Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 14th October 2022, 12:37   #201  |  Link
LeXXuz
21 years and counting...

Folder permissions seem fine. Maybe something wrong with the path variables if Avisynth uses any.

EDIT: Found it. The plugin folder was not set correctly within the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Avisynth. No idea why.

Last edited by LeXXuz; 14th October 2022 at 12:45.
LeXXuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2022, 16:06   #202  |  Link
LeXXuz
21 years and counting...

Probably a pretty silly question but how do I perform a simple exponential math function in Avisynth? Something like x=2^n for example.
Old 6th December 2022, 16:14   #203  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeXXuz View Post
Probably a pretty silly question but how do I perform a simple exponential math function in Avisynth? Something like x=2^n for example.

One way is expr
http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Expr

e.g. In a YUV clip change all values in Y channel to power of 2 , copy Cb, Cr
expr("x 2 ^", "x", "x")
poisondeathray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2022, 16:14   #204  |  Link
kedautinh12

x = pow(2,n) (maybe)
kedautinh12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2022, 00:36   #205  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

Quote:
EDIT: Found it. The plugin folder was not set correctly within the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Avisynth. No idea why.
A remote guess because sometimes my portable AviSynth installs (Groucho Style) got overridden the same way
(just happened recently with RipBot 1.26.3):
Do you have other GUIs like RipBot or StaxRip installed?
I found that RipBot auto-updating forces its own AviSnth preferences.
IIRC StaxRip did that too on me once, but I am not so sure anymore...
Old 7th December 2022, 01:15   #206  |  Link
wonkey_monkey
Formerly davidh*****

I feel like I'm missing something obvious, but how do I convert from RGB32 to YUVA444? There is ConverttoYUV444 but there is no ConverttoYUVA444.

Edit: seems you have to ConverttoPlanarRGBA first, then ConverttoYUV444 will retain Alpha. Seems a bit of an oversight to me. Or maybe it's backwards compatability.

Last edited by wonkey_monkey; 7th December 2022 at 01:23.
wonkey_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2022, 03:49   #207  |  Link
qyot27
...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkey_monkey View Post
I feel like I'm missing something obvious, but how do I convert from RGB32 to YUVA444? There is ConverttoYUV444 but there is no ConverttoYUVA444.

Edit: seems you have to ConverttoPlanarRGBA first, then ConverttoYUV444 will retain Alpha. Seems a bit of an oversight to me. Or maybe it's backwards compatability.
https://avisynthplus.readthedocs.io/...#addalphaplane

ConvertToYUV444()
AddAlphaPlane()
qyot27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2022, 12:00   #208  |  Link
wonkey_monkey
Formerly davidh*****

The plan was to keep the alpha channel that already existed in the RGB32 clip.
Old 8th December 2022, 00:08   #209  |  Link
qyot27
...?

Ah, I was probably half-asleep when I read that initially, but it certainly is a little inconsistent. Anyway, issue created on Github so it won't get buried.
qyot27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2022, 01:14   #210  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Thanx Qyot27,
Whata wonderfull fella.

( Chill a bit, sir ) that wonkey fella is a bit messed up, try not to take notice. (Sorry Wonkey )

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 8th December 2022 at 01:25.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2022, 10:56   #211  |  Link
pinterf

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkey_monkey View Post

I guess I made the following considerations:
- ConvertToYUV444 is the generalization of ConvertToYV24
- Applying ConvertToYUV444 on old formats such as RGB32 must preserve the original behaviour and result in YV24 (YUV444P8) and not YUVA444P8
pinterf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2022, 15:25   #212  |  Link
GAP

Can anyone give a step by step guide to resizing in AVISynth? I will admit that I am still new to this and I am asking becuase I was recommened to deep resize on another thread.
GAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2022, 19:39   #213  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

What do you wanna know? Which kernel is good and which ones should be avoided? The resampling page in the Avisynth wiki does a pretty good job.
As a rule of thumb, however, you can use SinPowResizeMT() to downscale and either Spline64Resize or NNEDI3 to upscale.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2022, 21:59   #214  |  Link
GAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranceBB View Post
What do you wanna know? Which kernel is good and which ones should be avoided? The resampling page in the Avisynth wiki does a pretty good job.
As a rule of thumb, however, you can use SinPowResizeMT() to downscale and either Spline64Resize or NNEDI3 to upscale.
I want to know how I can upscale my footage for pixel game captures. Here is what I posted on my thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAP View Post
Can anyone talk a look at this script? I am to make this setup into a FFMPEG script and even an AVISynth/AVS script. Here is what I am trying to do:
  1. Using Virtualdub I was going to do two resizes using Nearest Neighbor and later Lanzcos3. The Nearest Neighbor resize filter was going to upscale the video while the other filter was for aspect ratio correction via "Compute Height from Ratio" on Lanzcos3. I know you do not have to do this in FFMPEG or AVISynth but you could in Virtualdub2.
  2. I was to resize it to four times bigger than usual since that is considered HD and I do not want it to be bigger than what it can allowed to be.
  3. I was put in a .mp4 video container with .aac as the audio container. Someone recommended me libopus as a possible audio codec but I want to play it safe with .aac.
  4. As for codecs and compression, I mostly use x264 8 bit with a Slower compression with the constant rate factor being either 16 or lossless.
  5. I wanted colorspace from RGB to YUV. I mostly work with pixels from old video games.

I was wondering how can I do so with this FFMPEG script? Do these options that I have about match what I want do? And if possible, how can export it to AVISynth or AVS.
I also wanted to add in a fade in or fade out as I want to prevent the clip from going past a certain time.
GAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2022, 20:49   #215  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
I want to know how I can upscale my footage for pixel game captures.
Fine.

Quote:
Using Virtualdub I was going to do two resizes using Nearest Neighbor and later Lanzcos3.
No one should be masochist enough to be using PointResize() on his own free will for things that will be used for real.

There are several resizing kernels nowadays, but the most known are:​

- PointResize() -> Nearest Neighbour​

- BilinearResize() -> Bilinear filtering​

- BicubicResize() -> Mitchell-Netravali two-part cubic filtering​

- LanczosResize() -> Two lobes Lanczos windowed sinc function (4 lobes, 2 on each side)​

- BlackmanResize() -> A modified version of Lanczos with better ringing control (higher taps)​

- GaussResize() -> Gaussian filter; unlike bicubic, it does not overshoot, but it's less sharp​

- SincResize() -> Truncated Sinc Function; very sharp but pronte to ringing artifacts​

- Spline16Resize() -> Cubic Spline Based resizer that fit a spline through √16 sample points​

- Spline36Resize() -> Cubic Spline Based resizer that fit a spline through √36 sample points​

- Spline64Resize() -> Cubic Spline Based resizer that fit a spline through √64 sample points​

We're gonna talk about NNEDI3 (Neural Network Edge Directed Interpolation 3) later.

The most basic Algorithm -> PointResize()​

PointResize is a nearest neighbour algorithm which performs interpolation between points.​

Interpolation is the problem of approximating the value of a function for a non-given point in some space when given the value of that function in points around (neighboring) that point. The nearest neighbor algorithm selects the value of the nearest point and does not consider the values of neighboring points at all, yielding a piecewise-constant interpolant.​

Suppose we have a grid with pictures that have 8bit values like so:​

Let's move to Bilinear:​

Bilinear interpolation is performed using linear interpolation first in one direction, and then again in the other direction. Although each step is linear in the sampled values and in the position, the interpolation as a whole is not "linear" but rather "quadratic" in the sample location.​

Let's move to Spline based resizing:​

Spline16Resize, Spline36Resize and Spline64Resize are three Spline based resizers. They are the cubic spline based resizers from Panorama tools that fit a spline through the sample points and then derives the filter kernel from the resulting blending polynomials. The rationale for Spline is to be as sharp as possible with less ringing artifacts than LanczosResize produces. Spline16Resize uses √16 or 4 sample points, Spline36Resize uses √36 or 6 sample points. The more sample points used, the more accurate the resampling.​

Very loosely and poorly made graphs but that should give you an idea:

Now a few comparisons:

What you should learn from this is:

1) DO NOT use PointResize()
2) It's 2022, use NNEDI3 to upscale or at the very least Spline64Resize()
3) If you want to add black borders to keep aspect ratio, use AddBorders() manually or use ResizeKAR() or FrostyBorders() with frosty = false to do it for you automagically.

Cheers,
Frank

Last edited by FranceBB; 19th May 2023 at 18:34.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2022, 16:50   #216  |  Link
LeXXuz
21 years and counting...

Very nice and comprehensive explanation.
I'd like to say thank you for taking the time to put this up.
Old 24th December 2022, 23:44   #217  |  Link
DTL

Pixel-based (may be better pixel-art based) old game may be designed to be rendered as really square pixels. Also it may not contain any real number measured shifts or scaling or other transforms - only integer shifts. So only PointResize with integer ratio (2x,3x,...)is applicable to fit higher resolution screens. Different digital imaging methods of encode images require different visualization and different scaling.
DTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2023, 18:47   #218  |  Link
LeXXuz
21 years and counting...

Simple question regarding Avisynth syntax.

In many scripts I see a decimal point behind numbers in operations. For example: x=(y/2.)

Is this to make the output (x) a float instead of an (depending on y maybe rounded) integer? Or what purpose does this decimal point have?
Old 10th January 2023, 18:55   #219  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeXXuz View Post
Simple question regarding Avisynth syntax.

In many scripts I see a decimal point behind numbers in operations. For example: x=(y/2.)

Is this to make the output (x) a float instead of an (depending on y maybe rounded) integer? Or what purpose does this decimal point have?
Yes, that's it. Avisynth won't do the conversion if the variables are integers even if the result was a float. For example with BicubicResize, you need b=1/3., c=1/3. (or 1./3) to get the desired values there.
Old 10th January 2023, 20:06   #220  |  Link
LeXXuz
21 years and counting...

Thanks for confirming.

Tags
avisynth, faq