Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 7th March 2018, 05:18   #49441  |  Link
raymondjpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Intel's video (damage) algorithms kicking in, madVR probably successfully bypasses them when using D3D9 but not when using D3D11. Some "Standard Color Correction" or "Color Enhancement" could explain your observations.
That sounds possible, but I usually disable all "Color Enhancements" in the HD Graphics settings, with the exception of slight tweaking of skin tone, and hue. Anyway, the graphics look better to me in the Kaby Lake NUC when using D3D11. It remains to be seen if they will look better in the Haswell and Skylake NUCs.
raymondjpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2018, 13:45   #49442  |  Link
stefanelli73

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanelli73 View Post
I wanted to know if any of you could help me about the subtitles of blu ray scaled to 3840x2160, in practice when the fixed subtitles come out the image slows down by going for a few seconds, increasing the rendering and after the subtitles disappear it is replaced, this it happens even if I use JINC as IMAGE UPSCALING.
My video card is AMD RX480, media player JRIVER, os WINDOWS 10.
Nobody?
stefanelli73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2018, 16:28   #49443  |  Link
Siso

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondjpg View Post
That sounds possible, but I usually disable all "Color Enhancements" in the HD Graphics settings, with the exception of slight tweaking of skin tone, and hue. Anyway, the graphics look better to me in the Kaby Lake NUC when using D3D11. It remains to be seen if they will look better in the Haswell and Skylake NUCs.
Better buy a calibration device, instead of tinkering with some odd settings
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2018, 18:44   #49444  |  Link
clsid

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanelli73 View Post
Nobody?
It might be a bandwidth issue. For such high resolutions, a lot of data needs to be copied to/from the GPU memory.

Try D3D11 hardware acceleration in LAV Video decoder.
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2018, 18:52   #49445  |  Link
sorinmisu

No chroma upscaling after win10 reinstall

Hello,
I have been using madvr for some time but recently I had to reinstall windows. Now all the settings work fine except for chroma upscaling, it doesn't produce any image changes. Any idea on what it may cause this?
sorinmisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2018, 20:48   #49446  |  Link
el Filou

You can't have chroma upscaling not work, it's (in 99% of cases) a necessary step to display compressed video. Probably the differences between algorithms are so subtle that you don't spot them.
Old 7th March 2018, 20:58   #49447  |  Link
clsid

Press Ctrl+J to see which algorithm is used. Madvr will by default ignore your choice and use DXVA chroma upscaling if you use DXVA native decoding or if the video is interlaced.
Old 7th March 2018, 20:59   #49448  |  Link
sorinmisu

Then what could affect chroma upscaling such that before reinstall I could see a clear difference between algorithms and now not being able to see any difference?
Old 7th March 2018, 21:05   #49449  |  Link
sorinmisu

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
Press Ctrl+J to see which algorithm is used. Madvr will by default ignore your choice and use DXVA chroma upscaling if you use DXVA native decoding or if the video is interlaced.
In LAV Video decoder I use Hardware decoder "Nvidia CUVID" and for chroma > NGU Anti-Alias (high)
Old 7th March 2018, 21:32   #49450  |  Link
Asmodian

Don't use CUVID, use D3D11 or DXVA2 copy-back.

Use ctrl-J to see the OSD. There you can see what chroma upscaling method is being used.

edit: also disable the rendering "trade quality for performance" options "use DXVA chroma upscaling when doing native DXVA decoding" and "use DXVA chroma upscaling when doing DXVA deinnterlacing".

Last edited by Asmodian; 7th March 2018 at 21:36.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2018, 21:59   #49451  |  Link
sorinmisu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Don't use CUVID, use D3D11 or DXVA2 copy-back.

Use ctrl-J to see the OSD. There you can see what chroma upscaling method is being used.

edit: also disable the rendering "trade quality for performance" options "use DXVA chroma upscaling when doing native DXVA decoding" and "use DXVA chroma upscaling when doing DXVA deinnterlacing".
With D3D11 used all madvr settings are ignored including image upscaling and that works fine with CUVID and DXVA2 copy-back. I already have all "trade quality for performance" options disabled.

OSD screenshot:
https://preview.ibb.co/jb4cf7/Untitled.png
Old 7th March 2018, 22:19   #49452  |  Link
ryrynz

Sorin, chroma options don't tend to change the appearance a lot when it is noticeable however it's mostly on red images, I notice your settings are too high in that screenshot, set to NGU AA med or low to get your rendering time down so you're not dropping frames. Some of the 'trade quality for performance' options can actually be quite useful here with little image quality affect.

Last edited by ryrynz; 7th March 2018 at 22:26.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2018, 22:42   #49453  |  Link
seiyafan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Reset to defaults. Back up your settings, If found to be the problem madshi may wish to look at it.
Thanks, it's back to normal after I reset to default settings.
seiyafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2018, 22:44   #49454  |  Link
ryrynz

Did you make a copy first? Madshi may be interested in knowing what's going on with junk in the profile.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2018, 12:46   #49455  |  Link
mzso

Hi!

Any Windows 10 users here?
When I experimented with it a while ago I had a significant issue with video playback: after I left the media player paused for a while and wanted to resume playback the video froze with madVR (not sure about other renderers, I forgot whether I checked or not...). I had to stop playback and restart. Very inconvenient.

Do such things still happen on Windows 10?

BTW. How does it compare to Windows 8.1 from the aspect of multimedia?
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2018, 15:28   #49456  |  Link
mclingo

anyone else out there with a 2015 or 2016 LG OLED without a pro calibration, just wondering what you've set your MADVR calibration to, DCI-P3 / power curve 2.20 looks the best to my eyes, with calibration disabled MADVR is overblowing colour, mainly reds for me.

No idea if this is even correct.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2018, 15:31   #49457  |  Link
foozoor

Is madVR dead or its development stalled?
Did mpv win the battle?
foozoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2018, 15:50   #49458  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by foozoor View Post
Is madVR dead or its development stalled?
Did mpv win the battle?
No, and no.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2018, 17:13   #49459  |  Link
clsid

Madshi is often inactive here for long periods. That is when he is busy performing magic. Just be patient, a shiny new version will appear eventually
Old 8th March 2018, 17:34   #49460  |  Link
cremor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzso View Post
Any Windows 10 users here?
When I experimented with it a while ago I had a significant issue with video playback: after I left the media player paused for a while and wanted to resume playback the video froze with madVR (not sure about other renderers, I forgot whether I checked or not...). I had to stop playback and restart. Very inconvenient.

Do such things still happen on Windows 10?
Yes, I sometimes have the same problem, but it only happens if you leave the PC long enough so that Windows turns off the display. So one workaround would be to increase that time or disable the function completely.
cremor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling