Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC)

Old Today, 09:40   #121  |  Link
excellentswordfight
Lost my old account :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder View Post
To me it looks like x265 has SAO enabled which is a no-no if you don't want it to smooth everything. Also, are they all the same frame type? It's pointless comparing a P-frame to a B-frame when you look at single frames.
At this bitrate/compression I dont think turning off sao will do much good, and x265 medium has already more detail than nvenc in these samples anyway. I think the reason why NikosD finds nvenc superior is cause it is smoother, not the other way arround (he thinks the the clothes looks better, and they are more smudged together). x265 medium is overall much sharper, this is very clear when jumping between them, but since the bitrate is not sufficiant this also makes the people seem more cluttered.

I also had a look at the new JC samples without any filters, and it looks much better (if it was the old filters that was the issue or the new settings I'm not sure though). JC_const_quality_4Mbps looks absolutely fine now and do not suffer at all as much from inconsistent frame quality.

Last edited by excellentswordfight; Today at 09:49.
excellentswordfight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:00   #122  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by excellentswordfight View Post
At this bitrate/compression I dont think turning off sao will do much good, and x265 medium has already more detail than nvenc in these samples anyway. I think the reason why NikosD finds nvenc superior is cause it is smoother, not the other way arround (he thinks the the clothes looks better, and they are more smudged together). x265 medium is overall much sharper, this is very clear when jumping between them, but since the bitrate is not sufficiant this also makes the people seem more cluttered.

I also had a look at the new JC samples without any filters, and it looks much better (if it was the old filters that was the issue or the new settings I'm not sure though). JC_const_quality_4Mbps looks absolutely fine now and do not suffer at all as much from inconsistent frame quality.
Gah, I had the images in a wrong order in the tabs so I was looking at NVEnc thinking it's x265 and vice versa. That's why I thought x265 looked so smoothed out.
Old Today, 10:24   #123  |  Link
NikosD

Quote:
Originally Posted by excellentswordfight View Post
I think the reason why NikosD finds nvenc superior is cause it is smoother, not the other way arround (he thinks the the clothes looks better, and they are more smudged together)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder View Post
That's why I thought x265 looked so smoothed out.
Guys, are you telling me that the clothes of x265 medium are detailed and sharp and not messed up with the background of grass and trees and leafs ?
Because I just see blocks of pixels mixed with the background instead of clothes.
NikosD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:44   #124  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

They are more detailed than in the NVEnc one. I don't care if it's fake detail or real because when you watch the video from the normal viewing distance, you cannot tell which one it is. NVEnc is just oversmoothed to my taste. If you look at the leaves in the trees, they are quite smudged compared to x265. The same goes for the tree bark, it's almost unicoloured in NVEnc so all the detail in the shadows is lost.
Old Today, 16:08   #125  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
x264 Very Slow is better than x265 Medium, but NVEnc is better than both especially x265 medium
I like how you ignored blurry leaves,tress and dark area in center. x264 is still a king. Period.

x264 veryslow

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; Today at 16:16.
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote