Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 25th April 2010, 01:53   #7941  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuttle99 View Post
jdobbs question? I just did a movie only with 33.05 to bd9 I used automatic qualtiy setting and it choose to do it 1 pass and took about 6 hours I just installed 33.06 and going to try the same movie again with automatic qualtiy setting but this time it choose to do it with 2 pass I don't really care which one it chooses. I see you made changes to the new version on quality settings so I'm sure thats why it wants to do it a 2 pass but my question is does a 2 pass conversion always produce a better conversion compared to a 1 pass whether you can truely notice a differance or not the conversion is always better with a 2 pass?
With all things being equal (bitrate, source, settings etc.) two pass will almost always result in a better encode. It's a matter of better distributing the available bandwidth across the entire stream.

What you will find between this version and the previous is that all things are not equal because the presets have changed. That's why you will see different selections.

Let me know how long this one takes.

Last edited by jdobbs; 25th April 2010 at 01:57.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2010, 01:58   #7942  |  Link
Shuttle99

Thanks for the answer.
Shuttle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2010, 02:43   #7943  |  Link
turbojet

The 23.999 issue might be because Directshowsource.dll is known to change framerates hence the assumefps.

In the most recent version SUPPRESS_FF_WARNING=1 doesn't work, popup still comes up every time. I use this because I'm using x64 avisynth, x264 to gain speed, about 10% (good) to 25% (slow). It's an incredibly easy hack (if anyone would like to know I'd be willing to share) also shouldn't be tough to add to BD-RB itself (simple as check for x64 OS, check for Avisynth x64, point to x264 x64 exe, use 64 bit versions of decomb and ffms dll's.
turbojet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2010, 03:13   #7944  |  Link
9020V

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9020V View Post
Is anyone having trouble playing BDR-25 backups on PS3? They've been working fine up until a few weeks ago, I've noticed the last few I've done don't play properly on PS3 (full disc mode).

Surrogates would not play at all. It just went into a blank screen on the PS3 and I could not go to top menu or fast forward. Info said title 50 with 0:00:00 time.

I then tried Star Trek. At first it seemed like it was going to work. The starship appeared like on the disc-open sequence, but then it froze. On subsequent attempts, it blanked screen just like surrogates.

The Informat! plays all the trailers ok, but it blank screens when it gets to the main title (again, info says that it has 0:00:00 time and none of the menu buttons work).

All of the discs work fine in the PC with powerdvd and I tried a movie-only backup of surrogates and it played fine in the PS3.

Rips were done with DVDFAB. I tried re-ripping the burned disc with anydvd and disabling bd-live, but it didn't make a difference (I don't even know if it is a bd-live disc).

Anyone have any clue as to what the problem is? Is it some sort of copy protection that the PS3's latest firmware is preventing it from playing these discs? Oh, and I also tried them on multiple media types including verbatim BD-R 25 and same thing.
Oh, and one other thing. The Informant! was only a 17GB disc, so BD-rebuilder was not even used. So I suspect this may be a problem with IMGBurn or the PS3, but I am not sure. Has anyone else experienced anything like this recently? I've gone back through all the backups I've made and had to toss about 10 discs. I need to backup again, but don't want to start until I have found out exactly what the problem is. Again, only the PS3 seems to be affected, but I don't have another standalone player besides powerdvd.
9020V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2010, 06:48   #7945  |  Link
8ternity

Jdobbs:

Question. Can we leave checked the option "Use DECOMB with interlaced sources" ? I have seen that for my latest conversion "BAD_LIEUTENANT" i have ntsc 720x480 bonus movies having interlaced mosaics lines in the original and converted files, can we leave all the time CHECKED and it will not affect 1920x1080P and 1280x720 video files?

Thank You.
Old 25th April 2010, 06:53   #7946  |  Link
8ternity

Quote:
Oh, and one other thing. The Informant! was only a 17GB disc, so BD-rebuilder was not even used. So I suspect this may be a problem with IMGBurn or the PS3, but I am not sure. Has anyone else experienced anything like this recently? I've gone back through all the backups I've made and had to toss about 10 discs. I need to backup again, but don't want to start until I have found out exactly what the problem is. Again, only the PS3 seems to be affected, but I don't have another standalone player besides powerdvd.
What i've read about PS3, every backups on a BD-R 25GB use with PS3 need to be patched with AVCHD-Patcher.

Here the post about this tool.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=1662

8ternity
Old 25th April 2010, 07:03   #7947  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ternity View Post
Jdobbs:

Question. Can we leave checked the option "Use DECOMB with interlaced sources" ? I have seen that for my latest conversion "BAD_LIEUTENANT" i have ntsc 720x480 bonus movies having interlaced mosaics lines in the original and converted files, can we leave all the time CHECKED and it will not affect 1920x1080P and 1280x720 video files?

Thank You.
Yes you can leave it checked. It only applies to interlaced sources.
Old 25th April 2010, 12:47   #7948  |  Link
samtroy

Thanks for the new update, jdobbs! Much appreciated!
samtroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2010, 15:49   #7949  |  Link
9020V

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ternity View Post
What i've read about PS3, every backups on a BD-R 25GB use with PS3 need to be patched with AVCHD-Patcher.

Here the post about this tool.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=1662

8ternity
I've never used AVCHD-Patcher until a few weeks ago when a lot of the recent titles I backed up blank screened on the PS3. All the other ones have worked fine, including the few DVD9 backups I have done. I was under the impression that AVCHD-Patcher was not necessary anymore. Anyways, I might try it.
Old 25th April 2010, 16:10   #7950  |  Link
deank
Programmer (or just 教务长)

The post he quoted is from 2 years ago and is for different things... Outdated anyway.

You don't need AVCHD-patcher AT ALL for BD-R media. And you don't need it at all with BD-Rebuilder for "Movie only" backups to DVD media. The one thing you may accomplish using it is to break all.

There were a lot of reports of problems after updating PS3 to FW 3.30 - most of the reports about BD discs stop working/playing, console hangs, no sound, etc...

Another user reported issues but it turned out that the problem is with the media he used, so a good start would be to try your discs in another BD player before throwing them out.

It is possible that the blu-laser of your PS3 is on its way already...
Old 25th April 2010, 20:20   #7951  |  Link
SoniG

jdobbs : I had another field order issue, I sent you a PM.
SoniG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 01:58   #7952  |  Link
jfcarbel
Programmer

I see this requires Matroska Splitter. I have some other tools that mention the requirement of the Haali Media Splitter.

I assume these both cannot be on a machine at the same time. So what do I do in this case? Does one supercede the other and offer any features that might be needed by the other.
jfcarbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 02:21   #7953  |  Link
jdobbs

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfcarbel View Post
I see this requires Matroska Splitter. I have some other tools that mention the requirement of the Haali Media Splitter.

I assume these both cannot be on a machine at the same time. So what do I do in this case? Does one supercede the other and offer any features that might be needed by the other.
The Matroska Splitter is the Haali Media Splitter.
Old 26th April 2010, 05:32   #7954  |  Link
9020V

Quote:
Originally Posted by deank View Post
The post he quoted is from 2 years ago and is for different things... Outdated anyway.

You don't need AVCHD-patcher AT ALL for BD-R media. And you don't need it at all with BD-Rebuilder for "Movie only" backups to DVD media. The one thing you may accomplish using it is to break all.

There were a lot of reports of problems after updating PS3 to FW 3.30 - most of the reports about BD discs stop working/playing, console hangs, no sound, etc...

Another user reported issues but it turned out that the problem is with the media he used, so a good start would be to try your discs in another BD player before throwing them out.

It is possible that the blu-laser of your PS3 is on its way already...
The discs work in my PC, but it's just those recent 3 titles. All the other backups I've made that worked in the past still work. I tried those titles on different media, and same problem, so I don't think it's the media. This issue seems to have started occurring after I updated my firmware in the PS3 a few weeks ago. When I do a movie backup only, the movies work. Where can I find out more about the PS3 problem? I am curious to see if others are experiencing the same thing I am.
Old 26th April 2010, 06:34   #7955  |  Link
jfcarbel
Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
: The Matroska Splitter is the Haali Media Splitter.
Well, you learn something new everyday

I guess I have seen it referred to in many different ways and most times the developer has the splitter included in the download package so I never realized it was one in the same.

Thanks for clearing that up

On another note related to the splitter, it seems many tools mention you need to use their version and not the lastest release as their are issues with eac3to and lastest releases. I think the 11-1-2009 is the release suggested.
I looked at hashcode of your exe for splitter and it seems to be this same older version as well.

Last edited by jfcarbel; 26th April 2010 at 06:37.
jfcarbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 07:53   #7956  |  Link
Zot

Quote:
The discs work in my PC, but it's just those recent 3 titles. All the other backups I've made that worked in the past still work. I tried those titles on different media, and same problem, so I don't think it's the media. This issue seems to have started occurring after I updated my firmware in the PS3 a few weeks ago. When I do a movie backup only, the movies work. Where can I find out more about the PS3 problem? I am curious to see if others are experiencing the same thing I am.
I have a PS3 with 3.30 f/w. I've recently used BD RB 0.33.05 to back up The Young Victoria (movie only) to BD-25. No problems. I did a 1:1 backup of Avatar to BD-R DL. So the main menu, scene selector and movie. Plays fine. I dont usually backup extras, just the movie, but I haven't had any problems with playback. Watched a DVD I backed up 3 years ago with just DVDfab - menus, movie, extras - no problems. I've heard some people on another forum lament the memorex and ridata BD's go bad after several months. I haven't experienced that myself.

Z
Zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 14:19   #7957  |  Link
Mr. Monte

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
With all things being equal (bitrate, source, settings etc.) two pass will almost always result in a better encode. It's a matter of better distributing the available bandwidth across the entire stream.
Dark S says that this not true anymore. That CRF and 2-pass are the same. In THAT all 2-pass does is find out what CRF value to use. They both use the CRF algorythm, have lookahead and use a table.

Did I miss something?
Mr. Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 14:50   #7958  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Monte View Post
Dark S says that this not true anymore. That CRF and 2-pass are the same. In THAT all 2-pass does is find out what CRF value to use. They both use the CRF algorythm, have lookahead and use a table.

Did I miss something?
I think you're missing the context of what he is saying. Also, we weren't talking about CRF. We were talking about one-pass ABR. When you compare CRF to 2-pass, it's not an apples-to-apples comparison.

Yes, you can do an encode with CRF that is very close to 2 pass (but IMHO two pass is better). The issue with CRF is that you aren't encoding to a specified output size (bitrate) -- you are encoding to a constant quality level. So the size of your output is unpredictable. That's ok when you are planning to playback from a hard drive or an iPod, but it's not a good thing when you have to burn on a specific disc size like BD-5/9/25.

BD-RB will let you do a CRF one-pass encode, and will attempt to predict the size by doing some sample encodes to determine the best (closest) CRF value. But even that can sometimes be off significantly because your sample is never a perfect representation of the overall video. You can get more accurate by increasing your sample size -- but it very quickly becomes a lost cause because the sample encodes rapidly become just as time consuming as a first-pass.

Last edited by jdobbs; 26th April 2010 at 15:00.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 17:45   #7959  |  Link
iSeries

Hi,

Backup to BD-9 of 'The Box' (UK version) has just finished. This disc is unusual in that it has both DTS-MA and TrueHD tracks. I selected the TrueHD track and BD-RB correctly demuxed the 640kbps AC3 core. However I was quite surprised to find that at the end of encoding BD-RB then re-encoded the AC3 track. Is this normal? Why would it need to do this?
iSeries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 20:49   #7960  |  Link
SoniG

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSeries View Post
Hi,

Backup to BD-9 of 'The Box' (UK version) has just finished. This disc is unusual in that it has both DTS-MA and TrueHD tracks. I selected the TrueHD track and BD-RB correctly demuxed the 640kbps AC3 core. However I was quite surprised to find that at the end of encoding BD-RB then re-encoded the AC3 track. Is this normal? Why would it need to do this?
Do you have well checked 'Do not reencode AC3' and unchecked 'Use 448Kbps for AC3 encoding' on the Setup? What are the final specs of this AC3 track on your movie file?

Last edited by SoniG; 26th April 2010 at 20:53.
SoniG is offline   Reply With Quote