Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 29th December 2008, 06:08   #181  |  Link
Capsbackup

Quote:
Did you have the default settings selected for audio, or are you trying to keep the originals? Note: The "English is always heard" is how it is supposed to work that way for silenced tracks (not necessarily English -- but whatever was kept).
Yes default english audio track was the only audio track selected.
Quote:
Are you using the latest firmware on the BX-1? I think it is version 010. It has some fixes related to BD-JAVA.
Yes, this is the most current firmware and I have updated to it.
Capsbackup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2008, 13:05   #182  |  Link
BZeeme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
I don't know how often we will see such interlaced VC-1 clips in Extras. Perhaps a motivation for jdobbs to put the option for blanking of unwanted clips higher in the priority list .
Perhaps a quick fix could be just to automatically skip such clips in BD-RB which cannot be decoded.

Added:
Not sure if and how x264 handles interlaced material and field order.
Does interlaced stuff have to be de-interlaced before encoding?
From the RipBot264 thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamd1 View Post
I'm having trouble using ripbot on Galapagos Bluray. The .m2ts files are level 3, 1920x1080 interlaced at 29.97 framerate. Ripbot seemingly demuxes the files ok - but when it comes to gathering information the program hangs and media player tries to open with no message - There is no log produced by ripbot after closing. I don't remember trying a level 3 file before - I have tried several versions of ripbot , starting with the latest one. All give the same results. Any help appreciated.
Reply from the RipBot264 author:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
go to ffdshow -> Codecs -> VC-1 -> change libavcodec to wmv9
Unfortunately libavcodec do not support interlaced vc-1
Code:
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
TEST
"code" tag can be added via edit to clean up a long post.
Test done on an old post rather than adding an off topic
post to this thread.

Last edited by BZeeme; 26th February 2009 at 11:25. Reason: Test of [code] 3
BZeeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2008, 13:14   #183  |  Link
jdobbs

I did that (changed CODEC to WMV9) in the example posted -- it still didn't play right (blockiness).
Old 29th December 2008, 15:04   #184  |  Link
Chefkoch_ico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkoch_ico View Post
Hi!

I have done National Treasure 2, German Version. Basic functions are working, but:

- Main Menu is stuttering, and there is no sound there (thats maybe, because I only added german at the main movie)
- No English audio, does not matter, if I select it via Popup Menu via PowerDVD option, german and english commentaries are OK.
The original english Audio is TrueHD.

I now started over again, and added everywhere the german audio, maybe thats fixing a few things, especially the menu.
I now set the audio options so, that all audio is encoded, now I have also english audio.

But the menu stuttering (and no Audio in menu) did not go away. I looks like this (only 3 MB)

One additional thing about settings and audio:
I set in setup Audio languages to keep: English and German. However, only English is kept automatically. I need to add german audio on every Title manually.

Bye
Chefkoch_ico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2008, 15:13   #185  |  Link
jdobbs

Don't know if this might have anything to do with your problem, but which german choice are you selecting (e.g. "ger" or "deu")? It has to match the code in the source. I think "ger" is the more common one, but I'm really not sure.
Old 29th December 2008, 18:40   #186  |  Link
[SLiM]D12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron spencer View Post
well after one day Wall-E was done (just have Pentium D). I had to use txmuxer to join the MOVIE ONLY m2ts together as this movie branches and BD Rebuilder does not parse the playlist files yet. So it took my input and converted all ok...although the AC3 was 448 bitrate instead of 664, which is what BR is supposed to be I think.

Result? Well it looks real good on single layer DVD, although in dark scenes it does not hold up to quality as original blu ray...fast scenes ok...so I guess just dark areas not as good on my 50" samsung plasma. This was movie only as I think full backups will really impede video quality, but that is just in my eye.

looks good!!!

I tried this one too, and yeah i've run into the same issue with the parsing of the playlist files. Is there an easy way to tell prior to starting a project if it branches like Wall-E does? Thoughts?
Old 29th December 2008, 20:11   #187  |  Link
jdobbs

BD Rebuilder should parse the playlist correctly... what kind of issue are you seeing specifically?
Old 29th December 2008, 20:27   #188  |  Link
klas

When it has finished the first pass BD rebuilder has been stopped and marked 100% of current progress and overal progress. I pressed abort and I resume and has begun the second phase and the correct % of both.
klas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2008, 21:38   #189  |  Link
[SLiM]D12

actually jdobbs i'm not sure. I've only backed up Wall-E to this point, and when i put it into the PS3 nothing works, not menu, it sees the disc as a "Data Disc". When i use the same disc in my computer with the bd-rw it plays back fine, so i'm not sure where the issue is. I see others report this type of behaviour but no real answer at this point, off-topic to this thread but bound to come up again mind you....
Old 29th December 2008, 21:46   #190  |  Link
rendez2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by [SLiM]D12 View Post
actually jdobbs i'm not sure. I've only backed up Wall-E to this point, and when i put it into the PS3 nothing works, not menu, it sees the disc as a "Data Disc". When i use the same disc in my computer with the bd-rw it plays back fine, so i'm not sure where the issue is. I see others report this type of behaviour but no real answer at this point, off-topic to this thread but bound to come up again mind you....
Can you test this for us and report back in that thread?

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...11#post1229611
rendez2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2008, 21:54   #191  |  Link
Capsbackup

Well I just finished backing up The Scorpion King, NTSC, Full backup, 4.09GB and burned to DVD+RW. Not having much success here and I am not sure what the problem is. Let me clarify - the audio for the main movie just does not play when burned to a DVD+RW, as with previous attempts. The main menu only plays for about 33 seconds before pausing, and when it continues, there is only audio while the video remains a still image at the pause point. I can select the menu buttons for the disc, so all is still functioning. However, after selecting play, the movie starts and the video looks great, just no audio is heard. Also, as with other backup tests reported, I cannot select subtitles from the remote, no pop up or available subtitles are displayed. Same with audio button, no pop up to display other available tracks.
So I burn the same files to a BD-RE disc, and now the audio and subtitles play fine, with the ability to change both audio and subtitle tracks from the remote during playback of the movie.( There is only the 1 eng. AC3 audio file that plays of course, but the button on the remote brings up the options as if there were other tracks available). The menu video still does its pause at the same time interval as the DVD+RW. However, this is not a big concern since I usually press play before the menu loop anyway, but I just wanted to report my findings.
I only have the Sony BDP-BX1 to test with, so I don't know if it is player related or if it could be a BD-RB bug. I use only the default settings, and ImgBurn.
I have made numerous movie only backups, not with BD-RB, and never had a problem.BDP-BX1 plays back movie only perfectly. I hope these tests I have reported can help track down if there is a bug, or if I need to do or change something, I am open to any and all suggestions. I would like to be able to keep the menus and burn to DVD-R or DVD+R DL just like all of those succesful reports I have read!
Old 29th December 2008, 23:34   #192  |  Link
Vanderlow

could your dvd+rw be faulty ? have you done a quality scan on it?
Vanderlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2008, 23:38   #193  |  Link
Chefkoch_ico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkoch_ico View Post
I now set the audio options so, that all audio is encoded, now I have also english audio.

But the menu stuttering (and no Audio in menu) did not go away. I looks like this (only 3 MB)

One additional thing about settings and audio:
I set in setup Audio languages to keep: English and German. However, only English is kept automatically. I need to add german audio on every Title manually.
So, two things solved:
- thx jdobbs for pointing me to the additional entry for german language (deu and ger). When checked both, the preselection is working fine. Previously I only had "ger" checked.
- The menu stuttering disappeared, when I installed the latest update for PowerDVD 7.3 Ultra

The Sound in menu is still missing, but thats maybe simple a Problem, that the menu sound is not eng or ger language and so not be added.

Bye
Chefkoch_ico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2008, 23:43   #194  |  Link
[SLiM]D12

@rendez2k

I tried what was mentioned in that thread and had the same issue where the menu would not play. It would just play all previews and all else was fine, but once it got to the menu, it would cut out.
Old 30th December 2008, 00:10   #195  |  Link
Capsbackup

Quote:
could your dvd+rw be faulty ? have you done a quality scan on it?
I don't think I would have the success that I have had if it was the drive. Besides, tried with 3 different drives, and all DVD+RW burns experience the same behavior. Only has the BD-RE drive with BD-RE media worked. Even this same BD-RE drive burning DVD+RW media has the same results as the others.
Old 30th December 2008, 05:52   #196  |  Link
writersblock29

@Capsbackup

I believe he's talking about the disk itself, which makes sense. Rewritables are subject to a lot of the same things regular write-once disks are, with the added downfall that they get burned and erased multiple times. Many set tops also give issues with rewritables that don't appear with a finalized standard (write-once) blank.

If you have Nero, go to the toolkit and choose Nero Diskspeed. There, you can run scans on your disk that can look for errors as well as bad sectors. If you don't have Nero, VSO software has a utility called VSO Inspector, which can do many of the same things.

Or, if you have another rewriteable at your disposal, you can try burning another copy to rule out at least that particular disk... but if you still have problems, where do you go from there? It might be another faulty disk... picky players... hard to say. I'd start with the error scans first.
Old 30th December 2008, 07:48   #197  |  Link
rendez2k

Damn it! My latest BD5 backup is too big for DVD+R - can anything be deleted from the files to free up around 10mb? I guess the sizing isn't quite right yet.... should I try putting the default size down a bit for future encodes?
rendez2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 09:59   #198  |  Link
Sharc

If you have a DVD-R at hand it would offer about 7 MB more space compared to a DVD+R. You may try.....
My few tests (full backup) with BD-RB ended up in the range of 96 ...98%.

Added:
Btw, when you experience problems with the playback of BD-RB backups, did you select anything like "skip intros / jump directly to the main menu" for the rips?

Last edited by Sharc; 30th December 2008 at 10:09.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 20:15   #199  |  Link
[SLiM]D12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post

Added:
Btw, when you experience problems with the playback of BD-RB backups, did you select anything like "skip intros / jump directly to the main menu" for the rips?
I know for me and my test, i couldn't choose menu, kept saying "the operation is not allowed here..."
Old 30th December 2008, 21:08   #200  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendez2k View Post
Damn it! My latest BD5 backup is too big for DVD+R - can anything be deleted from the files to free up around 10mb? I guess the sizing isn't quite right yet.... should I try putting the default size down a bit for future encodes?
Have you changed the target size or selection of audio after the encode? I've had a couple go under, but have never had one go over.

One easy way to make it fit is to manually reencode the audio at a lower rate, or manually reencode one of the extras at a lower rate. Then just run it again, and it will say "resume?" -- when you resume it will rebuild using the new values.