Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Programming and Hacking > Development

Old 19th March 2012, 12:34   #621  |  Link
mariush

You can disable it if you use the command line encoder or if you encode the files to mp3 from a software that allows you to edit the parameters.

examples...

lame.exe -noreplaygain --preset insane file.wav file.mp3

will create file.mp3 out of file.wav , a 320kbps cbr file with minimal loss and no replay gain

lame.exe -noreplaygain --preset standard file.wav file.mp3

will create file.mp3 out of file.wav, a vbr file that will hover around 192kbps

If you want I can create a small script for you to batch convert the files, if you can't add the -noreplaygain parameter in lamexp

-

about the generation loss ... i guess it depends on the source of the files. If the files were generated straight from CD or from flac files... those 320kbps could very well be actual content, which your ears would notice if you have quality speakers. FLAC files (lossless audio are in general about 550-800 kbps, so there is information in audio files that gets cut down even at 320kbps - there's no reason an encoder would just fill up those 320kbps with junk.
When you get it down to 192kbps, something will be lost. If you can live with it, that's fine.
mariush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 12:55   #622  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazeCJ View Post
So, thinking about this and looking up replay gain, this tag justs helps "normalize" the volume of the tracks in relation to each other and lameencoder does that for you and passes the info on in the tag??? (assuming)
The ReplayGain tag is just some "extra info" that is added to the MP3 file. It does not alter the audio data at all.

Quote:
More importantly just because the volume is different doesn't mean the quality of the file is worse than the original, just a lower volume. Right? (Of course other than the CBR to VBR re encode).
As said before, the human ear has a tendency the rate a "louder" file with better quality, even when the files would sound identical at the same volume.

Thus a quality comparison needs to be done at the same "loudness" for all files. Otherwise the results are pretty much meaningless...

Quote:
However I don't have volume normalization checked in LAME. Or did the original file have the tag on it with a loud bias and the re encode reverted it back to the original volume?
Adding the ReplayGain tag to the MP3 files does not apply any kind of volume normalization.

It just adds an additional info, which later can be used to apply "loudness adjustment" via ReplainGain. Though applying ReplainGain still is 100% optional!

Moreover, ReplainGain is a function of your playback software and you can disable it there, if you don't like it.

The ReplayGain tag is just a prerequisite for using ReplayGain at playback-time. It does not imply that ReplayGain will actually be used

Or in other words: Don't have a ReplayGain tag -> can't use ReplayGain. Have a ReplayGain tag -> may use ReplayGain (if desired) or may ignore the tag.

Now if you have ReplayGain enabled in your playback software and one file has the required tag while the other files does not, then only the first one file will be "adjusted".

Of course, as soon as you disable the ReplayGain function of your playback software, no file will ever get "adjusted" by ReplayGain...

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 19th March 2012 at 13:04.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 12:57   #623  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
If you want I can create a small script for you to batch convert the files, if you can't add the -noreplaygain parameter in lamexp
Yes you can add the -noreplaygain in LameXP.

Quote:
The few "power users" who really understand how ReplayGain works and who have a good reason to disable the generation of ReplayGain tags, can still add "--noreplaygain" to the custom LAME parameters.

The custom parameters box is intended exactly for this kind of exotic (rarely used) parameters.

Cheers
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 13:06   #624  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
Yes you can add the -noreplaygain in LameXP.
You can do that. But that's just a workaround to intentionally "break" the ReplayGain function of your playback software.

Instead, simply disable ReplayGain in your playback software, if you don't like it...
Old 19th March 2012, 19:53   #625  |  Link
KamikazeCJ

Thanks for clearing all that up Mulder and Mariush.
Does this Replay tag try to "preserve" the original sound by adding voulme and EQ info to playback because the encode has some loss or is it essentially a "loudness" button which I would presume the playback software would only need?

BTW my original loudness difference in pre encode and encoded songs was because "level playback volume" was checked in media monkey's settings. Oherwise files sound same from 320CBR to 265 VBR (plus the generation loss). That filesize went from 9.5m to 7.88 (about 1/5th). I think that's a good compromise for me.
Now I hope my car's music box accepts VBR files!....

oh one more thing... any thoughts when Lamexp will import cds. Blink 182 cd just had data files, etc. on it. And I just noticed cda doesn't work and you recommend exact audio copy. Is Itunes inferior at this. It seems so because if I remember, I couldn't get the proper import setting I wanted last try.

Last edited by KamikazeCJ; 19th March 2012 at 20:01.
KamikazeCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 19:57   #626  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Thanks for clearing all that up Mulder and Mariush.
Does this Replay tag try to "preserve" the original sound by adding voulme and EQ info to playback because the encode has some loss or is it essentially a "loudness" button which I would presume the playback software would only need?
The ReplayGain tag does not "do" anything. It's just an additional meta info ("Peak signal amplitude") that may be used for future processing. It's no different from an "id3" tag. The audio data itself is not altered at all.

If ReplayGain processing is enabled in your playback software and if the required ReplayGain tag is present in the audio file, then the loudness will be "adjusted" to 89 dB SPL (Sound Pressure Level).

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 19th March 2012 at 20:14.
Old 19th March 2012, 20:13   #627  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
oh one more thing... any thoughts when Lamexp will import cds. Blink 182 cd just had data files, etc. on it. And I just noticed cda doesn't work and you recommend exact audio copy. Is Itunes inferior at this. It seems so because if I remember, I couldn't get the proper import setting I wanted last try.
Audio CD's do not contain any files at all. They contain audio tracks, but no data track. So there is no file system and thus no files.

The ".cda" files you may find on an Audio CD in Windows Explorer are "dummy" files generated/emulated by Windows.

In order to "extract" the audio tracks from an Audio CD to Wave files, you will need to use some Ripping software. LameXP can' do that!

Accurately ripping Audio Tracks is not trivial to do and I don't want to re-invent the wheel. With EAC we have a very good and free solution.

If EAC could be controlled from the command-line, I could integrate it into LameXP. But, as far as I know, that's not supported by EAC

About iTunes: The only thing I can say is that personally I wouldn't infect my computer with a mess like iTunes or QuickTime...

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 19th March 2012 at 20:46.
Old 19th March 2012, 20:26   #628  |  Link
KamikazeCJ

I wasn't implying that replay was doing anything other than adding an info tag. Just wanted to know what it added for the playback to read. Apologies for not being clear. Either way your answer on loudness adjustment cleared it up.
Oh and I agree wholeheartedly with your itunes statement. Unfortunately, its all some people know (or have been brainwashed to know (i.e. wife, kids). I would like to get that "controlling" software off my computer but then they would be lost without the Ipad/Ipod syncing thing.
Old 19th March 2012, 21:31   #629  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
I wasn't implying that replay was doing anything other than adding an info tag. Just wanted to know what it added for the playback to read.
The "ReplainGain tag" actually is one field of the LAME header. You can find the exact specification here:
http://gabriel.mp3-tech.org/mp3infotag.html#replaygain
Old 21st March 2012, 17:47   #630  |  Link
KamikazeCJ

Now that I've tried EAC (Looks like a really good app), I have I would think would be a simple question but my searches are coming up with nothing. When I use the freedb to get the file properties, I can't figure out how to transfer it to my files (album, year, etc). Only the track name and artist are written. EAC's forum is a bit slow to respond so I was hoping one of you could give me an easy answer hear. Sorry if this post is off thread.

Oh And can EAC use your front end to the LAME encoder, Mulder? I used a wildcard (*) to get it to read LAMEXP.exe ove LAME.EXE. But it doesn't seen to work. Do I need to separately install LAME by itself?

Last edited by KamikazeCJ; 21st March 2012 at 17:59.
Old 21st March 2012, 18:59   #631  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Now that I've tried EAC (Looks like a really good app), I have I would think would be a simple question but my searches are coming up with nothing. When I use the freedb to get the file properties, I can't figure out how to transfer it to my files (album, year, etc). Only the track name and artist are written. EAC's forum is a bit slow to respond so I was hoping one of you could give me an easy answer hear. Sorry if this post is off thread.
If you let EAC rip the Audio CD as a Cue Sheet (see also second part of my post), then all meta info will be included in the Cue Sheet file.

And LameXP can import that info from the Cue Sheet later...

Quote:
Oh And can EAC use your front end to the LAME encoder, Mulder? I used a wildcard (*) to get it to read LAMEXP.exe ove LAME.EXE. But it doesn't seen to work. Do I need to separately install LAME by itself?
EAC cannot use LameXP.

You can extract the audio to individual Wave files with EAC and then convert these files with LameXP later.

Or you can extract the audio tracks as a single "big" Wave file + Cue Sheet and then import that Cue Sheet in LameXP - that's the preferred solution.

And of course you can make EAC use the LAME encoder to output MP3's directly. Then LameXP is not used/needed at all.
Old 21st March 2012, 19:30   #632  |  Link
KamikazeCJ

I just worked it all out then I read your message. But you confirmed things and cleared up the cue sheet. When I synced Lame.exe up to EAC there were more options regarding compression, etc and it transfered the info to the mp3s.
It shows integrity to hear the developer say LAMEXP may not be needed in this case. Its all working for me now thanks to your help. Of course I love your app and will be using it for all existing ripped files that need converting.
Old 22nd March 2012, 00:20   #633  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

LameXP v4.04 Beta-7:

Quote:
Changes between v4.03 and v4.04:
* Added support for the QAAC Encoder, requires QuickTime v7.7.1 or newer (see FAQ doc for details)
* Added Chinese and Taiwanese translations, thanks to 456Vv <123@456vv.com>
* Added experimental support for dcaenc, created by Alexander E. Patrakov <patrakov@gmail.com>
* Added CSV export/import for Meta tags (see context-menu on the "Source Files" tab)
* Updated Qt runtime libraries to v4.8.0 (2011-12-15), compiled with MSVC 10.0
* Updated LAME encoder to v3.99.5 Final (2012-02-28), compiled with ICL 12.1.7 and MSVC 10.0 (details)
* Updated MediaInfo to v0.7.54 (2012-03-13), compiled with ICL 12.1.7 and MSVC 10.0
* Updated SoX to to v14.4.0 (2012-03-04), compiled with ICL 12.1.7 and MSVC 10.0
* Updated mpg123 decoder to v1.13.6 (2011-03-11), compiled with GCC 4.6.1
* Updated Monkey's Audio binary to v4.11 (2011-04-20)
* Updated Musepack decoder to revision 475 (2011-08-10), compiled with ICL 12.1.6 and MSVC 10.0
* Updated GnuPG to v1.4.12, compiled with GCC 4.6.1
* Updated language files (big thank-you to all contributors !!!)
* Implemented coalescing of update signals to reduce the CPU usage of the LameXP process (details)
* Run more than four instances in parallel on systems with more than four CPU cores (details)
* Improved handling of different character encodings for Playlist and Cue Sheet import
* Improved LameXP inter-process communication by adding queue support
* Workaround for a bug that causes MediaInfo to not detect the duration of Wave files (64-Bit only)
* Prevent LameXP from blocking a system shutdown (encoding process is aborted, if necessary)
* Improved internal handling of MediaInfo output, including extraction of cover art
* Fixed a very rare "live-lock" situation in early initialization code

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 24th March 2012 at 22:39.
Old 24th March 2012, 22:39   #634  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

LameXP v4.04 Beta-8:

Quote:
* Added support for the QAAC Encoder, requires QuickTime v7.7.1 or newer (see FAQ doc for details)
* Added experimental support for dcaenc, created by Alexander E. Patrakov <patrakov@gmail.com>
* Added CSV export/import for Meta tags (see context-menu on the "Source Files" tab)
* Updated LAME encoder to v3.99.5 Final (2012-02-28), compiled with ICL 12.1.7 and MSVC 10.0 (details)
* Updated MediaInfo to v0.7.54 (2012-03-13), compiled with ICL 12.1.7 and MSVC 10.0
* Updated SoX to to v14.4.0 (2012-03-04), compiled with ICL 12.1.7 and MSVC 10.0
* Updated Musepack decoder to revision 475 (2011-08-10), compiled with ICL 12.1.6 and MSVC 10.0
* Implemented coalescing of update signals to reduce the CPU usage of the LameXP process (details)
* Run more than four instances in parallel on systems with more than four CPU cores (details)
* Improved handling of different character encodings for Playlist and Cue Sheet import
* Workaround for a bug that causes MediaInfo to not detect the duration of Wave files (64-Bit only)
* Prevent LameXP from blocking a system shutdown (encoding process is aborted, if necessary)
* Improved internal handling of MediaInfo output, including extraction of cover art

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 27th March 2012 at 23:10.
Old 24th March 2012, 23:06   #635  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
Just discovered the yellow message in the console output:
"Potential deadlock in initalization thread!"
This is on an old AMD Athlon XP mainly used for audio encoding.
Antivirus guard disabled.
Everything is working as expected, just a little curious.
And yes, I searched the thread and your FAQs (a little)
Okay, today I found another issue that may mistakenly trigger this warning (plus an additional waiting period!) under certain rare(?) circumstances.

Strangely enough, this never occurred on my native machine or in any of my VMware-based VM's. I noticed it in my VirtualPC-based VM ("Windows XP mode") though

Beta-8 contains a workaround for this specific problem. So in case this happened on your system, the warning should be gone and startup should be faster now.

(There still is a chance that the warning occurred legitimately on your system, in which case you will see no difference ^^)

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 24th March 2012 at 23:10.
Old 25th March 2012, 09:25   #636  |  Link
Taurus

Thank you, My Lord !
This does it.
No more yellow marks and LameXP is starting much faster.
Really appreciated
Taurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2012, 13:31   #637  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Good to know

Actually this is a nice example of race conditions:

Code:
:: Main thread ::

M01   connect(thread, SIGNAL(finished()), loop, SLOT(quit()), Qt::QueuedConnection);
M02   connect(timer, SIGNAL(timeout()), loop, SLOT(quit()));
M03   
M04   while(thread->isRunning())
M05   {
M06       loop->exec();
M07       if(thread->isRunning())
M08       {
M09           qWarning("Potential deadlock in initialization thread!");
M10       }
M11   }

:: Worker thread ::

T01   DoActualWork();
T02
T03   [...]
T04
T05   emit thr->finished();
T06   
T07   [...]
T08   
T09   d->running = false;
T10   d->finished = true;
While the 'main' thread is waiting for the 'worker' thread to finish its job, it will be hanging in the Event Loop at M06.
Now it can happen that T05 gets executed in the 'worker' thread and then control switches to the 'main' thread immediately, i.e. T09 and T10 have not executed yet!
Consequently we will exit from M06, as the 'finished' signal just has been emitted - and that signal is connected to the 'quit' slot of the event loop.
However in M07 and M04 the "thread->isRunning()" expression will still evaluate to TRUE. That is because T09 and T10 have not "updated" the corresponding status flags yet
As the result, we will enter the wait loop once more! And, as the thread is not running anymore, only the "timeout" will eventually help us the exit from the event loop...

(Note that the "Worker thread" code listed above is from the Qt Framework, so I cannot change that portion!)

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 25th March 2012 at 13:47.
Old 26th March 2012, 01:33   #638  |  Link
SirKiwi

I know it's been mentioned a few times in this thread, but I would love to see an "overwrite original file" option.

Also, I would love to see a way to input an output directory in plain text (i.e. typing out the directory or copy/pasting a directory path) instead of using the tree pane with the mouse.

Other than that, I love how the software runs instances in parallel for multiples encodes. Great job!
SirKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 15:07   #639  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirKiwi View Post
I know it's been mentioned a few times in this thread, but I would love to see an "overwrite original file" option.
I still don't like the idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirKiwi View Post
Also, I would love to see a way to input an output directory in plain text (i.e. typing out the directory or copy/pasting a directory path) instead of using the tree pane with the mouse.
There is no "input" directory, as the input/source files may be located in various directories. Also I cannot change the "File Open" dialog, as it's a system dialog.

It may be possible to add an editbox for the "output" directory though. Will have to figure out a way to integrate this into the GUI...
Old 27th March 2012, 23:09   #640  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

LameXP v4.04 Beta-10:

Quote:
* Added a button to modify the current output folder path in an edit box

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 30th March 2012 at 23:25.

Tags
aac, aotuv, flac, lame, lamexp, mp3, mp4, ogg, oggenc, opus, vorbis