Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 1st January 2020, 12:25   #1  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

BD3D2MK3D v1.33: Convert 3D BDs or MKV to 3D SBS, TAB or FS MKV - Support thread

This is the official BD3D2MK3D support thread at Doom9. It replaces the original thread. (Now closed, it was active up to v1.17).

BD3D2MK3D is a tool to convert a 3D blu-ray (or a 3D AVC+MVC MKV created with MakeMKV) to Half or Full side-by-side (SBS), top-and-bottom (TAB) or frame-sequential (FS) 3D MKV.

BD3D2MK3D home (hosted at VideoHelp, thanks Baldrik !)

The current version of BD3D2MK3D is v1.33.
The latest version of BD3D2MK3D cal always be downloaded here: BD3D2MK3D.7z
The full modification history can be viewed or downloaded here: Version history

Please post all feature requests, bug reports or general comments about BD3D2MK3D in this thread, or at the BD3D2MK3D thread at VideoHelp. I will try to reply as soon as possible.

The old thread about BD3D2MK3D up to v1.17 can still be viewed here. It contains a lot of useful information but is now closed. A search for BD3D2MK3D here or at VideoHelp can also be useful.

Happy 3D viewing !

Last edited by r0lZ; 6th April 2023 at 10:58.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2020, 12:37   #2  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

BD3D2MK3D v1.19

BD3D2MK3D v1.18 implemented several fixes and little improvements:
Quote:
v1.18 (December 24, 2019)
- Added Subtitle Tools -> Crop Transparent XML/PNG Background to remove the useless invisible parts of a XML/PNG subtitle stream. This may be necessary fo convert full-width subtitles to 3D.
- The --alpha-crop 0 argument has been added to all BDSup2Sub command lines so that it will not crop the transparent background of the XML/PNG streams any more, except when necessary.
- The Verify 3D-planes Compatibility subtitle tool has been improved to include a global score indicating roughly the compatibility of each 3D-Plane with the analysed subtitle stream.
- The presence of all required files in the toolset folder is now verified at startup, as some antivirus software may quarantine some exe files due to false positive.
- Fix: eac3to crash when an AC3+ audio stream is converted to stereo.
- Workaround for a possible bug when checking for M$ .NET v4 on some systems.
- Little bug fixed: The _POSTPROCESS_2D.cmd file was not executed after a 2D encoding due to a typo in the filename.
- Updated x264 to the latest version (v0.159.2991)
- Updated mkvtoolnix to the latest version (v41.0.0 "Samarra")
- Updated the Intel library libmfxsw32.dll to version 8.18.6.8
- DGMVCDecode is now withdrawn and has been removed. It was useless anyway, and baby is happy.
BD3D2MK3D v1.19 is not an important release. It has only the new links for the official home and support threads in the Help menu:
Quote:
v1.19 (January 1, 2020)
- The home of BD3D2MK3D has changed and is now http://download.videohelp.com/r0lZ/BD3D2AVS/index.html
- The support thread at Doom9 is now https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=177317
- There is a new support thread at VideoHelp here: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...Support-thread
Happy new year !

Last edited by r0lZ; 1st January 2020 at 13:07.
Old 20th March 2020, 22:53   #3  |  Link
kempodragon

Encode for VR headset(Oculus, Vive, etc.)

I recently got the Oculus Quest and tried watching some 3d trailers online. It was absolutely amazing, just like being in the theater. I have several 3d blurays that I was originally going to get 3d tv for, but now I'd rather encode them for the Oculus. The players for Oculus recognize all the various types of 3d formats; SBS, TAB, and FS. Has anyone tried encoding for a VR headset? It looks like I can go full SBS, but I'd like some confirmation.
kempodragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2020, 16:21   #4  |  Link
mehenuf

After selecting BDMV folder it shows the movie is 1h56m (https://prnt.sc/s2re76) which is right but when i start the Encoding it shows only ~10000 frames and i faced it everytime i use a Blu-ray Source (https://prnt.sc/s2rgoc) is there any fix?
mehenuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2020, 21:13   #5  |  Link
kempodragon

Results of encoding for VR

I decided to take the plunge, and made a full SBS, 1080p encode of the movie "Dredd", the one with Karl Urban, since it has many scenes that are a good test for 3d. I used the default bitrate and encoded to x264 using two pass. The file came out to just over 6 gigs with no errors. I then used Skybox to stream it from my main system to my Quest. The only problems I encountered was I had to manually set the AR, and for some reason several subtitles had the left side cut off. Otherwise, the 3d effect was gorgeous!!! All scenes were crisp and clear, and since each eye sees only one image, there is no "crosstalk" or other problems inherent in other methods.
Since 3d tv's are no longer being produced, HMD are really the only option for watching 3d now. Granted, you can't stream directly from a blu-ray player, but I figure it's only a matter of time before some one solves that problem as well.
I have only one feature request, that you make it work with Ripbot, because it is the only program that uses the full power of a multi-core machine.

Last edited by kempodragon; 30th April 2020 at 21:20.
Old 1st May 2020, 13:05   #6  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Originally Posted by kempodragon View Post
I have only one feature request, that you make it work with Ripbot, because it is the only program that uses the full power of a multi-core machine.
For what?

The encoder x264 always use the full power of a multi-core machine not matter the GUI used.

Whit the same x264 r2991, and same settings, in MeGUI and Ripbot I run faster MeGUI (165.53 fps) than Ripbot (145.52 fps)

The difference is only the avs script used:
DGSource("input.dgi") in MeGUI
LWLibavVideoSource("input.mkv",cachefile="input.lwi",prefer_hw=3) with Ripbot

Here we use different avs decoders but the x264 use all cores also.
Old 1st May 2020, 15:29   #7  |  Link
kempodragon

Two words: Distributed encoding. I watched the cpu usage and encoding fps during my test, and it was only about 1/4 of what I get using Ripbot. DE lets me use all 16 cores of my Threadripper, and I've seen speeds of several hundred fps encoding to x264. I've used Ripbot exclusively for my encodes ever since I came across it.
Old 2nd May 2020, 03:27   #8  |  Link
tebasuna51

I have all my cores working at 100% with Ripbot and with MeGUI, maybe DE is necesary in your machine but not with the mine.
Old 3rd May 2020, 16:38   #9  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Sorry for replying only now. I have not been notified of the changes in this thread !
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehenuf View Post
After selecting BDMV folder it shows the movie is 1h56m (https://prnt.sc/s2re76) which is right but when i start the Encoding it shows only ~10000 frames and i faced it everytime i use a Blu-ray Source (https://prnt.sc/s2rgoc) is there any fix?
What do you mean with "it shows only ~10000 frames" ? What is "it" ? What is the number of frames in the __ENCODE_3D_MOVIE.avs and __ENCODE_3D.cmd files ?

Anyway, be sure to launch __ENCODE_3D_LAUNCHER.cmd and not directly __ENCODE_3D.cmd. The launcher ensures that the computer will not go to sleep mode during the encoding.
Old 3rd May 2020, 16:50   #10  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Thanks kempodragon for your positive feedback and your valuable information about VR playback.

You might be able to fix the problem of the aspect ratio by playing with the Settings -> Full-SBS/T&B Aspect Ratio options. Unfortunately, there is no well established standard for Full-SBS or Full-T&B, so you have to select the best combination for your equipment. Normally, Half-SBS, Half-T&B and FS give always the correct result.

The subtitle problem is probably caused by a bad behaviour of the player. To avoid it, I suggest to hardcode the subtitles. (See the last tab.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kempodragon View Post
I don't know or use Ripbot. Anyway, you can use any command-line encoder with Settings -> AVC/HEVC Encoder -> Use your own custom command for encoding. Of course, you must know what arguments you need to provide. And be warned: AFAIK, only x264 can include the --frame-packing tag necessary to instruct many TVs and players to switch automatically to the right 3D display mode.

Also, maybe the relatively slow encoding time is caused by the MVC decoder. It requires also some power.

Note also that you can force a certain number of threads with the thread argument. According to the x264 doc, it uses the full power by default, but perhaps you can try to force it to use more threads ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by x264 doc
threads
Default: 1.5 * logical CPUs detected

Enables parallel encoding by using more than 1 thread to increase speed on multi-core systems. Previously, this threading was based on a slice encoding model, where the video was encoded in n slices (where n == threads). Since r607 this model was changed to sliceless threading, where the 'atomic unit' is now macroblock rows. The rest of this section refers to the latter system only.

The quality loss from multiple threads is mostly negligible unless using very high numbers of threads (say, above 16).

The default setting provides more or less optimum speed. If you want to reduce the quality loss, use one thread (Not Recommended, unless all other settings are already maxed)

Last edited by r0lZ; 3rd May 2020 at 16:57.
Old 5th May 2020, 14:12   #11  |  Link
kempodragon

Thanks r0lz for the info about full SBS. I did basically a straight conversion, choosing only full SBS and using the default bitrate. I included the English subtitles partially because the dialogue is so soft at times compared to the background. They displayed at the correct depth afaik, but I don't have a 3d tv to confirm this. I'm inclined to agree about subtitle cutoffs being a bug since it only happened randomly. Even though I use the Quest, a mobile phone with the appropriate headset like Google cardboard or Samsung Gear VR will do for testing since Skybox has apps for those as well. Just make sure that your phone is fully charged before viewing, because playing 3d video will max out your phone's processor like nothing else.
Old 6th May 2020, 09:17   #12  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Thanks again for the precisions.

Can you verify the subtitles with a "classic" player on your PC ? You should see the 2 images side by side, and the subtitles should appear more or less in the middle of each view. And if there is also a problem, please try to do a screen capture, and post it here.

I guess VR is a good solution for watching 3D movies without a 3D TV, but I dread the quality of the sound. Ideally, it should be possible to send the 5.1 audio to a good hi-fi equipment, but I don't know if the VR apps can do that. Any info on that subject ?
Old 6th May 2020, 13:43   #13  |  Link
kempodragon

I'll check later this week on the subtitles. As for the sound quality, if you play it directly from the headset, then you're limited to the headphones. I streamed the movie from my pc, so it should be possible to choose audio output. I'll look into it since I have 5.1 speakers setup.
Old 13th May 2020, 19:07   #14  |  Link
prg4533

Error - Avisynth 64 bit: Not properly installed. Please re-install it!

Great software! thanks! Getting this error after installing BD3D2MK3D v1.19 and Avisynth+ 3.5 r3106. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Avisynth but get same error. How do I "properly install" it?
prg4533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2020, 22:54   #15  |  Link
tebasuna51

Do you have installed Visual C++ 2015-2019 redistributables?

https://github.com/AviSynth/AviSynth...2_vcredist.exe

Last edited by tebasuna51; 13th May 2020 at 22:57.
tebasuna51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2020, 09:40   #16  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Yes, the first time you install Avisynth+, be sure to install AviSynthPlus-3.5.1_20200402_vcredist.exe, or, if you use AviSynthPlus-3.5.1_20200402.exe, the VC++ redistributable libraries will be missing, and you have to install them manually, as tebasuna51 suggests.

I will modify the error message to suggest that vcredist may be missing.
Old 18th June 2020, 02:12   #17  |  Link
Sixsupersonic
(insert user title)

Hello r0lZ, I've been using your program on Linux which used to run fine with wine up until 1.18, because wine doesn't have powercfg.exe.

Since I only used the subtitle features I decided to port some of them to a few python scripts including the ones that
read 3D-Plane files from MVCPlanes2OFS.

So, I was curious if the source code for "MVCPlanes2OFS.exe" was available some where. I like to try to port it to Linux if possible.
Sixsupersonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2020, 08:04   #18  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Welcome to the Doom9 forums, Sixsupersonic.

powercfg.exe should not be mandatory. It is used only by the Settings -> Power Plans menu, and if you select to not change the power plan when encoding, it should not prevent to encode normally. However, I agree that it is launched when the program starts, just to know the current power plan. I will modify the code to launch it only under windows, and to remove entirely the Power Plans menu under Linux.

I don't have the source of MVCPlanes2OFS, because it has been written by Nico8583 (in Delphi). Unfortunately, Nico is not active here any more. However, I know what the program does exactly, and I should be able to explain how to write it. Write me an email, and I'll try to find the doc that was the basis for the program. Have a look at the end of the PgcEdit home page (link in my signature) to find my email address. Also, note that MVCPlanes2OFS.exe is a simple CLI tool that should run without problem under wine. Its syntax is extremely simple: MVCPlanes2OFS.exe source_MVC_stream destination_directory
Old 17th October 2020, 16:25   #19  |  Link
Spaded21

I have converted some of my 3D movies to half-SBS format. When I playback the file I switch my projector manually to SBS mode. It plays the movie in 3D but the video is squished down. The file that was created is 1920x1080 but in order to get the two images to fit within 1920 pixels it has to scale them down. Because the movie is 2.35:1 the resulting 3D video is effectively 1920x400. Am I doing something wrong or is this an issue with my equipment?
Spaded21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2020, 12:12   #20  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Well, it is well known that Full-SBS causes many aspect ratio problems, as there is no standard to follow, and each player reacts differently. It's why there is an option to change it : Settings -> Full SBS/T&B Aspect Ratio. But for Half-SBS, things are normally much easier. BD3D2MK3D follows the well established standard for Half-SBS and Half-TAB, and it's the first time a problem is reported. So, undoubtedly, your equipment is the culprit.

That being said, it is possible to modify the aspect ratio stored in the files used to do the conversion. (You can't use the Settings menu, as it is taken into account only for Full-SBS.) The aspect ratio is present at two places. The SAR (Sample Aspect Ratio) is stored in the video stream (and therefore it cannot easily be changed after having computed the 3D video stream). You can edit the --sar 1:1 argument in the __ENCODE_3D.cmd file. I suppose that for Half-SBS, you should try --sar 2:1, but I'm not sure. You may also try to simply remove that argument completely, and let the projector decide.

The second aspect ratio is stored in the header of the video stream in the MKV container. It can easily be changed even after having computed the video stream. It is in the __MUX_3D_OPTIONS.json, in the section about the video stream. You will see this:
Code:
	"--aspect-ratio",
	"0:16/9",
It is easy to understand that it should be sufficient to modify the 16/9 string in the second line. Again, I don't know what value you need to use. Try 16/18 or 32/9 and try also to remove completely the two lines.
To mux the final movie without having to recompute the 3D video stream, just launch the __MUX_3D.cmd file. It will recreate the same MKV but with the new aspect ratio. But remember that this will not change the SAR in the video stream.

I suggest to do your tests with a short clip. You can also change the number of frames to compute (the --frames argument) in the file __ENCODE_3D.cmd to compute only the beginning of a long movie, and test it rapidly.

Please let me know the values you have to use to obtain the correct result. If it's not too difficult, I will perhaps add an option to change that values from the GUI. Thanks in advance.

Good luck !

Last edited by r0lZ; 18th October 2020 at 12:16.