Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > VirtualDub, VDubMod & AviDemux

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 3rd November 2020, 14:50   #1  |  Link
Troc

Regarding my restoration of Cutie Honey (1973)

Hello, first post and already pretty complicated. I however did search around and found fragments, not a specific discussion on this.
I'm a huge fan of Cutie Honey (1973), so I bought the DVD boxset. Being from the 70s, it has many issues which I want to fix with Virtualdub, since that's what I'm comfortable with. I think it was shot into film from the original source, which introduces all sorts of problems. So far, I'm using methods that might be suboptimal and some I cannot figure out correctly. Here we go:

- There's noise, which is a result of imperfect capture.
I use Neatvideo, which makes some really impressive results. It however does struggle a bit with digital artifacts and cannot remove some deeper film scratches/hairs.
- There's slightly warped duplicate frames, which again is a result of the film camera.
I tried MPDecimate with FFMPEG, but it didn't work for most duplicates, since in most of them, a small element or area sort of bubbles out, making the frame not identical, even though I can tell that it is the same frame. Removing the slightly altered duplicate frames manually would be horrendously slow. Do you have a solution?
- The frame shakes, which is a result of the film camera and the animation not being in perfect sync.
I tried using Deshaker, but I ran into problems where there either was extra black area (no inpainting?) or the frame was zoomed in with extra digital movement. I would like to have it work, since this is somewhat annoying.
The colors are washed out and yellowed.
I have altered saturation, value and hue and also tried to alter the white balance. However, it appears that some shots have different values and a static change makes them look weird when the rest of the shots look good. Do I need to separate those shots and alter them individually and later add together again?
- There's some background noise in the audio.
I would like to clean the audio up a bit. I cannot use the lossless audio from original files in Audacity since it doesn't have a library or something and I couldn't get it to work. If Virtualdub can do audio, what filter/settings should I use?

I could post a Mega or Gofile link to unaltered parts of the show, if it helps with your assessments.

So far, I can make the show much more visually pleasing. I know that I could make it even better, but my knowledge is limited and I learn best with interaction.
Troc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anime, cutie honey, restoration, virtualdub2