Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 2nd April 2016, 20:29   #37341  |  Link
austonrush

Madashi I've spent hours with the latest build and these are the conclusions I've reached to your questions.

a) Do you consider the "anti-bloating" filter useful for sharpening (LumaSharpen + AdaptiveSharpen)? If so, which strength settings do you like?

- I do find antibloat useful for Adaptive sharpen 0.7 + crispen edges 1.0. It helps remove the paintbrush effect. I've settled on a strength of 125 for upscaling 720p content

b) Do you consider the anti-bloating and anti-ringing options useful for SuperRes? I think anti-bloating might not be beneficial here, but I'd like to hear your opinion. Do you see any benefit in the anti-ringing option? SuperRes already didn't ring that much, so I wonder if the separate anti-ringing post processing option is worthwhile in your opinion or not?

- I've experimented with this on and off and if there is a benefit I'm having a hard time picking it out. I use super res 2 for 720p content anything higher is to aggressive

c) Do you consider the "anti-bloating" filter useful for SSIM downscaling? If so, which strength settings do you like?

- YES but only when SSIM is at a strength of 100%. Otherwise you lose to much detail. Currently using at a strength of 100%. Anything higher and it cancels out the benefit of SSIM, IMO

d) Which of the two anti-ringing options do you prefer for downscaling? (Edit: FYI, these options do *not* affect SSIM downscaling)

- Relaxed. I have a panasonic VT series plasma and some are reporting they can see no difference. I can see a noticeable difference and relaxed retains more detail. strict is to aggressive. Relaxed does a good job of limiting ringing while retaining detail.

austonrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2016, 22:13   #37342  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by austonrush View Post
Hey Madashi, I'm getting a blank screen maybe 10% of the time when switching to fullscreen exclusive mode.
I'm using the latest nvidia driver on windows 10 64bit, mpc-hc, lav and reclock
Try a clean install or roll back to a previous driver (always use clean) There have been some problems with the latest driver from Nvidia but whether your issues are related to that or just a messy install you'll have to find out but I haven't seen anyone with that issue.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 18:01   #37343  |  Link
XTrojan

Has anyone gotten 3D subtitles to work so far? I'm letting MakeMKV take Audio/Video/Subs first and then mux it into a .m2ts via tsmuxer as .mkv doesn't allow 3D planes, is this the correct way? Can't find any proper instructions on how do it :

Last edited by XTrojan; 3rd April 2016 at 18:09.
XTrojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 18:48   #37344  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTrojan View Post
Has anyone gotten 3D subtitles to work so far? I'm letting MakeMKV take Audio/Video/Subs first and then mux it into a .m2ts via tsmuxer as .mkv doesn't allow 3D planes, is this the correct way? Can't find any proper instructions on how do it :
If you want to preserve everything, then don't remux it at all. Muxing into m2ts will lose pretty much all special metadata. Its not inside the m2ts on the Blu-ray, but in the playlist metadata files.
Old 3rd April 2016, 19:59   #37345  |  Link
har3inger

Guys, try out Bilateral with SR2 for chroma. I'm really quite liking it for film content, but haven't tried it for cartoons yet.

The drawback with bilateral has always been that the algorithm sucks very badly whenever there isn't information in the luma channel to refine the chroma channel, resulting in what looks like dithered, noisy edges. However, superres is able to "fix" some of those bad edges at the cost of the crispness of the well-reconstructed edges. The result is something pretty close to nnedi or SXBR, but with less source ringing and much thinner edges. Anyways, here's some screenshots. This is chroma channel only, comparing bilateral SR2 to nnedi64. I have nnedi64 with and without SR2 in case people think the sharpness is from SR.

http://imgur.com/a/tfQOy
har3inger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 21:01   #37346  |  Link
70MM
X Cinema Projectionist NZ

Guys any response to this question please?

Should the both be used together or not?
Enable Window Mode - yes
Enable Exclusive Mode - yes
70MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 21:18   #37347  |  Link
BluesFanUK

Am I the only one who has trouble with SSIM 2D (and forget about Reconstruction, the biggest resource hog of the lot)? The usage spikes big time over SSIM 1D.

On another note - I made the mistake of opening a 4K 60fps vid I had in my downloads, probably the one off Youtube... constant dropped frames. MadVR isn't needed with those videos I know, but I am curious why when my 980ti was only at 80-90% usage it was dropping a number of frames each second. Surely that only happens when the GPU is hitting 100%?
BluesFanUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 22:26   #37348  |  Link
XTrojan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
If you want to preserve everything, then don't remux it at all. Muxing into m2ts will lose pretty much all special metadata. Its not inside the m2ts on the Blu-ray, but in the playlist metadata files.
Well .iso doesn't work, so a Blu-Ray folder structure by opening index.bdmv is the only way?
XTrojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 22:53   #37349  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70MM View Post
Guys any response to this question please?

Should the both be used together or not?
Enable Window Mode - yes
Enable Exclusive Mode - yes
that that works best for you.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 22:58   #37350  |  Link
70MM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
that that works best for you.
Sorry Im new to all this so still don't understand your answer. What should I be seeing to know which way works best for me please?

How do most set this up for playing movies?
Old 4th April 2016, 00:23   #37351  |  Link
huhn

i guess most are using window mode.

there is no simply answer. if you don't see any issues as it is now you can leave it as it is. if you get dropped frames or high present times try a different mode.

the number of presentation modes is pretty high if you count backbuffer and present in advance in.

on a dual display setup window mode as a chance to fail compared to FSE or overlay mode.

and the options names you are using here aren't the names in the madVR options. so i can only guess what the program you are using is changing in the madVR settings.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2016, 01:11   #37352  |  Link
70MM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
i guess most are using window mode.

there is no simply answer. if you don't see any issues as it is now you can leave it as it is. if you get dropped frames or high present times try a different mode.

the number of presentation modes is pretty high if you count backbuffer and present in advance in.

on a dual display setup window mode as a chance to fail compared to FSE or overlay mode.

and the options names you are using here aren't the names in the madVR options. so i can only guess what the program you are using is changing in the madVR settings.
Im using JRiver with madvr.... JRiver couldn't change the option names in madvr could it?
Old 4th April 2016, 01:45   #37353  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Im using JRiver with madvr.... JRiver couldn't change the option names in madvr could it?
Are you using madVR's option window or JRiver's?

If you are using MadVR's using the full option names is helpful to avoid confusion.

To answer your questions: use whichever of these options offer you no dropped frames and/or presentation glitches. All these options exist because there doesn't seem to be a set of them that works best on every system so it takes some experimentation to find what works best for you.

I run only 'enable windowed overlay', with 'enable automatic fullscreen exclusive mode' disabled. I also have "use Direct3D 11 for presentation" disabled (it overwrites 'enable windowed overlay' too).

This isn't best for everyone but it works very well for me. There is nothing wrong with using fullscreen exclusive mode too, so madVR uses exclusive instead of overlay when fullscreen, but I do not need fullscreen exclusive for stable playback.

Last edited by Asmodian; 4th April 2016 at 01:48.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2016, 03:18   #37354  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesFanUK View Post
I am curious why when my 980ti was only at 80-90% usage it was dropping a number of frames each second. Surely that only happens when the GPU is hitting 100%?
That is basically 100%. You can't max it out.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2016, 03:55   #37355  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
That is basically 100%. You can't max it out.
Indeed... My R270X can go as high as 91% before frames drop, but not all the time. 88-90% is the normal max usage.

QB
Old 4th April 2016, 05:03   #37356  |  Link
70MM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Are you using madVR's option window or JRiver's?

If you are using MadVR's using the full option names is helpful to avoid confusion.

To answer your questions: use whichever of these options offer you no dropped frames and/or presentation glitches. All these options exist because there doesn't seem to be a set of them that works best on every system so it takes some experimentation to find what works best for you.

I run only 'enable windowed overlay', with 'enable automatic fullscreen exclusive mode' disabled. I also have "use Direct3D 11 for presentation" disabled (it overwrites 'enable windowed overlay' too).

This isn't best for everyone but it works very well for me. There is nothing wrong with using fullscreen exclusive mode too, so madVR uses exclusive instead of overlay when fullscreen, but I do not need fullscreen exclusive for stable playback.
I am using madvrs option window.
Im going to try and turn some of these settings off like you and check for dropped frames. Maybe the more turned off without dropped frames is better...
Old 4th April 2016, 06:46   #37357  |  Link
70MM

Im using the GTX 970 card and have my dithering set to Erro Diffusion - option 2, is my card DX 11 compatible?
Am I using the right dither setting?

Error Diffusion - option 2
Use Direct-Compute to perform very high-quality error diffusion dithering. Low-noise, mid dither pattern. Requires a DX 11-compatible graphics card.
Old 4th April 2016, 07:15   #37358  |  Link
Betroz
Is this for real?

Quote:
Im using the GTX 970 card and have my dithering set to Error Diffusion - option 2, is my card DX 11 compatible?
Yes...your card is DX12 compatible too. I use the same setting.
Old 4th April 2016, 07:22   #37359  |  Link
khanmein

Quote:
Im using the GTX 970 card and have my dithering set to Erro Diffusion - option 2, is my card DX 11 compatible?
Am I using the right dither setting?

Error Diffusion - option 2
Use Direct-Compute to perform very high-quality error diffusion dithering. Low-noise, mid dither pattern. Requires a DX 11-compatible graphics card.
i'm also using option 2
khanmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2016, 07:26   #37360  |  Link
Betroz
Is this for real?

You guys were right. A 980Ti for MadVr in a HTPC case is too much, with temps going up to 83C...so I swapped it out for my 970 card (and that gets hot enough).

When I use Super-Xbr for image doubling/quad and there is a scene when peoples faces are up close, their faces are nice and sharp, but when in the background their faces get much more grainy. With NNEDI3 64 and up, faces in the background are more sharp than with super-xbr. So this is normal? Kind of bugs me out cause I want things to be perfect

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling