Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 12th February 2014, 14:51   #581  |  Link
HWK

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofan3d View Post
Unfortunately, it seems it doesn't work properly in the Intel Media core libraries

There is already a hidden feature in FRIMEncode (you can try it)

-gopfile gopfilename.txt

where gopfilename.txt is text file in structure:

<frame_no> I
e.g.

Code:
40         I
256        I
1025      I
etc. (frame_no starting 0)

BUT:
It seems there is a bug in Intel Media core libraries.
I observed the following:

1. when using -sw library, no extra key I-frame is inserted - never !!! Bad!
2. when using -hw library, and -gop 24 1 0 O (i.e. no B-frames), then Key I-Frame is inserted in expected position
3. when using -hw library, and -gop 24 4 0 O , the Key I-Frame is inserted but on wrong position (usually shifted few frames earlier) - Bad!

This is practically useless for HD video processing because B-frames are essential for efficient video encoding...

(I also contacted Intel regarding this issue, but it seems this is not their top priority (I guess they are concentrating to upcoming HEVC))
Thank you, I guess I will live without I frame support.
Old 12th February 2014, 15:21   #582  |  Link
HWK

Jdobbs, for SBS 3D. How did you prepare source files? I am wondering if it has to do something.
Old 12th February 2014, 16:13   #583  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWK View Post
Jdobbs, do you need more info from me about multiprocess of pacific rim. Also would you be interested in result of others.
Are you seeing any significant speed increase when using two instances with sw encoding? I'm just wondering if it is worth the effort. It would also be nice if someone tested with various settings to see if the -hw setting increases encoding speeds. I know your system is like mine, though, and doesn't support the -hw option.

If it looks worthwhile I could extend the splitting/encoding to normal (non SBS) 3D backups as well.
Old 12th February 2014, 16:17   #584  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Thank you, I guess I will live without I frame support.
It's not too much of a problem anyway. It just makes chapter seeking landings an average of 1/2 second off when strict GOPs are used. If open GOPS are used it might get a little worse, I haven't tried it.
Old 12th February 2014, 16:22   #585  |  Link
HWK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
Are you seeing any significant speed increase when using two instances with sw encoding? I'm just wondering if it is worth the effort. It would also be nice if someone tested with various settings to see if the -hw setting increases encoding speeds. I know your system is like mine, though, and doesn't support the -hw option.

If it looks worthwhile I could extend the splitting/encoding to normal (non SBS) 3D backups as well.
Yeah, my speed did increase but bottleneck was massive data rate coming into encoder.

BTW: I manage to reproduce your crash with another movie and I will try the setting which I used before to see if there is some sort of pattern which cause crash.

At this stage it is too early to say, but as soon as I have something useful I will let you know.

When I did pacific rim I only used I Frame in original video, no P and B. However I just did avatar with P and b frames included and it crashed as well. I am encoding it in such a way that it has only I frame and then I will run through FRIMEncoder and see what happens. Also few days back I posted about using frimdecode to serve frame and it caused crash as well if splitting is not done properly.

Last edited by HWK; 12th February 2014 at 16:28.
HWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2014, 16:31   #586  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Yeah, my speed did increase but bottleneck was massive data rate coming into encoder.

BTW: I manage to reproduce your crash with another movie and I will try the setting which I used before to see if there is some sort of pattern which cause crash.

At this stage it is too early to say, but as soon as I have something useful I will let you know.

When I did pacific rim I only used I Frame in original video, no P and B. However I just did avatar with P and b frames included and it crashed as well. I am encoding it in such a way that it has only I frame and then I will run through FRIMEncoder and see what happens. Also few days back I posted about using frimdecode to serve frame and it caused crash as well if splitting is not done properly.
You didn't have any issues when the split was done by BD-RB, did you? BD-RB scans the CLPI's EP_Map table to ensure the split is done at the right points.
Quote:
My best case was about 32% speed increase, and it averaged somewhere in the 20-30% range. I would expect to see a lot more on a HW based encode (assuming no bottleneck in the GPU). Of course that didn't do me much good since it crashes almost every time for me. The real pain is that it takes so long to happen. My last test went 78,000 frames before it crashed.

Last edited by jdobbs; 12th February 2014 at 16:48.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2014, 16:34   #587  |  Link
HWK

Quote:
You didn't have any issues when the split was done by BD-RB, did you? BD-RB scans the CLPI's EP_Map table to ensure the split is done at an IDR frame.
That test was not conducted by using BD-RB, I was just writing this to warn about issues I saw if you decide to go ahead with splitting/encoding to normal (non SBS) 3D backups option. If time and resource permit and you are willing to write code I can test it for you.
Old 12th February 2014, 16:38   #588  |  Link
HWK

Quote:
My best case was about 32% speed increase, and it averaged somewhere in the 20-30% range. I would expect to see a lot more on a HW based encode (assuming no bottleneck in the GPU). Of course that didn't do me much good since it crashes almost every time for me. The real pain is that it takes so long to happen. My last test went 78,000 frames before it crashed.
My time was roughly cut in half with that and if source was say around 23 gb in size instead of 163 GB. It was going at 0.98X speed. Also all read and write was done on same drive.
Old 12th February 2014, 16:51   #589  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
My time was roughly cut in half with that and if source was say around 23 gb in size instead of 163 GB. It was going at 0.98X speed. Also all read and write was done on same drive.
Interesting. All of mine were done with the source being on a different drive than the working folder. I think I'll test and see if that makes a difference. FYI, I already did some tests in which I placed a redundant executable and DLL in different folders -- and it still failed. I was thinking there might be an issue with multiprocessing calls.

Your system is definitely going faster than mine. I peak at around 14fps with two processes and most of the time it is 12-13fps.

One other thing I noticed... that lowering the output bitrate seems to speed up encoding. That makes me think it may be I/O bound.

Last edited by jdobbs; 12th February 2014 at 17:18.
Old 12th February 2014, 17:23   #590  |  Link
HWK

Quote:

One other thing I noticed... that lowering the output bitrate seems to speed up encoding. That makes me think it may be I/O bound.
Can you fire up resource monitor and see how much read and write is happening during encode session. Also how much RAM you machine have?
Old 12th February 2014, 17:34   #591  |  Link
HWK

Quote:

Your system is definitely going faster than mine. I peak at around 14fps with two processes and most of the time it is 12-13fps.
That was with target quality in Frim set to value of 4.
Old 12th February 2014, 17:46   #592  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Can you fire up resource monitor and see how much read and write is happening during encode session. Also how much RAM you machine have?
I have 8GB RAM. There's lot's of available/unused RAM during encode.
Old 12th February 2014, 20:31   #593  |  Link
Hajnal

hello

Gravity 3D
BDRB - FRIMEncoder for MVC encoding even sw or hw coded
-gop 24 4 0 S command , bad movie

but the command
-gop 24 4 0 O , good movie
Hajnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2014, 20:40   #594  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajnal View Post
hello

Gravity 3D

but the command
-gop 24 4 0 O , good movie
Please don't post any more of these. You've made your point -- but the reported issue doesn't happen to anybody else, and repeating it over-and-over doesn't change anything. I've personally done hundreds of encodes in testing and have never had a single issue with the strict parameter. I've tested on software players and standalone players. That leads me to believe it is your configuration (either setup or playback) that is at fault. Changing from strict to open GOPs is highly unlikely to cause any kind of detectable difference on a good playback device (other than slightly more efficiency).

Also, this isn't a BD-RB thread -- and we don't need to hijack it. This thread is meant for comments on the topic of "Free H.264 MVC 3D Encoder". If you want to report issues specific with BD-RB please post in the BD-RB Bug Reporting thread.

If anyone else out there is seeing issues when using the "S" (strict) parameter of FRIMEncode. Please post what you are seeing.

Last edited by jdobbs; 13th February 2014 at 16:51.
Old 13th February 2014, 16:48   #595  |  Link
jdobbs

@HWK

I took note of this post by r0lZ today. I'm going to run some tests to see if I still get the multiple instance issue with one of the v4.x.x.x libraries.

[update] No joy. Same issue.

Last edited by jdobbs; 13th February 2014 at 23:33.
Old 13th February 2014, 20:29   #596  |  Link
colinhunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajnal View Post
Gravity 3D
I did Gravity last night, latest BD-RB and MVC encoder running on software, using "-gop 24 4 0 S"... and it came out perfect. No problems at all.
colinhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 23:25   #597  |  Link
jdobbs

Has anyone here successfully used AVS2YUV to feed AVS files to FRIMEncode via stdin? I can't seem to get it to work. If I use AVS2YUV to output to a .YUV file and then use that as input and it works fine -- but no luck piping via stdin.

I know I can use the -avi option and read the AVS directly -- but I'm trying to find a workaround for an issue.

Last edited by jdobbs; 13th February 2014 at 23:32.
Old 13th February 2014, 23:53   #598  |  Link
HWK

Quote:
Has anyone here successfully used AVS2YUV to feed AVS files to FRIMEncode via stdin? I can't seem to get it to work. If I use AVS2YUV to output to a .YUV file and then use that as input and it works fine -- but no luck piping via stdin.

I know I can use the -avi option and read the AVS directly -- but I'm trying to find a workaround for an issue.
It is interesting I tried yesterday and I couldn't get avs2yuv to work. It says can't write multiple times or similar as error message. I also gave try avs2pipe which is modification of avs2yuv to allow audio as well but it doesn't serve raw yuv frames.

Oh well back on drawing board. Just an update I didn't have time to run avatar yesterday, I am hoping today I can make some time.

Last edited by HWK; 14th February 2014 at 02:20.
HWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2014, 03:57   #599  |  Link
HWK

Jdobbs, just update on multiprocess of FRIMEncode, it seems failure. Oh well at least attempt was taken.
Old 15th February 2014, 06:11   #600  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Jdobbs, just update on multiprocess of FRIMEncode, it seems failure. Oh well at least attempt was taken.
Yeah, same for me. I'm giving up for a while.

Tags
encoders, mvc