Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th March 2024, 18:02   #1  |  Link
averagePedestrian

Characters flickering and shaking during panning scenes in movies and anime.

When I watch content at 23.976fps with panning shots involving still objects/characters on my HP x24ih 144Hz monitor, the characters flicker and shake. For example, try watching this video on a high frame rate display. Interestingly, the video appears perfectly fine on my 60Hz smartphone.

I’ve been struggling to find a solution for this issue over the last three days. I tried a couple of different things like creating a custom resolution of 119.880 Hz using CRU, adjusting response time levels, and experimenting with Madvr/mpv for smooth motion/interpolation during media playback. Unfortunately, none of these efforts yielded positive results. I also tried motion interpolation using SVP, which seems to fix the issue, but I’d prefer not to use it due to the soap opera effect and strain on my GPU.

Does anyone have any suggestions for settings I should modify in my video player configuration, Windows display properties, or Nvidia control panel to eliminate the flickering during panning scenes when watching 23.976fps content on my 144Hz monitor? I want to resolve this without resorting to software-based motion interpolation if possible. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated, as this has been quite frustrating.
averagePedestrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2024, 12:13   #2  |  Link
pirlouy
_

The first step would be to share a sample of the original video (be sure there's no reference of a commercial stuff).
pirlouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2024, 13:46   #3  |  Link
huhn

you did the most obvious stuff already.
similar to this issue shown here the 3 ghosting?
https://www.testufo.com

the video is also not that useful it a 23p video played at 72 hz and recorded at 60.

you can share commercial samples here on the forum just rip the disc you brought yourself and make sure it's not to long.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2024, 17:48   #4  |  Link
Sunspark

Eureka Seven is from 2005-2006 which means it would have been broadcast in Japan as telecined NTSC at that time. Japan didn't begin the transition to digital hdtv until 2008 and the switchover didn't happen until 2011. It's a question mark as to whether the conversion to the format you're viewing it in was done properly.

Does the same thing happen for you with something much newer, let's say 2020, which would have been progressive 720p even if still in 23.976?
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flickering, madvr, mpc-hc, mpv, stuttering