Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 6th January 2018, 17:03   #41  |  Link
ocean

Hi jdobbs, for the HDR static metadata extensions you can see the Standard CEA 861.3 and later document, the values should be read from the main file mpls of the movie, to read them I used BD-Tools.
ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2018, 18:25   #42  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean View Post
Hi jdobbs, for the HDR static metadata extensions you can see the Standard CEA 861.3 and later document, the values should be read from the main file mpls of the movie, to read them I used BD-Tools.
The problem is that I only work on the output folder. There is no guarantee that TSM2UHD will even have access to the original MPLS file.
Old 7th January 2018, 23:39   #43  |  Link
ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
The problem is that I only work on the output folder. There is no guarantee that TSM2UHD will even have access to the original MPLS file.
I understand, for confirmation I replaced the mpls file and clpi with the originals, in the structure created by TSM2UHD, HDR it works.
Old 10th January 2018, 17:15   #44  |  Link
frank
Banned

Use ffmpeg 64 bit
--preset faster --ctu 32 --crf 22
-o output.265

It's good and fast.

Don't use
--slices 4 --input-depth 10 --output-depth 10 --level-idc 51
x265 sets it automatically right. level 50 is sufficient for BD bitrates.

Maybe the --slices instruction is the cause of stuttering. ffmpeg had problems with it (lookahead).
I only make mkv and never had problems with --uhd-bd

ffmpeg64.exe -loglevel warning << info or verbose gives more information about decoding

Last edited by frank; 10th January 2018 at 17:45.
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2018, 21:35   #45  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
Use ffmpeg 64 bit
--preset faster --ctu 32 --crf 22
-o output.265

It's good and fast.

Don't use
--slices 4 --input-depth 10 --output-depth 10 --level-idc 51
x265 sets it automatically right. level 50 is sufficient for BD bitrates.

Maybe the --slices instruction is the cause of stuttering. ffmpeg had problems with it (lookahead).
I only make mkv and never had problems with --uhd-bd

ffmpeg64.exe -loglevel warning << info or verbose gives more information about decoding
Actually, if I recall correctly, I think I added the "--slices 4" in order to get rid of stuttering.

If you made an MKV it doesn't have to be UHD-BD compliant either... I can tell you that using "--uhd-bd" cause problems on my Sony player because it forces settings that cause stutter.

Last edited by jdobbs; 10th January 2018 at 21:40.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2018, 05:16   #46  |  Link
A.Fenderson

jdobbs strikes again!

I was just doing my semi-annual web search for any free UHD authoring tools and ran across this tool. Of course jdobbs, building on work by the tsMuxeR author(s) of course, is the first person on the internet to get this working at all! :-)

Despite having rushed the test and largely having no idea what I'm doing, I can report success under the following scenario:

Source file info (captured with Sony FDR-AX53 @ 4K/29.97fps):
Code:
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : High@L5.1
Format settings                          : CABAC / 2 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, RefFrames               : 2 frames
Codec ID                                 : avc1
Codec ID/Info                            : Advanced Video Coding
Duration                                 : 4 min 2 s
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 93.7 Mb/s
Maximum bit rate                         : 100.0 Mb/s
Width                                    : 3 840 pixels
Height                                   : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 29.970 (30000/1001) FPS
video reencode to h265 was via HandBrake with custom settings:
x265 (w/ AAC audio reencoded from PCM, inside MKV)
no change to resolution, anamorphic: none.
no filters
constant framerate
35000 kbps avg bitrate, 2-pass encode
(ultrafast, fwiw, to get it done sooner)

Remuxed with tsMuxeR 2.6.11 to Blu-ray folder output.

note: at this point I did burn the raw tsMuxeR output to a BD-RE25, which would play with audio and no video on my Xbox One S.

Processed with the TSM2UHD.

Burned final Blu-ray folder structure to BD-RE25 via ImgBurn 2.5.8.0.

Played back flawlessly in my Xbox One S.

One mistake I noticed I made was to leave Handbrake's framerate at 30fps instead of "same as source" or even 29.97 (I was working from an existing template and neglected to change this). The output file shows as 30.0 fps in MediaInfo, yet when played on the XB1S, it shows as 25fps and outputs at 50fps.

In any case, so far as I can tell this is a major breakthrough in home-authoring of UHD BD content, and therefore I am contributing to jdobbs for his initiative in tackling this issue (if he will kindly PM me the email address to which I can send his donation).

A.Fenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2018, 16:50   #47  |  Link
frank
Banned

jdobbs:
Quote:
I think I added the "--slices 4" in order to get rid of stuttering.
x265 sets lslices=8, so all my hardware incl. libreELEC TV-Box play 4k streams flawlessly with HW-decoding.

Unfortunately old TsMuxer was not developed and tested with 4k HEVC...
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2018, 20:05   #48  |  Link
A.Fenderson

I ran another test, again encoding via Handbrake, but this time bumping the bitrate to 50,000 kbps (and keeping source framerate intact), then burning to 50GB BD-RE DL. Source material, as before, is 8-bit (SDR) 4K 4:2:0 output from Sony FDR-AX53.

tsMuxeR didn't detect frame-rate, so set explicitly to 30000/1001 to match source file. Inserted chapter every 1 minute.

Burned the raw remux to BD-RE DL 50GB and attempted to play in XB1S: audio with no video.

Processed tsMuxer's output via TSM2UHD, burned this to BD-RE DL, and attempted to play in my XB1S: overall decent playback, with very occasional stuttering, though any attempt to skip chapters would lock up playback and force me to exit the BD player application entirely. Oddly, the bitrate readout of the XB1S very regularly showed bitrates far in excess of 50 Mbps, sometimes for several seconds at a time. It even hovered in the mid 70s for several seconds once. I don't know whether to chalk these issues up to simply a worthless implementation of bitrate monitor on that system, bad rate control from x265 (highly unlikely), Handbrake not properly passing the rate control parameters off to x265 (also seems unlikely), problems caused by encoding via the Handbrake GUI in the first place without explicitly passing the required parameters to restrict the encode to UHD compatibility, or something else entirely. In any case, to get meaningful results, I'm going to have to quit being lazy with these encodes to ensure the results meet UHD-BD restrictions.

jdobbs: If you will let me know which UHD-BD player(s) you are testing on, I will possibly attempt to purchase a proper standalone player of a different brand and/or model myself so that we can test across as many different players as possible: I've been wanting to get one anyway, and I think it would make for more valuable tests than using the Xbox. Is your Sony player the X800? Also the donation link in your sig doesn't auto-fill your email address.
Old 13th January 2018, 00:06   #49  |  Link
LowDead
Elit Amans

@A.Fenderson: Yes, he has the Sony. I have the Samsung UBD-K8500. So any other then for you ;-)

//LD
LowDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2018, 01:16   #50  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Fenderson View Post
I ran another test, again encoding via Handbrake, but this time bumping the bitrate to 50,000 kbps (and keeping source framerate intact), then burning to 50GB BD-RE DL. Source material, as before, is 8-bit (SDR) 4K 4:2:0 output from Sony FDR-AX53.

tsMuxeR didn't detect frame-rate, so set explicitly to 30000/1001 to match source file. Inserted chapter every 1 minute.

Burned the raw remux to BD-RE DL 50GB and attempted to play in XB1S: audio with no video.

Processed tsMuxer's output via TSM2UHD, burned this to BD-RE DL, and attempted to play in my XB1S: overall decent playback, with very occasional stuttering, though any attempt to skip chapters would lock up playback and force me to exit the BD player application entirely. Oddly, the bitrate readout of the XB1S very regularly showed bitrates far in excess of 50 Mbps, sometimes for several seconds at a time. It even hovered in the mid 70s for several seconds once. I don't know whether to chalk these issues up to simply a worthless implementation of bitrate monitor on that system, bad rate control from x265 (highly unlikely), Handbrake not properly passing the rate control parameters off to x265 (also seems unlikely), problems caused by encoding via the Handbrake GUI in the first place without explicitly passing the required parameters to restrict the encode to UHD compatibility, or something else entirely. In any case, to get meaningful results, I'm going to have to quit being lazy with these encodes to ensure the results meet UHD-BD restrictions.

jdobbs: If you will let me know which UHD-BD player(s) you are testing on, I will possibly attempt to purchase a proper standalone player of a different brand and/or model myself so that we can test across as many different players as possible: I've been wanting to get one anyway, and I think it would make for more valuable tests than using the Xbox. Is your Sony player the X800? Also the donation link in your sig doesn't auto-fill your email address.
Just a note... I don't think 29.97fps is legal for 2160p. Below is a table I saw in the v3.1 White Paper that can be downloaded for free. Make sure you are setting the MAXIMUM bitrate to 50Mbs, not the average bitrate.

There may be something extra that is needed in order for 2160p chapter skipping to work that TSMUXER doesn't provide. There's already been a report of an extension for HDR that I didn't know about, so it wouldn't surprise me. I'll have to do some comparisons of the original and TSMUXER files and see what I find.

My UHD-BD player is a Sony UBP-X800.
Attached Images

Last edited by jdobbs; 13th January 2018 at 01:24.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2018, 05:50   #51  |  Link
A.Fenderson

OK, thanks for the replies.

I ordered the LG UP870, as it's the cheapest standalone I could find (just over $100 USD here) and a different brand from either LowDead's or jdobbs' machines.

Yeah, I obviously don't know what I'm doing when reencoding, so I'm going to have to put some work into it. I had skimmed through that whitepaper and not even made a mental note of the allowable framerates.

I did find out that I can pass the uhd-bd flag to x265 via Handbrake in the "extra options" field, but I then also realized that 8-bit color is not UHD-BD compatible either:
Code:
x265 [error]: uhd-bd: bit depth, chroma subsample, source picture type must be 10, 4:2:0, progressive
So obviously I have lots more research to do to get up to speed on this. If anyone has links for noobs to try to learn x265 CLI and/or downloadable and copyright-free non-HDR 10-bit UHD video clips, that would be appreciated too.
Old 14th January 2018, 00:18   #52  |  Link
LowDead
Elit Amans

@jdobbs: Have you tried a 1:1 copy of a movie that fits a bd-50? I have done a couple, and what strikes me is that they play flawlessly. For instance mediainfo report Maximum Overall bit rate: 109 Mb/s for Rise of the planet of the apes. As I don't have bitrate display on the Samsung I have to rely on software.

//LD
Old 14th January 2018, 05:26   #53  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowDead View Post
@jdobbs: Have you tried a 1:1 copy of a movie that fits a bd-50? I have done a couple, and what strikes me is that they play flawlessly. For instance mediainfo report Maximum Overall bit rate: 109 Mb/s for Rise of the planet of the apes. As I don't have bitrate display on the Samsung I have to rely on software.

//LD
I have and it doesn't work for me. The bitrate is too high and the playback stutters. I'm guessing the only reason it is working is because you are using a software player. 109Mbs is the maximum bitrate for a BD-100, not a BD-50.
Old 14th January 2018, 19:32   #54  |  Link
LowDead
Elit Amans

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
I have and it doesn't work for me. The bitrate is too high and the playback stutters. I'm guessing the only reason it is working is because you are using a software player. 109Mbs is the maximum bitrate for a BD-100, not a BD-50.
Sorry for not being clear. It works flawlessly on my samsung standalone. Maybe it has a good amount of memory for caching? I have no idea, but it works. I checked the bitrate on my pc.

//LD
Old 14th January 2018, 20:38   #55  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Sorry for not being clear. It works flawlessly on my samsung standalone. Maybe it has a good amount of memory for caching? I have no idea, but it works. I checked the bitrate on my pc.

//LD
My guess is that you got lucky. I'm assuming that the maximum bitrate increases due to spin speed of the disc. It sounds like your player spins at 4x even with a BD-50.
Old 15th January 2018, 22:56   #56  |  Link
ocean

Tested Rise of the planet of the apes mastered on BD-RE 50GB, with XBOX One X and Samsung UBD-K8500, fluid vision without stuttering, m2ts main 35 GiB, peak bitrate 64 Mb/s, average bitrate 40-45 Mb/s.

Last edited by ocean; 15th January 2018 at 22:58.
Old 16th January 2018, 00:51   #57  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean View Post
Tested Rise of the planet of the apes mastered on BD-RE 50GB, with XBOX One X and Samsung UBD-K8500, fluid vision without stuttering, m2ts main 35 GiB, peak bitrate 64 Mb/s, average bitrate 40-45 Mb/s.
Thanks for posting.

Just out of curiosity... what command line did you use for reencoding?
Old 17th January 2018, 13:06   #58  |  Link
wolflop

Ive send you samples 3 weeks ago. Did you find something out jdobbs?
wolflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2018, 23:20   #59  |  Link
LowDead
Elit Amans

@jdobbs: Would it be possible for you to squeeze in x264 m2ts support also? Have some I wanna test with.

//LD
Old 18th January 2018, 05:21   #60  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
@jdobbs: Would it be possible for you to squeeze in x264 m2ts support also? Have some I wanna test with.

//LD
I don't understand what you are asking for?