Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14th July 2016, 14:03   #11  |  Link
BadFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quikee View Post
I didn't look into royalties as I assumed JPEG (the committee) learned its lessons regarding patents.
One would think so with the history of jpeg and unused potential due to patents, however that is not the case.

From what I've read, not even XR baseline profile is guaranteed to be free from royalties (!), it's clear to me that the jpeg committee has lost any relevance, attempting to introduce a patent-burdened image codec today when even video is going towards royalty free is just insane.

Quote:
Sure, that would be a bonus but I don't think this is required for success of a image codec. I think hardware manufacturers would fill this gap regardless if they are on-board from the start or not.
Depending on your definition of success, I think I disagree, as my definition would be replacing jpeg as the de facto (lossy) image format. Given how mobile is increasingly becoming the way people consume web content, I think the chance of gaining the necessary traction without hardware decoding is very unlikely.

Quote:
Yes, a new image codec from AOM would probably be successful but it doesn't need to be based on AV1. It could be based on Daala.
Sure, Mozilla/Daala are part of the AOM so it's certainly not impossible, my doubt again comes back to hardware support, AV1 will be hardware supported, which most likely means it should be easier to implement a hardware accelerated image codec based upon it.

Quote:
A image codec is not priority now for AOM but I think they will looking into it when AV1 is launched.
Here's hoping.

Of course, AV1 itself also needs to survive what I expect to be a massive patent aggression from the MPEG LA group, they won't give up their patent cash cow business model of : 'pick a bunch of patents from the pool, implement a slight improvement on the current video codec standard, charge royalties, rinse and repeat' : without a fight.

That said, with the companies behind AOM, I think we have the best chance ever of seeing royalty laden video codecs be history.
BadFrame is offline   Reply With Quote