Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 16th December 2016, 16:40   #25341  |  Link
sieve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
Can you provide me with a short clip of the output?
Sure. Which specific file should I send, and what can I use to extract a short section?
sieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2016, 17:58   #25342  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieve View Post
Sure. Which specific file should I send, and what can I use to extract a short section?
You can use the split/cut function of TSMUXER. But, before we go to that trouble, let me find a short PAL source and do some testing.
Old 16th December 2016, 18:12   #25343  |  Link
sieve

Quote:
You can use the split/cut function of TSMUXER. But, before we go to that trouble, let me find a short PAL source and do some testing.
I split off some video, but even 1 second is too large to attach.
Old 16th December 2016, 18:17   #25344  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
I split off some video, but even 1 second is too large to attach.
Send it via e-mail to dvd-rb@jdobbs.net
Old 16th December 2016, 18:47   #25345  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
I think the problem is in the conversion to FILM. As was mentioned by Sharc, it may be that the video is staying 720x576 and only the framerate was changing. I normally import HD -- and in that instance changing only the framerate would work. In fact, it may even be possible that nothing is being changed at all during import (because it is an SD and DVD source).

Testing in progress.

Last edited by jdobbs; 16th December 2016 at 18:53.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2016, 18:54   #25346  |  Link
jdobbs

Yep. I'd forgotten. The IMPORT_PAL_TO_FILM parameter only applies to video file imports (not DVD), note what I've highlighted:

Code:
IMPORT_PAL_TO_FILM=n	n = 0/1 - Default=0, if set to 1, imported 25fps video file sources are converted to 23.976
I'll have to create another setting for this.

In the meantime, what you can do is import the DVD, then output it to MKV files using the "MKV, Intact Video, Intact Audio" setting. You can then select all the MKV files and import them. Assuming IMPORT_PAL_TO_FILM is set, they will be converted to 720x480@23.976 when the pseudo-BD source is reencoded.

Last edited by jdobbs; 16th December 2016 at 19:03.
Old 16th December 2016, 19:20   #25347  |  Link
sieve

Quote:
In the meantime, what you can do is import the DVD, then output it to MKV files using the "MKV, Intact Video, Intact Audio" setting. You can then select all the MKV files and import them. Assuming IMPORT_PAL_TO_FILM is set, they will be converted to 720x480@23.976 when the pseudo-BD source is reencoded.
I read that in the thread somewhere and did try that the second time (see below). But it didn't work. It didn't change the resolution or frame rate.

Quote:
The first time I tried, I imported DVD(s) quick reauthored. The one thing I notices in the stream window as that each video chapter (episode) was MPEG-2, 576i, 25fps. I assumed that the 25fps would be a problem. I thought that IMPORT_PAL_TO_FILM=1 was supposed to convert that to 23.975fps in the import process, but apparently it didn't. I then ran a full backup to a BD-25 .iso. The burned BD w.ould not display video when played in a BD player. Video remained at 576i 25 fps.

The second time I tried, I imported DVD(s) quick reauthored. Same 576i 25fps in the stream window. I then did alternate movie-only output to MKV, Intact Video, Intact Audio. I then imported these video files. Same 576i 25 fps. I then ran full backup to a BD-25 .iso. Same problem as above.
Old 16th December 2016, 20:07   #25348  |  Link
Sharc

Well, apart from squashing a possible bug, my question would still be why people want to convert 576i/25fps to 480p/23.976fps? Blu-ray is a global standard, there is no need to convert from "PAL" to "NTSC" .....
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2016, 20:13   #25349  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
I read that in the thread somewhere and did try that the second time (see below). But it didn't work. It didn't change the resolution or frame rate.
When is it failing? Do you have a menu? Is it failing when you try the menu or when you select a title? I just did the procedure I mentioned with no menu and it worked fine. I'll try one with a menu next. I have my doubts, though, since the menu is always 1920x1080...

Last edited by jdobbs; 16th December 2016 at 20:16.
Old 16th December 2016, 20:16   #25350  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
Well, apart from squashing a possible bug, my question would still be why people want to convert 576i/25fps to 480p/23.976fps? Blu-ray is a global standard, there is no need to convert from "PAL" to "NTSC" .....
Quote:
Not all BD-ROM Players support 50Hz video formats.
http://www.blu-raydisc.com/assets/Do...ions-18780.pdf (3.3.1 + 3.3.2)

Last edited by sneaker_ger; 16th December 2016 at 20:20.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2016, 20:26   #25351  |  Link
sieve

Quote:
When is it failing? Do you have a menu? Is it failing when you try the menu or when you select a title? I just did the procedure I mentioned with no menu and it worked fine. I'll try one with a menu next. I have my doubts, though, since the menu is always 1920x1080...
There is a menu that lists the 12 episodes. That displays fine. When I select an episode to play, it does play, but does not display video. Only audio and subtitles work. The TV does flash a message that the resolution changed. Oddly, it says "576p" even though the actual source is 576i.
Old 16th December 2016, 20:28   #25352  |  Link
sieve

Quote:
Send it via e-mail
I sent you a 3 second clip
Old 16th December 2016, 20:42   #25353  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Quote:
I sent you a 3 second clip
I just tried one with a menu, and it worked fine as well. The video is 480p/23.976.
Old 16th December 2016, 21:07   #25354  |  Link
sieve

Quote:
I just tried one with a menu, and it worked fine as well. The video is 480p/23.976.
Then that's what I need to achieve.... The clip I sent you is 575i 25, which is the same as the original source. The methods and settings I've been using don't seem to convert it.
Old 16th December 2016, 23:46   #25355  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
I guess I'll poor over the two different ini's to see what it was...
I think you mean pour.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2016, 00:08   #25356  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
Blu-ray is a global standard, there is no need to convert from "PAL" to "NTSC" .....
Especially since in the digital world there is no such thing as NTSC, or PAL (both are analog specifications). I gather that is why you quoted the terms.

Just transfer the video files from the DVD to a Blu-ray. BD-RB can be used to create Blu-rays with menus, without recoding. Recoding MPEG-2 video from DVDs to H.264 is not recommended. The DVD MPEG-2 bitrate is too low. Recoding will add encoding errors.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2016, 00:37   #25357  |  Link
Ch3vr0n

No such thing as PAL or NTSC huh? You try telling that to the DVD alliance. Try playing a PAL DVD on a NTSC player. You'll have either A) no video, B) no audio, C) glitchy B&W video, D) all of the previous. There's no such thing as pal or ntsc FOR BLU-RAY only. On DVD's it's very much existing.
Ch3vr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2016, 00:45   #25358  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
Especially since in the digital world there is no such thing as NTSC, or PAL (both are analog specifications). I gather that is why you quoted the terms.

Just transfer the video files from the DVD to a Blu-ray. BD-RB can be used to create Blu-rays with menus, without recoding. Recoding MPEG-2 video from DVDs to H.264 is not recommended. The DVD MPEG-2 bitrate is too low. Recoding will add encoding errors.
I wish people would stop saying that. They both still exist. Things still fail when attempting to use the wrong standard in the other parts of the world. Constantly telling people they can ignore it is incorrect and not helpful.

By the way, I just did a search and the term NTSC is referenced more than 40 times in the Blu-Ray standard.

Last edited by jdobbs; 17th December 2016 at 00:51.
Old 17th December 2016, 00:47   #25359  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
I think you mean pour.
DOHHHHHHHHH!
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2016, 00:49   #25360  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch3vr0n View Post
No such thing as PAL or NTSC huh? You try telling that to the DVD alliance. Try playing a PAL DVD on a NTSC player. You'll have either A) no video, B) no audio, C) glitchy B&W video, D) all of the previous. There's no such thing as pal or ntsc FOR BLU-RAY only. On DVD's it's very much existing.
Oh great... you woke up Ch3vr0n...

Thanks a LOT Mr. Video!
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote