Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 14th June 2018, 21:01   #81  |  Link
WorBry

Yes, that hits a nice balance. I got a bit preoccupied trying to get a browner tone to the coloration on the shell, but at that depth it's probably more how you've got it...you were there after all. I could swing it more to that tone, and had it there at one point in my tweakings, but agree, I think we're done with "toupe turtle".

Would you mind uploading the Vdub project for that one also - I'd like to see how you got there - presumably all color balancing done with the '6-axis corrector' ?

I am looking at the other clips btw and will post some results when I'm happy with them, again with a view to replicating whatever I can come up with in Resolve using VDub and hopefully AVISynth, ideally avoiding the need for qualifier masks and the like.

@Tormento, if you are still looking in, hope you are trying some of these techniques. I could post the channel mixes I used, but really there's no substitute for getting in there and pushing the colors around. As one Colorist famously said "I just bang the knobs until it doesn't suck anymore".

Edit: btw Shekh, would I be right in concluding that the Trigger Fish in the two clips have different colorations. The one in GOPR0304 definitely matches with a 'Titan' Trigger Fish':

https://previews.123rf.com/images/vi...in-red-sea.jpg

On the other fish (in G0PR1596) the patch above the mouth appears more yellow, the patch under the mouth looks paler (whitish) and the tail stripe is tan colored, not orange. The matrix pattern on body of the GOPR0304 fish also has a deeper yellowish/green (iridescent) tone to it.

Seems unlikely that it's just the way the light affects the colours and how they appear after correction. Just don't want to beat myself up trying to get them to match when they are different fish.

Last edited by WorBry; 15th June 2018 at 07:47.
WorBry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2018, 11:43   #82  |  Link
shekh

https://gist.github.com/shekh/bfa7d5...70-1-vdproject
In this setup I used a new plugin (hqdn3d), currently you can get it here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/vdf...d/version%201/
(Btw how does hqdn3d compare to smdegrain?)

The fish: can't tell really. I think same species.
Old 16th June 2018, 05:00   #83  |  Link
WorBry

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekh View Post
Btw how does hqdn3d compare to smdegrain?
I haven't used hqdn3d for years, but at one point it was my routine denoiser for cleaning up DV video. Great to have it available for VDub2.

As for the Trigger Fish. Here are my Resolve corrected results. Again, just channel mixer, levels, contrast, mid-tone detail and a little sharpening.

Clip GOPR1596:

Original:

Corrected:

Pre-denoised and corrected:

Clip GOPR0304:

Original:

Corrected:

Pre-denoised and corrected:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekh View Post
The fish: can't tell really. I think same species.
See what I mean about the difference in coloration though?

I've seen some images of 'Titan' Trigger Fish where the coloration is more like the one in GOPR1596 where the stripe on the tail is

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e1/4c...67b27bfc44.jpg

So maybe it's just the way the light picks-up/accentuates the colors, or maybe there are variants within that species with different degrees of pigmentation. I'm pretty confident though that both corrected clips are balanced to neutral or close to it. There's no way I could shift the balance to get the colors of one of the fish closer to the other without throwing the global balance out of whack. Maybe possible using multiple qualifier masks but that's somewhat artificial.

I'll see how well I can replicate those results with VDub2.

Last edited by WorBry; 21st June 2018 at 16:24.
Old 16th June 2018, 09:44   #84  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Sirs... your efforts are great but we are going slightly off topic.

The original question was a hopefully automatic way to recover red missing video files with AVISYNTH

Can I lead your great work to something we can replicate in that environment? GamMac and FredAverage, perhaps?
Old 16th June 2018, 10:52   #85  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tormento View Post
something we can replicate in that environment? GamMac and FredAverage, perhaps?
I would not expect GamMac to be able to ever do anything for your supplied clips.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2018, 00:36   #86  |  Link
shekh

tormento,
Asymptotically I'm interested in the automated process and this discussion helps to understand what transforms are required to get some decent result (whether automated or not).
Also it helps to know how to solve the problem manually, because it gives some reference to compare with.
Old 17th June 2018, 15:17   #87  |  Link
shekh

Split thread: https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=175536
shekh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2018, 01:57   #88  |  Link
WorBry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tormento View Post
The original question was a hopefully automatic way to recover red missing video files with AVISYNTH
By way of closure on my part - here's a go at correcting your sample video manually with AVISynth using only Channel Mixer for the color balancing.

I deliberated whether to apply the levels/contrast adjustments in RGB space or after conversion back to YV12. I opted for RGB using RGBAdapt which offers centre-relative contrast.

Code:
DGSource("{Path}\2018_0525_135958_020.dgi",fieldop=0)
#Denoise:
SMDegrain(tr=1, thSAD=400, truemotion=false, contrasharp=true)
ConvertToRGB(matrix="rec709", interlaced=false)
#Correct color balance:
ChannelMixer(RR=97.5, RG=129.2, RB=-21.5, 
\                   GR=23.0, GG=102.0, GB=0.0,
\                   BR=113.0, BG=-13.8, BB=82.0)
#Levels & contrast adjustment:
RGBADapt(R_Cont=1.1,G_Cont=1.1,B_Cont=1.1,
\       R_Bias=15.0,G_Bias=15.0,B_Bias=15.0,
\       R_Gain=1.1,G_Gain=1.1,B_Gain=1.1)
ConvertToYV12(matrix="rec709")
#Sharpen with filter of choice:
LSFMod(smode=3,strength=200)

I don't think I can bring anything else to the table in this context, other than more examples of the same.
Cheers.

Edit: BTW, in that correction I did with Resolve I used a qualifier to treat some vibrant magenta that was coming through on the edges of the anemone and diver outline also:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorBry View Post

Edit: Noticed feint magenta tinge to the blues after posting. This one, a bit less:

….opted for reconstructing the red channel (as best) with the RGB Channel mixer. Then just one qualifier to deal with some vibrant magenta coloration on the tips/edges of the anemone tentacles that stood out....
Realized subsequently that that can be treated with a little positive shift in the G-R sub-channel.

Last edited by WorBry; 19th June 2018 at 16:03.
Old 20th June 2018, 11:44   #89  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorBry View Post
I don't think I can bring anything else to the table in this context, other than more examples of the same.
Thanks for your and everybody invaluable contributions to a niche area.

To complete discussion: is there any avisynth filter that can render optical filter output? I mean: red shallow water, red deep water, magenta green ones etc.