Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 28th May 2017, 11:41   #41  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
B Frames disabled, Slices enabled, Threads reduced, Lookahead threads increased. Nothing that'd make it possible to cut on any frame.
Without B frames you can cut at the end on arbitrary frames. OP was talking about something like that (post #22).
But of course solutions like SolveigMM Video Splitter should handle such cases without re-encoding as well.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2017, 22:38   #42  |  Link
hello_hello

Yes, I tried it without B-Frames and VirtualDub will cut an AVI on a non keyframe, as long as everything from the cut point to a later keyframe is removed (or from the cut point to the end).

A quick test with MKVToolNix indicates it sticks to splitting on keyframes but it's not really an editor and I guess the assumption is all the segments should be playable.

Still, cutting on any frame that way would require disabling B-frames or using the zero latency option, and the OP didn't indicate he was doing either.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2018, 23:30   #43  |  Link
isidroco

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyBarnes View Post
...I could convert AVI to MKV at any time, but not the reverse, another thing I dislike about MKV.
For MKV to AVI:
Usually I use MKVcleaver v0.7.0.2 (needs MKVtoolnix) to extract all streams from all MKVs (will make AVIs from h264 streams), and I use a batch for directStream muxing all videos and audios.
Batch: https://sourceforge.net/projects/vir...urce=directory
MKVcleaver: https://blogs.sapib.ca/apps/mkvcleaver/
isidroco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2018, 01:28   #44  |  Link
JimmyBarnes
the Interrogator

Quote:
Originally Posted by isidroco View Post
For MKV to AVI:
Usually I use MKVcleaver v0.7.0.2 (needs MKVtoolnix) to extract all streams from all MKVs (will make AVIs from h264 streams) [snip] MKVcleaver: https://blogs.sapib.ca/apps/mkvcleaver/
Thanks, I'll give it a go..
JimmyBarnes is offline   Reply With Quote