapter tab shows 19 chapter points (every 5 min). But the final DVD has only 16.

I'll try again to get a Muxman log.

Just tried another, no problems except the chapters, the tab showed 20 were to be created, but only 17 were. The muxman log showed only the 17 chapters.

Last edited by MysticE; 14th August 2009 at 17:36.