Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 15th October 2015, 23:09   #33601  |  Link
SecurityBunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Ok. In some situations the default location might be ok. But often it is not. E.g. look here, playing a DVD (using an LAV test build with the new LAV DVD subtitle export to madVR) with MPC-HC with the "notify media player" zoom control option activated:

default position - | - move up = down

Or here with the "notify media player" zoom control option deactivated:

default position - | - move up - | - move down

Isn't any of the move options always better (in this example at least)? I think having one subtitle line in the active video area and one subtitle line in the black bar is rather bad, and it happens quite often with the standard location.
Ah, I can definitely see the advantage of the feature in that example. Fortunately for the content I watch, I don't require subtitles to be moved and in fact find it a bit displacing when it is due to moving my peripheral vision to keep up with the video and read subtitles at the same time.

Fullscreen Normal - Fullscreen Bottom
Half-screen Normal - Half-screen Bottom

Since I don't really watch any content where subtitles aren't already inside the video frame, I don't personally require the need to move subtitles into the active video area. I'd rather save the process calculation time if it is all the same.

Last edited by SecurityBunny; 15th October 2015 at 23:35.
SecurityBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2015, 23:17   #33602  |  Link
har3inger

Just a quick question: when SuperRes under image enhancements gets updates, is superchromares also getting updated? If not, is the superres filter for chroma at all recommended, given how it's based off the old iteration of SuperRes that got scrapped?
har3inger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2015, 23:35   #33603  |  Link
XMonarchY

SO SuperRes Linear Light option is there to prevent brightness increase? Is that something I'd want for better quality pictures or for better accuracy? I use NNEDI3 + SuperRes Chroma Upscaling + SuperRes Image Refinement.
Old 16th October 2015, 00:16   #33604  |  Link
zvans18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper93 View Post
R9 390, Windows 10
same here, win 8.1 and GTX 970

happens with BE and HC (but unless it's my imagination it seems slightly better in HC)

EDIT: retested after reboot and it isn't happening with either player. i'll see if it happens again in the future, but it was happening for at least a few releases

Last edited by zvans18; 16th October 2015 at 01:16.
zvans18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2015, 02:05   #33605  |  Link
nijiko
Hi-Fi Fans

What's wrong with 89.11? When playing video, computer is fully dead, hang up.
nijiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2015, 02:14   #33606  |  Link
nijiko
Hi-Fi Fans

The fucking death make me lost all my work on the desktop!!! I never know a video filter can make computer die!!!
Old 16th October 2015, 02:28   #33607  |  Link
nijiko
Hi-Fi Fans

I can't find 89.10, and 89.9 is normal. What change between 89.9 and 89.11?
Old 16th October 2015, 02:52   #33608  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijiko View Post
Both are on the previous page.

Quote:
madVR v0.89.10 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* added SuperRes "sharpness" and "use linear light" options
* optimized SuperRes performance with high "strength" values
* modified subtitle mover to not change subtitle size, anymore
* added "zoom control" option to move subtitles
* added support for LAV DVD subtitle renderer
* fixed: XySubFilter: high-res PGS with smaller-res video: wrong sub position
* fixed: crash when LAV DVD subtitle renderer asked for a flush/clear
* fixed: Smooth Motion + NNEDI3 + Bilinear could cause aliasing artifacts
* fixed: #318: debanding sometimes caused black screen (once more)
XySubFilter users, please test madVR v0.89.10 with the new XySubFilter 745 build:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168282

Quote:
madVR v0.89.11 released

Code:
* fixed stupid video size bug introduced in v0.89.10
Old 16th October 2015, 03:09   #33609  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Quote:
Quote:
The fucking death make me lost all my work on the desktop!!! I never know a video filter can make computer die!!!
Welcome to video driver bugs? It's not MadVR's fault, but it does use more of the driver than anything but games. Since you can lose everything at practically anytime anyway, if the power dies or anything else locks it up, you should always be autosaving. Computers suck.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2015, 05:26   #33610  |  Link
THEAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper93 View Post
madVR flashes frame from the future (probably last in the queue) on frame step. Not on every one, but very often. It looks like that Frame1->Flashes Frame (something from the queue)->Frame2 it is easily reproducible with MPC-HC and CTRL+left arrow to frame step. Seems to happen only with DX11. Here is log http://1drv.ms/1MswFTV
I think you're experiencing what I reported two times before in this thread but nobody else confirmed it:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...13#post1714313
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...27#post1728827

I can confirm this only happens with Smooth Motion enabled and is easily reproducible with WMV and AVI files. Detailed info has been provided in my previous reports.
THEAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2015, 05:49   #33611  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis View Post
Welcome to video driver bugs? It's not MadVR's fault, but it does use more of the driver than anything but games. Since you can lose everything at practically anytime anyway, if the power dies or anything else locks it up, you should always be autosaving. Computers suck.
Yesterday mpc-hc leaked lots of memory here. I did not yet (will do later) take a closer look but it was after I upgraded madvr. Did you maybe run out of RAM?
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2015, 06:53   #33612  |  Link
dimitrik

i just want to confirm one thing about the doubling/quadrupling functions: my understanding is that they work in sequence, not independently.

I.e. the doubling algorithm is applied first, and then if there is scope for quadrupling (depending on the scaling factor and settings) the quad algorithm is applied.

Or is the quad algorithm applied directly, if the scaling factor is such, skipping the doubling algo?

I think it's the first, but am not 100% sure.

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 3700x, 16GB DDR4, 1TB NVME SSD, Asus x570 Tuf Gaming, Nvidia RTX 2060.
dimitrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2015, 08:08   #33613  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm3nian View Post
.ASS looks good. PGS from a bluray is blurry. It's not even the same font as the .ASS. But the filters say xy->madVR.
PGS are bitmap subtitles. madVR does not know which text is in such subtitles. It's all just pixels. So all madVR can do is draw them onto the original video image (before upscaling) and then upscale the subtitle bitmaps together with the video. Which will of course be much blurrier than rendering text (SRT, ASS) subtitles in the final resolution of the upscaled video. If you want sharp subtitles, you'll have to use some subtitle tool to convert PGS to SRT or ASS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm3nian View Post
At first the move subtitles wasn't working for me. Then it started to work. But it messes up when scrubbing through the video. With my .ASS sample it starts at the bottom if I have it selected, but if I scrub a bit then it goes higher up.
You probably have not updated XySubFilter to build 745 yet, have you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecurityBunny View Post
Ah, I can definitely see the advantage of the feature in that example. Fortunately for the content I watch, I don't require subtitles to be moved and in fact find it a bit displacing when it is due to moving my peripheral vision to keep up with the video and read subtitles at the same time.

Fullscreen Normal - Fullscreen Bottom
Half-screen Normal - Half-screen Bottom

Since I don't really watch any content where subtitles aren't already inside the video frame, I don't personally require the need to move subtitles into the active video area. I'd rather save the process calculation time if it is all the same.
Ok, I understand. Was just wondering...

Quote:
Originally Posted by har3inger View Post
Just a quick question: when SuperRes under image enhancements gets updates, is superchromares also getting updated? If not, is the superres filter for chroma at all recommended, given how it's based off the old iteration of SuperRes that got scrapped?
No, SuperChromaRes has not been updated for quite a while. Although it's based on the same principle, it's a different algorithm, and it's still on my to do list to look into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMonarchY View Post
SO SuperRes Linear Light option is there to prevent brightness increase? Is that something I'd want for better quality pictures or for better accuracy? I use NNEDI3 + SuperRes Chroma Upscaling + SuperRes Image Refinement.
In theory you should uncheck "Linear Light" if the video you're playing has been downscaled by the studio by using gamma light (which is what most studios do, I suppose). And you should activate "Linear Light" if the video you're playing has been downscaled by the studio by using linear light - or if you're playing a video that hasn't been downscaled by the studio at all. Since it's very hard to know what the studio did, I can't really tell you which way to set that option. I prefer it unchecked, others prefer it checked. Unchecked thins black lines a bit, but may introduce a little bit of aliasing. So simply try and use what looks better to your eyes.

Quote:
I doubt it has much to do with 89.11. Probably the same would have happened with 89.9. This is probably a GPU driver or even OS problem, or a hardware problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
Yesterday mpc-hc leaked lots of memory here. I did not yet (will do later) take a closer look but it was after I upgraded madvr. Did you maybe run out of RAM?
Oh, that would be ugly. Can you double check whether you can reproduce that problem, and whether it's a new problem introduced by madVR or by the latest MPC-HC build or by the GPU driver, maybe? There was an AMD beta driver recently which leaked lots of (GPU?) RAM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitrik View Post
i just want to confirm one thing about the doubling/quadrupling functions: my understanding is that they work in sequence, not independently.
Correct.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2015, 10:17   #33614  |  Link
dimitrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
I'd try NNEDI3 64 for doubling + super-xbr 75 quadrupling.
Thanks, I'll give that a try. Could be a good mix between the softness of nnedi and the sharpness of super-xbr.

By the way, I have been thinking that because everyone is so keen on getting sharp pictures, we've got to a point where we accept too many artifacts, ringing and other distortions.

In in many cases, a softer image may in fact be a better option; we have to accept that compromises exist when upscaling and it's up to us, to set the balance between different aspects of the PQ.

It would be nice if we had a high quality deblocking filter that doesn't overly soften the image, but gets rid of some of these artifacts. I think as resolutions get higher (4K) this will be more useful, especially for lower quality SD sources.

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 3700x, 16GB DDR4, 1TB NVME SSD, Asus x570 Tuf Gaming, Nvidia RTX 2060.
dimitrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2015, 10:49   #33615  |  Link
chros

Quote:
That's all technically possible, but I have rather limited development resources. I'll think about it, but the end result in the short term will probably be a *very* simple (and maybe somewhat ugly) solution. If you have a good idea for something like that, which I could implement in just a couple of minutes, let me know.
I can't help you with that (I'm not a C++ dev ), but you can ask the MPC-HC/BE dev teams, I think they are smart enough for that

Quote:
Originally Posted by har3inger View Post
I'm against it at its current state, I made couple of screenshots around 1-2 week(s) ago, where you could easily see the unwanted modifications on the picture by it.

Last edited by chros; 16th October 2015 at 10:52.
chros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2015, 10:50   #33616  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
In theory you should uncheck "Linear Light" if the video you're playing has been downscaled by the studio by using gamma light (which is what most studios do, I suppose). And you should activate "Linear Light" if the video you're playing has been downscaled by the studio by using linear light - or if you're playing a video that hasn't been downscaled by the studio at all. Since it's very hard to know what the studio did, I can't really tell you which way to set that option. I prefer it unchecked, others prefer it checked. Unchecked thins black lines a bit, but may introduce a little bit of aliasing. So simply try and use what looks better to your eyes.
Gamma correct also increases the brightness in the case of SuperRes in a noticeable way (independent from the source?), at least if you choose a sharpness option > 2.
I upscaled the brightness sensitive image you posted here to 1440p via Jinc AR:
http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...0&postcount=38

No SR:

Strength 2, sharpness 3, no LL:

LL:

I also noticed the brightness increase without LL in other videos from the web.
So, if one wants to use SR as a sharpener , I think it's a good idea to use linear light.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2015, 11:19   #33617  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
madVR v0.89.10 released

[code]* added SuperRes "sharpness" and "use linear light" options
* optimized SuperRes performance with high "strength" values
Hi madshi, you're on a winning streak!

I wanted to ask you, concerning the above, is it expected to get seriously improved performance when, in "upscaling refinement" moving from SuperRes 3 to SuperRes 4? Is this what you are referring to when talking about "high strength"?

Previously SR wasn't impacting too much until 3, but 4 had a serious jump in computational power used. At least for me...
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2015, 13:12   #33618  |  Link
kasper93
MPC-HC Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEAST View Post
I think you're experiencing what I reported two times before in this thread but nobody else confirmed it:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...13#post1714313
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...27#post1728827

I can confirm this only happens with Smooth Motion enabled and is easily reproducible with WMV and AVI files. Detailed info has been provided in my previous reports.
Nope. SM is not related. I can reproduce without it.
kasper93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2015, 14:59   #33619  |  Link
nijiko
Hi-Fi Fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis View Post
Because this old computer is for downloading, so the OS is still XP since 2006 without installing new OS, and driver is out at 2014.4 and not updated by ATI.

My computer is running well all the way before 89.11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
Maybe? When I run MPC-HC, computer immediately being slowly to be idle in only 3 seconds. Each time. So, I can't do anything to check.

Quote:
I doubt it has much to do with 89.11. Probably the same would have happened with 89.9. This is probably a GPU driver or even OS problem, or a hardware problem.
My computer is running MPC-HC 181 + LAV 66.0.26 + madVR 89.11/89.9, OS is XP SP3 with all patch, videocard is AMD ATI HD4850 with 14.4.

I'am the only one happenning this problem?

Last edited by nijiko; 16th October 2015 at 15:02.
Old 16th October 2015, 15:48   #33620  |  Link
clsid

Did your computer freeze or did it reboot (BSoD)? Any details in the Windows Event Log?

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling