Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > Forum / Site Suggestions & Help

Old 7th December 2019, 11:54   #1  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Forum needs better anti-Spam feature

Those spam posts seem to appear from time to time (once a week?)

My suggestion is to implement some filter which would automatically ban users when post (topic) contains those question marks and dashes.

Another garbage post

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 7th December 2019 at 15:34.
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2019, 04:54   #2  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Yep, I noticed them in the General Section quite a lot.
I might be wrong but I think that Doom9 used to have questions asked to verify users upon registration like "What does DCT stands for?" or "What's a good H.264 encoder?" and stuff like that.
Unfortunately newbies had no idea whatsoever about linear algebra, Transforms and x264, so they didn't know how to answer.
Besides, even those who did know how to answer, had to do it a few times 'cause the algorithm that checked the answers was very picky (spaces, capital letters etc).
All this was preventing a good part of genuine users who really wanted to learn from registering to the forum, so they scrapped it, which made registration easier but it also opened the door to several spammers.
I would personally suggest to re-introduce something like the old verification method, but with easier questions for newbies and a bit more... uh... "agile" checking system.

That's just a theory, but I might have got it terribly wrong and confused Doom9 with the Avisynth Wiki.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2019, 12:51   #3  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Speaking of spam, it just happened again: holdyoutighter13 is spamming the general section with several topics...

EDIT: and now that idiot is spamming the Avisynth section as well... -.-

Last edited by FranceBB; 18th December 2019 at 12:58.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2020, 09:47   #4  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Spammers are getting a bit much of late, USER:- mapofthesoul38
Posted 12 pages of new threads today entitled
Quote:
바카라싸이트순천-会⌠ tgv45。com ⌡会-바카라싸이트서울
[12 pages of threads when viewed via hs profile, "Find all threads started by mapofthesoul38 "]

I dont know if it is possible to apply some rule like this, but,

On the first X daywise occasions that a new user posts either a reply or a new thread, he/she may only do so up to Y number of times in each of the first X posting days.

Say X=3, and Y=5, they may post no more than 5 posts/threads in any one day, for the first 3 daily occasions that they decide to post. Days when there are no posts, dont count.

Basically, spammers would have to serve an 'Apprenticeship' making between 1 and 5(Y) posts [EDIT: per counting X day] spread over 3(X) separate days before they were 'set free'.
The Apprenticeship posts, and required repeat visits and necessity to post at least X sensible posts would hopefully deter them.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 3rd February 2020 at 16:13.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2020, 11:53   #5  |  Link
gonca

They would just use multiple accounts to spam
gonca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2020, 12:12   #6  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

And each of those accounts would have to make at least 3 sensible posts, and over at least 3 separate visits,
There would be easier targets.

EDIT: Multiple non sensible/out-of-context posts could be flagged by users, and if odd behaviour ensues on apprenticeship completion, then auto suspend user.
It should be made 'more bother than it is worth' for the spammer, predators go for the weaker prey, we need make the costs too high.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 3rd February 2020 at 16:22.
Old 3rd February 2020, 12:37   #7  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Capture thing ain't much of a problem for a human. It was a guy that was posting, I watched him for a bit.
Copy paste is real handy, robot not necessary.

EDIT: At least that is how it seemed to me, was a wee bit too slow for a robot.
Any variation that made the effort required too high, would be just as good. [without impacting the normal new user].

Even a simple limit on the number of allowed posts per day over the first Z number of days would work well, they would be caught the first day in most circumstances.

EDIT: I suppose we could knock up a bot to patrol when human moderators are all abscent, with autonomy to suspend supect new users, maybe we could call it "Gort".

Last edited by StainlessS; 3rd February 2020 at 16:43.
Old 3rd February 2020, 17:11   #8  |  Link
gonca

How about we call it Rusty or StainmoreE, after you
gonca is offline   Reply With Quote