Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Closed Thread

Old 24th June 2018, 11:24   #5221  |  Link
Midzuki
Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
Does that happen with TrueHD files produced by MKVToolNix as well?
I don't have any sample files with TrueHD audio, so I don't know.

Given that MPlayer (a.k.a. «the real thing») just plays that .MKA file without a complaint, I assume the mpv developers don't know very-well what they're doing
Old 24th June 2018, 12:56   #5222  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

I'm asking about TrueHD as TrueHD and MLP are very similar. Both are two of the few audio codecs (RealAudio being another one) where you cannot start decoding from any packet. Therefore mkvmerge flags only those frames decoding can start from as key frames. Maybe mpv expects that all audio frames are marked as key frames — but that's just conjecture, of course, I don't know mpv's source code.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Old 24th June 2018, 13:26   #5223  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Unlike Dolby TrueHD audio streams on Blu-ray discs, DVD-Audio discs are essentially PCM streams packed into the .mlp container.

Personally I don't see any benefit of keeping a PCM audio stream within the .mlp container and containing it again within the .mka container. Which is why I've backed up all my DVD-A's to flac.

Sufficed to say, flac can be muxed into the .mka container and the files are smaller than the original .mlp contained files...
Old 24th June 2018, 13:36   #5224  |  Link
Midzuki
Unavailable

^ Okay, I found and tested a TrueHD MKA file. Just for the notes, MediaInfo says

Code:
Track name           : Final Fantasy Advent Children Complete (2009)
Encoded date         : UTC 2011-07-05 20:41:36
Writing application  : mkvmerge v4.6.0 ('Still Crazy After All These Years') built on Apr  1 2011 21:01:49
Writing library      : libebml v1.2.0 + libmatroska v1.1.0
This time mpv didn't display any stupid /misleading message:

Code:
=> mpv TrueHD-Sample.mka
Playing: TrueHD-Sample.mka
 (+) Audio --aid=1 (*) (truehd 6ch 48000Hz)
File tags:
 Title: Final Fantasy Advent Children Complete (2009)
AO: [wasapi] 48000Hz 5.1(side) 6ch s32
So the problem really is in mpv itself, not in MKVmerge (or in FFmpeg). Before I reported that issue, mpv already dealed with containerless .MLP streams, it simply didn't know what to do with MLP audio in a Matroska container.

I was going to tell the mpv people to take a look at our latest comments in this thread, but the admin of mpv's Github locked the issue I filed because it became "too hot"
Old 24th June 2018, 13:39   #5225  |  Link
Midzuki
Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Unlike Dolby TrueHD audio streams on Blu-ray discs, DVD-Audio discs are essentially PCM streams packed into the .mlp container.

Personally I don't see any benefit of keeping a PCM audio stream within the .mlp container and containing it again within the .mka container. Which is why I've backed up all my DVD-A's to flac.

Sufficed to say, flac can be muxed into the .mka container and the files are smaller than the original .mlp contained files...
You missed the whole point. I should send you to my IgnoreList (again), but I won't. Not yet, at least =)

P.S.: MLP is not a container for uncompressed audio. PCM is not the same as PPCM.

Last edited by Midzuki; 24th June 2018 at 13:42. Reason: clarity
Old 24th June 2018, 14:02   #5226  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

I just don't see the benefit of placing mlp compressed PCM streams within the .mka container!
Old 24th June 2018, 14:07   #5227  |  Link
mkver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midzuki View Post
So the problem really is in mpv itself, not in MKVmerge (or in FFmpeg).
Strange. In my experience ffmpeg wants all audio packets to be flagged as keyframes. When I play a Matroska file created by mkvmerge with video and TrueHD audio and seek in the input file (e.g. ffmpeg -ss 10 -i <mkv file created by mkvmerge> ...) I usually get a "File is broken, keyframes not correctly marked!" error. Given that the index is for the video, the first audio packet received after the seek is probably a non-keyframe. Strangely this doesn't happen without a video track although mkvmerge does not take the keyframe flag into account for creating the cues for files without video track. (Btw: It also doesn't take the clustering into account in this case.)
Old 26th June 2018, 11:02   #5228  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkver View Post
"File is broken, keyframes not correctly marked!"
This looks like a bug in ffmpeg to me. libavformat/matroskadec. seems to assume that the first non-subtitle ( = audio or video) block after a seek-to-keyframe operation must be a key frame. The situation with MLP & TrueHD is, though, that ffmpeg might try to seek to a video key frame and find an audio block first — and that audio block isn't a key frame because it doesn't contain an MLP/TrueHD sync frame.

Old 29th June 2018, 15:43   #5229  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
I just don't see the benefit of placing mlp compressed PCM streams within the .mka container!
Why would you put anything in an mka container? Seeking, standardized tags, chaptering... there are a lot of potential reasons.

MLP is virtually identical to FLAC from a high-level technical standpoint, although it's obviously implemented to suit the constraints of fixed rotational speeds and buffer sizes, as well as often being fixed-bitrate (meaning just stripping padding and re-packetizing it would win you a lot, as well as changing every frame to a keyframe). Plus MLP has no standardized tags or seek tables, so why wouldn't you place it in a container that does?
Old 29th June 2018, 19:43   #5230  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

In today's world (ppcm) mlp is pointless, in or out the .mka container!

Flac offers tagging and image art and far greater software and hardware playback device support.

Sadly I'm yet to find a hardware playback device that supports .mka chapter navigation. Which is why I'm still creating .cue files...
Old 29th June 2018, 23:18   #5231  |  Link
LeMoi

I think title of the topic should be changed to meet latest version
Old 29th June 2018, 23:34   #5232  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMoi View Post
I think title of the topic should be changed to meet latest version
please read here
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=175541
Old 30th June 2018, 00:02   #5233  |  Link
LeMoi

Thanks for the info, didn't notice, hope mods can do something
Old 30th June 2018, 05:18   #5234  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Excellent point, done. I'd normally suggest reporting posts when mod action is needed, except avih hasn't been around in a while and Koepi hasn't been around since Longcat was a fresh meme. I should petition to get myself added as a mod on more of the abandoned fora.
Old 30th June 2018, 10:50   #5235  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis View Post
Excellent point, done. I'd normally suggest reporting posts when mod action is needed, except avih hasn't been around in a while and Koepi hasn't been around since Longcat was a fresh meme. I should petition to get myself added as a mod on more of the abandoned fora.
Sadly, quite a few moderators are MIA
Old 3rd July 2018, 17:52   #5236  |  Link
Masutin

An issue with splitting. To cut the same duration, counting from the end, at the end of files of different lengths, is there a way to specify a duration (not a timestamp) FROM the end of a file? If not for mkvmerge, for FFmpeg if appropriate.
Old 3rd July 2018, 18:25   #5237  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Not for mkvmerge, as the file's duration is generally only only after it has been fully muxed.

Old 6th July 2018, 13:44   #5238  |  Link
Perenista

Is there a way to turn a video 90 degrees clockwise with MKVToolnix? Or I need to use another software like Sony Vegas and reencode?
Old 6th July 2018, 13:48   #5239  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perenista View Post
Is there a way to turn a video 90 degrees clockwise with MKVToolnix? Or I need to use another software like Sony Vegas and reencode?
MKVToolNix cannot do this. It's not a video editor/encoder. Additionally there are no provisions for filters/modifications/projections upon display in Matroska either.

Old 6th July 2018, 15:22   #5240  |  Link
Perenista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
MKVToolNix cannot do this. It's not a video editor/encoder. Additionally there are no provisions for filters/modifications/projections upon display in Matroska either.
Hum, what do you mean?

For example, if I wanted to change the display aspect ratio in MKVToolnix I could do that easily. Some videos have a wrong AR, and I usually adjust them by configuring the AR to 4:3, or even 16:9, depending on the case.

Sometimes I use MakeMKV and the extra features are in 3:2 for some odd reason (it only happens with certain discs). Then I use that option to correct the MKV files.

I assumed that since this sort of modification is possible (while mantaining the contents in lossless) I could easily turn the video 90 degrees clockwise without any unnecessary reencode.

The issue with my video is that I recorded using an iPAD Pro 10.5 while not using landscape/portrait properly. So the video looks like this now:

https://imgur.com/a/SkBt9ZZ

Another reason for me to not want to resort to reencode is that I have multiple videos from the iPAD, and once ONE is reencoded you have to do the same for all others, since it's not possible to combine them by using MKVToolnix anymore *.

* At least I don't think this can be done, I remember seeing "the streams don't match" warnings in the past.

I assumed "90 degrees clockwise" was just another random command given to the Matroska just like "change the AR to 4:3, 16:9 or 1.85:1), and the player would only interpret it to adjust accordingly.

Do you guys follow my line of reasoning...?
Closed Thread