Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 7th March 2012, 18:07   #1  |  Link
emailcraigs

Seamless transitioned Multi-playlist, multi-title, Bluray authoring

Is this even possible? I've been able to get seamless working within a playlist inside of a title, but how can you have seamless transitions from say the main menu to a secondary menu when jumping titles? I want to be able to have a main menu and three sub-menus that link to content and use a motion menu to seamlessly transition back and forth between them.

Anytime you jump between titles there is going to be a black pause on players that don't freeze the last frame. Is there a way to make players freeze the last frame while transitioning to another clip? This makes having a motion menu pointless as you will always have a black pause; at least on my samsung player.

The best I can manage is main menu > black pause > transition > new menu or I could have the black pause after the transition and before the new menu. I've tried to work within one playlist, but you can only have one IG assigned per playlist so you can only have one pop up menu and wont be able to control the multiple menus. So, I admit I have limited knowledge....does anybody have any insight into this? A way to do it via Navicommand? I realize that bluray is mainly for playing one video with perhaps a few chapter points, but what about personal projects? There doesnt seem to be a way to do anything half way professional. The DVD spec seems to work much better for this, but I like HD content.
emailcraigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 22:35   #2  |  Link
rik1138

You can't get a seamless jump between titles, and the player controls whether it holds a frame or displays black (I think most display black).

In general, when doing HDMV menus, you try to avoid Title jumps while navigating the menus. You should only need one IG, you can put all the different pages you need in one IG (unless you've filled the graphics buffer and need to do more menus...) But if you are determined to have video transitions when you go to different menu areas, the black pauses are probably unavoidable... It's a little more seamless with Java based menus if it's built right, but it still isn't perfect...
rik1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2012, 21:44   #3  |  Link
emailcraigs

As I feared...

Thanks for the reply rik. So I guess there is no way to add commands to the ends of specific playlist items and navigate through one playlist that way. It seems the Bluray spec lets you get very close to doing what a lot of people want to do and there always seems to be one missing link to get it done. LOL.
emailcraigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2012, 22:23   #4  |  Link
rik1138

You can put commands at 'the end' of a Title, so when the title finishes playing (i.e., the PlayList reaches it's end) it will execute your commands...

But if you want something on the order of Cell commands on DVD (jumping at certain chapters or PlayItems on a PlayList), that will require Java programming. HDMV mode does have plenty of features, and works well for the basic "movie and some bonus materials" type disc, but if you want to start getting really creative with it, you have to move to Java programming...
rik1138 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navicommand, scenarist, seamless