Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old Yesterday, 08:42   #1  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

DeOldify and AI Colorization: my experience

Hi there,
I was looking at DeOldify https://github.com/jantic/DeOldify as an AI model for colorizing grayscale pictures. So the idea was to take a video, export a sequence of .tiff via FFMpeg, let them run through DeOldify and then put them back together via FFMpeg. Unfortunately, it seems to be only working in Linux and the guide covers Ubuntu, so I had to fire up my Fedora and pray for it to work. The idea behind DeOldify is a series of models trained by several people to colorize pictures automatically.

This is what I've got with the 1948 Winter Olympics:

(Grayscale Remastering on the left, AI Colorized Output on the right)

Of course, I have no idea about whether colors are actually historically correct or not but some of them are clearly not like those:

In the very last example, it didn't recognized faces, probably due to the low definition of the original picture (my heavy filtering probably didn't help either // KillerSpot, SpotLess, MDegrain, DFTTest //) and I'm pretty sure it thought they were flowers on a field, instead of humans.
All in all, I think it's not really ready to be used for something like this, especially 'cause it's such an important event, so I'm gonna stick with grayscale. Human made colorizations are probably the best but I've never done it and from what I saw it takes a lot of time (even if object tracking tools like Mocha etc come into help).

So... what do you think about DeOldify and AI Colorization algorithms in general? Do you use them? Do you have one you prefer over the others? Let me know.

p.s images have been scaled down to fit on Doom9

Last edited by FranceBB; Yesterday at 16:41.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote