Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 14th January 2016, 13:02   #35321  |  Link
Aleksoid1978

Here moninfo - http://pastebin.com/F9gSN8TE
Old 14th January 2016, 13:47   #35322  |  Link
Aleksoid1978

madshi - you say that use D3D11 for 3D output. As i understand you use side-by-side packing type ??

I read some about D3D11 stereo format here https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...=vs.85%29.aspx and here i see info about row interleaved format.

Here https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...=vs.85%29.aspx write about stereo 3D capabilities for D3D11. And here we have too some info about row interleaved capabilities.

Maybe you do some test utilites or log/debug in madVR - that we can see stereo 3D capabilities for D3D11 and supported 3D format ??

Maybe it's help
Old 14th January 2016, 14:51   #35323  |  Link
Sunset1982

ok, I'll give it up for now. Can't get 3D running in with madvr/nvdia/win10.

I'll wait till end 2016 to get a new gen AMD card. Hopefully madvr's 3d support has fewer problems till then and I hope it will work with a new AMD card.

Maybe we should donate to get madshi a testrig with win10/nvidia card to investigate the problems further?
Old 14th January 2016, 15:00   #35324  |  Link
XTrojan

Regarding the 3D, I use stereoscopic player with "Side By Side" 4k 23p Playback, this makes the movie 1080P (1920x2160) and not half vertical res as most SBS converts.

The reason behind this is because MVC subtitles generally are buggy with MKV because there's no subtitle plane tracking in the MKV container, this will make the subtitles 2D, and if the movie is 16:9 the 3D effect will cut through the subtitles, often disrupting the viewing and making it annoying, if not dangerous for the eyes.

The only way to fix this "bug" on MVC MKVs was by putting the MVC video on the right and the 2D on left with subtitles on both sides and playing it side by side, if you don't have a 4k TV this would cut vertical res in half as said, but it's better than buggy playback.
Another thing is that you can't use .srt subtitles with MVC 3D effect as far as i'm aware, you need the original pgs in .m2ts container with the MVC VUI/SEI.

I wonder if you'll add this onto MadVR, as it would be a great feature if you can't fix the MKV 3D MVC subtitles.

Last edited by XTrojan; 14th January 2016 at 15:09.
XTrojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016, 16:24   #35325  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksoid1978 View Post
Hmmmm... I'm not 100% sure how to interpret this report. It could indicate that your display supports all the mandatory 3D formats, plus some more resolutions as "top-and-bottom". But it could also be interpreted as saying that your display only supports "top-and-bottom", but not "frame packed".

Then according to your earlier report, you've setup your display to be "row interleaved". That's one more 3D format, which is different from side-by-side and frame packed. The moninfo report doesn't say anything about row interleaved, but it's possible that the moninfo report isn't complete, I don't know, because "row interleaved" is pretty exotic.

Right now my best guess is that your display doesn't support frame packed 3D. Or at least that the OS and/or your GPU drivers think that it doesn't. Are you sure that it does?

If you think that your display does support frame packed 3D, then one thing you could is to make an EDID override to make it clearer to the OS and your GPU that frame packed 3D is supported. This process is explained here:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...(v=vs.85).aspx
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-hom...de-thread.html

One quick try would be to use the EDID of my projector with which 3D frame packed playback works just fine:

http://madshi.net/jvc.inf

If you decide to test this, I think you have to reboot after doing the EDID override. Afterwards, if you're using an NVidia GPU, please make your 3D TV primary monitor, then close and reopen the OS display resolution control panel. Do you then finally see the 3D checkbox appear there?

You could also try installing 3D Vision (not "3dtv play", which I think is something else), just to check if it makes a difference.

Quote:
you say that use D3D11 for 3D output. As i understand you use side-by-side packing type ??
I'm telling Direct3D11/DXGI to output 3D. Which exact format the output is sent as it not under my control. It should usually be "frame packed" and not side-by-side. My projector reports that it's receiving "frame packed" 3D, from all Intel, NVidia and AMD GPUs.

Quote:
I read some about D3D11 stereo format here https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...=vs.85%29.aspx and here i see info about row interleaved format.

Here https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...=vs.85%29.aspx write about stereo 3D capabilities for D3D11. And here we have too some info about row interleaved capabilities.
These are D3D11 DXVA processing properties. They affect the way DXVA processes video. I don't think this has much to do with actual 3D output to the display, because DXVA just processes, it doesn't output/present.

Quote:
Maybe you do some test utilites or log/debug in madVR - that we can see stereo 3D capabilities for D3D11 and supported 3D format ??
I've searched up and down the internet. There is not even an official API that allows me to ask whether the current display is stereo, let alone tell me which type of stereo! E.g. normally you would use EnumDisplaySettings(Ex) to ask the current display mode. But it doesn't return any information about stereo.

The only thing I can do is ask DXGI to return a list of supported display modes. Some of them are marked with a "stereo" boolean value. That's all I get. And when presenting 3D, all I can do is tell Direct3D11/DXGI that I want to render & present stereo content. I can't configure whether I want frame packed, side-by-side, row interleaved or whatever. That's all outside of my control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTrojan View Post
Regarding the 3D, I use stereoscopic player with "Side By Side" 4k 23p Playback, this makes the movie 1080P (1920x2160) and not half vertical res as most SBS converts.
And your TV actually understands that? I think that's one possible 3D format, but not a lot of TVs can handle it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTrojan View Post
The reason behind this is because MVC subtitles generally are buggy with MKV because there's no subtitle plane tracking in the MKV container, this will make the subtitles 2D, and if the movie is 16:9 the 3D effect will cut through the subtitles, often disrupting the viewing and making it annoying, if not dangerous for the eyes.

The only way to fix this "bug" on MVC MKVs was by putting the MVC video on the right and the 2D on left with subtitles on both sides and playing it side by side, if you don't have a 4k TV this would cut vertical res in half as said, but it's better than buggy playback.
Another thing is that you can't use .srt subtitles with MVC 3D effect as far as i'm aware, you need the original pgs in .m2ts container with the MVC VUI/SEI.

I wonder if you'll add this onto MadVR, as it would be a great feature if you can't fix the MKV 3D MVC subtitles.
I don't subtitles should be a problem for the way madVR renders 3D. madVR simply draws all subtitles on both left and right eye view at the same position. I think that should work just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset1982 View Post
Maybe we should donate to get madshi a testrig with win10/nvidia card to investigate the problems further?
I have an nvidia windows 8.1 machine and 3D works just fine here. I will probably upgrade to windows 10 sooner or later, but I doubt it will make a difference.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016, 19:43   #35326  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset1982 View Post
ok, I'll give it up for now. Can't get 3D running in with madvr/nvdia/win10.

I'll wait till end 2016 to get a new gen AMD card. Hopefully madvr's 3d support has fewer problems till then and I hope it will work with a new AMD card.

Before switching to AMD, better make sure there is at least one user able to display 3D with MadVR + LAV on AMD without the same bug as with stereoscopic player.

I have an AMD HD7870 (as per sig) and although LAV+MadVR do display 3D and report source and render in 3D, the depth isn't correct because there is a one frame delay on one of the eyes. This is a bug in the AMD driver, and isn't something Nev or Madshi can do anything about.

See https://community.amd.com/thread/168983 for more details.

I'm still waiting for someone to confirm this is working on AMD, and with which driver (I'm using Catalyst and haven't tried with Crimson).
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016, 20:03   #35327  |  Link
har3inger

I have some quick feedback re: chroma superres.

From what I can see, the superres for chroma is quite similar to the superres for image refinement right now. However, while the algorithm is great for luma, it's not good for chroma. In luma, superres enhances small details and edges by increasing contrast (darks become darker, lights become lighter at image transients), and the same happens to the chroma layers. However, in chroma, light vs dark is actually green vs red, or blue vs yellow, etc. When the edges have their contrast increased, you get increased wrong-color ringing.

In actual content, I haven't found any live action image that actually looks different with SR on or off. In cartoon, it can help in many situations, but also increase artifacts and ringing in others. It's also quite dependent on source quality. All in all, I don't find the performance hit to be really worth it.
har3inger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016, 21:13   #35328  |  Link

I'll have to do some testing to see when this changed, but I just watched my first PAL DVD in some time, and noticed that srcHeight is using the cropped values again, instead of the source height, so it ended up using my NTSC profile instead.

As a temporary fix I've had to change my profile rules to use uncroppedsrcHeight. (I still think that should be how srcHeight always works...)
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016, 21:34   #35329  |  Link
apgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post

No no no. If you disable 3D in madVR, you're supposed to see simple 2D, not SBS!!!

Are you really playing an MVC MKV? Or are you playing an SBS encoded MKV? Those are two *totally* different things. The new 3D support is atm only for MVC MKVs, which are straight remuxes from 3D-BluRay to MKV by using MakeMKV. MKVs encoded as side-by-side are not supported atm.
It is definitely not SBS or OU as it will play as normal 2D of I play it in jriver, but was a few months ago that I converted it to a 3D mkv.

Sorry from memory I can't remember if I had all the 3D tick boxes unticked in MadVR or just the 3D switching for 3D movies one.

Hopefully I'll get more time tonight to play around with it and I'll convert a 3D mk with the latest version of makemkv.

I'll also note what is outputted depending on which tick boxes are ticked in the 3D section of MadVR.
apgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016, 23:10   #35330  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
The best OS for video playback currently seems to be Windows 8.1. It's better than Windows 7 because it has a much better desktop composition.
Fair enough, but does it matter if we don't like Aero and have it disabled in W7? It's not all that clear whether DWM is just the fancy name for that Aero thing that makes desktop windows transparent
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016, 23:26   #35331  |  Link
MSL_DK

Hello ... I just bought a Panasonic TX-55CX700. I have a problem with obtaining 1080p/60Hz 4:4:4. AMD is set to Full RGB. madVR to 0-255. Panasonic is set to "HDMI RGB RANGE" Full. But the only thing I see is 4:2:2. Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong. I had no problem with my Samsung TV.
MSL_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016, 23:39   #35332  |  Link
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
Fair enough, but does it matter if we don't like Aero and have it disabled in W7? It's not all that clear whether DWM is just the fancy name for that Aero thing that makes desktop windows transparent
Leave Aero enabled, but disable transparency. That way your desktop is drawn in 3D instead of 2D.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016, 23:50   #35333  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
Leave Aero enabled, but disable transparency. That way your desktop is drawn in 3D instead of 2D.
Thing is, I don't even like the "glass" effects and I don't see why I should pay for GPU consumption when using the windows desktop. It can apparently be disabled(at least in W7) but I'm mostly asking whether DWM has any impact on mVR itself. I don't see what's wrong with 2D desktop windows, that's how I like them anyway. If I want to be thrilled by my GPU, I just fire up mVR
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016, 23:55   #35334  |  Link
Aleksoid1978

Question to all - anybody who have LG TV(or other TV models with "passive 3D") can do 3D output using madVR ??
Old 15th January 2016, 00:01   #35335  |  Link
jmone

I think I've found the 3D issue for me in MC and it has something to do with "Bookmarks" and how playback is commenced (100% repeatable):
- If I play the 3D MKV from the beginning it works.
- If I seek while playing it works.
- If I double stop (reset book mark) then playback will commence from the beginning and 3D works
- If I stop/play (so playback commences from where I left off and not from the begining) it will go to SBS / using D3D9. If I try to force D3D11 in the madVR Settings it will crash MC.

My test setup was as simple as I could get it:
- Fresh install of madVR with default settings (but Windows Exclusive unchecked) No other changes
- Put Win 10 64-Bit Desktop into 3D
- Put the nVidia Control Panel into 1080/23hz/3D (so no switching is required by madVR)
- Commence playback testing

I'll cross post this over at MC as well.

Thanks
Nathan

Last edited by jmone; 15th January 2016 at 08:02.
jmone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2016, 01:38   #35336  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSL_DK View Post
Hello ... I just bought a Panasonic TX-55CX700. I have a problem with obtaining 1080p/60Hz 4:4:4. AMD is set to Full RGB. madVR to 0-255. Panasonic is set to "HDMI RGB RANGE" Full. But the only thing I see is 4:2:2. Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong. I had no problem with my Samsung TV.
Try 24hz?
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2016, 02:25   #35337  |  Link
har3inger

I have a bug on my setup that cropped up recently, after the 90.x builds, not sure if anyone else experiences this:

Subtitles rendered in black bars will play at 1x speed even if video is set to 2x speed. Leads to desync.
har3inger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2016, 02:51   #35338  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSL_DK View Post
go to picture -> options settings and use 1080p Pixel by 4 pixels it's the closes you can get at 1080p. pure direct mode should result in a better all over picture. but chroma test picture doesn't really work.
the general scaler in this TV is bad.

UHD 4:4:4 works flawlessly with 4K pure direct mode.

23p doesn't really work on this TV so don't bother. is smooth motion or judder.

feel free to make a new thread I know a lot about this screen.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2016, 05:25   #35339  |  Link
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
Thing is, I don't even like the "glass" effects and I don't see why I should pay for GPU consumption when using the windows desktop. It can apparently be disabled(at least in W7) but I'm mostly asking whether DWM has any impact on mVR itself. I don't see what's wrong with 2D desktop windows, that's how I like them anyway. If I want to be thrilled by my GPU, I just fire up mVR
Almost everything will benefit from having it on. Try dragging a window around back and forth with it on and off. Which looks smoother?
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2016, 05:51   #35340  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Try 24hz?
Post deleted.

Last edited by Warner306; 15th January 2016 at 06:13.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling