Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Linux, Mac OS X, & Co

Old 12th September 2011, 10:19   #1  |  Link
Kempniu

Importing interlaced AVC video into AviSynth running under Wine

Greetings,

I have been doing some research lately that I would like to confirm with others. I have been successfully using AviSynth with Wine to encode various sources (DVD, Blu-ray) with XviD and x264. A few days ago I got hold of a DVB-T tuner and it turns out that DVB-T transmissions in my country are encoded using AVC and broadcasted in 576i (TFF) and 1080i (MBAFF). I wasn't yet able to find any solution for importing interlaced AVC footage into AviSynth running under Wine. These are my findings so far:

- DGAVCDec has problems with interlaced AVC as it uses an ancient version of libavcodec. My captures processed by DGAVCIndex and then displayed in VirtualDub are full of macroblocks which make them unusable.

- FFmpegSource is able to index the *.TS files, but when I open the AviSynth source in VirtualDub, I either get a message saying "Insanity detected: decoder returned an empty frame" or a distorted first frame, followed by a crash during seeking.

- DGAVCDecNV requires a modern Nvidia GPU, which I don't have, plus it still wouldn't have worked as DGAVCDecNV relies on CUDA which doesn't work with Wine.

- DGAVCDecDi doesn't work with Wine (or at least I'm not able to run the registration application).

- DirectShowSource() doesn't work with Wine.

Is all the above correct? Is there any other solution I can use for proper handling of interlaced AVC in AviSynth running on Linux?
Kempniu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2011, 10:33   #2  |  Link
nm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempniu View Post
- FFmpegSource is able to index the *.TS files, but when I open the AviSynth source in VirtualDub, I either get a message saying "Insanity detected: decoder returned an empty frame" or a distorted first frame, followed by a crash during seeking.
FFmpegSource works with interlaced H.264, but its TS support is limited -- especially if Haali Media Splitter is not around. I'd suggest demuxing the stream and muxing the video to MP4 or MKV for FFMS input. Try tsMuxeR for demuxing.

Also try FFMS with parameter threads=1. That could help with the "decoder returned an empty frame" error.

Last edited by nm; 12th September 2011 at 12:35.
nm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avc, avisynth, interlaced, wine