Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Closed Thread

Old 11th May 2015, 16:03   #3241  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Actually I did it that way at first, but that totally destroyed keyboard navigation in the tree. The latter is a complaint that has been raised against the old GUI as well; therefore I decided not to auto-set the focus.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Old 11th May 2015, 17:07   #3242  |  Link
ndjamena

Not set the focus to the chapter name field, I mean automatically select a chapter name from the list, rather than having the Name/Language/Country greyed out (nothing selected).
Old 11th May 2015, 17:10   #3243  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Ah, sorry. I misunderstood. I'll do something about that, but not right now (let's say within two releases).

Old 11th May 2015, 17:30   #3244  |  Link
ndjamena

OK then, I can't use it like this, so I'll switch back to MMG for now.

-edit- cool, keyboard navigation works now!

Last edited by ndjamena; 11th May 2015 at 17:57.
Old 11th May 2015, 19:41   #3245  |  Link
qyot27
...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
So, what exactly caused the XP incompatibility? Some library update or just a simple compiler switch? Esp. if it's the latter it could be useful for people looking into building their own XP-compatible binaries.

(Disclaimer: I don't use anything older than Win 7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
I don't know. Figuring that out is part of the cost of that »support for Windows XP« thingy.
Since it's what the error message complains about, it's more than likely the use of RegGetValueA in src/common/fs_sys_helpers/windows.cpp @ line 146. That function is Vista+ (or seemingly 2k3+).

Supporting XP in that instance would mean using a different registry querying function. RegQueryValueEx, as the answers on SO point to, but I doubt the actual parameters taken by RegQueryValueEx vs. RegGetValue are the same, so it'd require special-casing to support both (or simply an option to disable registry support at configure time so it doesn't build that part at all - which might make some degree of sense for portable builds, regardless of any OS version squabbling).

I haven't tried doing this in several years, but Wine could be used to patch over XP itself to avert this. Wine can run 7.9.0 seemingly without problems*, since it implements support for higher versions of the Windows program APIs (if the OS itself was stable enough, it'd probably work swimmingly in ReactOS as it has a symbiotic relationship with Wine for program support while currently targeting NT kernel version 5.2). You just have to cross-compile Wine's DLLs under MinGW-w64 so that it routes the calls into win32. It could probably also be done under MSys2 or Cygwin.

*obviously, I'd normally just use the native build instead if I'm logged in under Ubuntu, but not everyone wants to switch their XP machines to Linux.

I had to resort to doing this in 2011 for a game that kept crashing using the Microsoft DirectX runtime. After I got Wine's d3dx9_43.dll built I dropped it into the game's directory, and everything was peachy. Since Windows prioritizes DLLs in a program's home directory, it'll use those before it tries the ones from the system. So if a cross-compiled copy of Wine's ADVAPI32.dll were in there, it'd more than likely work as-is without specific XP support. Provided that ADVAPI32.dll itself doesn't require more of the Wine DLL ecosystem.

EDIT: after testing a cross-compiled Wine (1.7.42-137-g6d323d8), that trick won't work atm. Windows is either smart enough to not load *those* particular .dlls from the application directory, or we're going to need a much more complete WineOnWindows environment (read: wine.exe itself, which the limited cross-compiling support in Wine can't do yet) to be able to do anything regarding that. But really, going to that much trouble generally isn't worth it when you can run an up-to-date version of [insert Linux distro name here] on the same machine and use the native build of MKVToolNix just fine. For ancient setups like mine, that's pretty much the only thing you can do short of just staying back at 7.8.0. The jury's still out on ReactOS since right now I don't have access to the VM I normally use, but ROS is still not anywhere close to stable for daily use.

Last edited by qyot27; 12th May 2015 at 20:58.
Old 11th May 2015, 20:12   #3246  |  Link
filler56789
SuperVirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by qyot27 View Post
Since it's what the error message complains about, it's more than likely the use of RegGetValueA in src/common/fs_sys_helpers/windows.cpp @ line 146. That function is Vista+ (or seemingly 2k3+).
Already available in "Windows XP Professional x64 Edition", according to that same page.
Old 11th May 2015, 20:43   #3247  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndjamena View Post
Not set the focus to the chapter name field, I mean automatically select a chapter name from the list, rather than having the Name/Language/Country greyed out (nothing selected).
I've implemented something along these lines in pre-build 729. Is this what you had in mind?

Old 11th May 2015, 22:08   #3248  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Folks please. This is not a thread about a general discussion between the pros and cons of various Windows versions. A couple of points have been made. Please let's leave it at that and return to the thread's intended topic: MKVToolNix.
Just a post to answer some questions asked of me then I'll leave it at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burfadel View Post
Why should Microsoft continue supporting an OS from 2001? It seems counter-intuitive insisting on having the latest MKV tools if you are still running at ancient OS (it is ancient).
I never said they should. I simply said I don't see any direct relationship between the version of Windows software should run on and whether that version is still supported by Microsoft. The "old OS" argument breaks down for me when you compare it to a "number of users" argument which at the moment still includes something like 15% of PC users, while supporting OSs with a combined market share of something like 3%. If you could show me stats along the lines of "98% of people downloading converting/muxing software run Win7 or newer", then that'd possibly be a different story.

I'm not insisting on anything, but I'd like a warning if a new version won't run on a particular flavour of Windows so I know not to upgrade, find it won't run, post in the mkvtoolnix forum about the problem thinking I'm contributing to bug fixing in a small way, only to be told to &%$ off and upgrade Windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burfadel View Post
Also, how do you know you don't have any malicious software on your computer if you don't have any means of knowing it is there?
Once every year or so I install antivirus software and run a full scan. Just to see what it'll find. Then I restore the previous year's Windows and programs image, update everything and make a new image. I've been doing that for years and the scans have never found anything worse than a few naughty cookies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
Are you seriously saying you want to upgrade from the old WinXP to the new WinXP (Win7 == new WinXP)?
Maybe I'd be happy if Win XP had been like Windows 10. Free to use and perpetually upgrade, or however it'll work.
I'll possibly upgrade to Win7 initially because I have a legit copy that was given to me that's never been used and there's no XP drivers for the MB I want. I've not looked closely at Win10 yet.

Last edited by hello_hello; 11th May 2015 at 22:35.
Old 11th May 2015, 22:52   #3249  |  Link
qyot27
...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by filler56789 View Post
Already available in "Windows XP Professional x64 Edition", according to that same page.
64-bit XP Pro is not the same OS as 32-bit XP. The 64-bit edition is derived from 2k3 (so I did technically include it in that 2k3+ addendum). Most XP users aren't using the 64-bit edition, though.
Old 12th May 2015, 05:51   #3250  |  Link
Chetwood

Quote:
All you have to do is execute mkvtoolnix-gui.exe instead of mmg.exe (start menu entry »MKVToolNix GUI«).
Thanks. Being a windows user I skipped over any and all mentions of the command-line as usual

I also think, XP is over, also because M$ offered Win 8 licenses for only 30 € for a while.

MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink
: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Übersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
Old 12th May 2015, 11:20   #3251  |  Link
Helios61

Thanks Mosu for your effort with MKVToolnix. One thing i am missing within the new GUI: Is ist possible to add the UP and Down buttons in one of the next releases?
Old 12th May 2015, 11:29   #3252  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

I won't add such buttons as you can re-order tracks & files via drag & drop.

Old 13th May 2015, 07:41   #3253  |  Link
manolito

@ Mosu

Quote:
Windows

The current version v7.9.0 is available as an installer and as a portable 7zip archive from fosshub.com. Supported Windows versions are XP and newer from the client OS line and Windows Server 2008 and later from the server line.

Could you please update your website and also mention that version 7.8.0 is the last one which works under XP...

@ qyot27

Thanks a lot for testing it with a cross-compiled Wine DLL. I also extracted the ADVAPI32.dll from the latest ReactOS and copied it into the MKVToolnix root folder, but no luck...

Cheers
manolito
Old 13th May 2015, 07:51   #3254  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

manolito: good point. Done.

Old 13th May 2015, 20:05   #3255  |  Link
qyot27
...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
@ qyot27

Thanks a lot for testing it with a cross-compiled Wine DLL. I also extracted the ADVAPI32.dll from the latest ReactOS and copied it into the MKVToolnix root folder, but no luck...
Also, as I'd predicted before, even ReactOS 0.3.17 from last November can run 7.9.0's binaries* (I did manage to get to the VM), but also like I said, the OS itself is not really in any state to seriously use right now. It will [eventually] be the optimal OS upgrade path for old XP machines that can't run Win7, but it still needs to be able to boot on the real hardware, which I've had mixed or zero results with thus far.

*the installer fails; use the 7z package or extract the binaries from the installer with 7zip
Old 13th May 2015, 23:47   #3256  |  Link
filler56789
SuperVirus

The situation is even more complicated than I thought...

after hexediting mkvmerge.exe for calling advapi48.dll, and after placing the Vista advapi32.dll in the same folder as mkvmerge, and after renaming the DLL accordingly,
I got a different error message

Code:
The procedure entry point EtwNotificationUnregister could not be located in the dynamic link library ntdll.dll

UPDATE:
After editing three more DLLs — kernel32, ntdll and rpcrt4 — ,
now the result is:
"the application failed to initialize properly (0xc00000fd)"

so there is no workaround, someone would have to fix the source-code itself.

Last edited by filler56789; 14th May 2015 at 16:08.
Old 14th May 2015, 04:51   #3257  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
I'll possibly upgrade to Win7 initially because I have a legit copy that was given to me that's never been used and there's no XP drivers for the MB I want. I've not looked closely at Win10 yet.
Take it to 10 from 7, you'll have a year to do it. I can't think of any reason why someone would want to stay on 7. I believe 10 is superior in just about every aspect.
Old 16th May 2015, 00:33   #3258  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Take it to 10 from 7, you'll have a year to do it. I can't think of any reason why someone would want to stay on 7. I believe 10 is superior in just about every aspect.
I discovered something the other day I didn't know before.
Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for software pirates, too.

It looks like Microsoft want to move everyone to Win10 one way or another. No doubt so they can fleece everybody hard eventually, but in the meantime it's changed my thinking a bit. I might become a temporary software pirate and upgrade every PC here that can run it to Win10. Unless I can find a way to go straight from XP to 10 without a lot of unnecessary messing around in between, but I'm downloading a preview of Win10 now to take it for a test drive. It looks like I might be (mostly) saying goodbye to XP after-all.

Now if only software authors would continue to support XP till the next (hopefully) usable version of Windows arrives.
Old 16th May 2015, 02:40   #3259  |  Link
stax76

I'm not sure about pirates but I heard Windows Insiders testing Win10 will get it free.
Old 16th May 2015, 08:24   #3260  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Again, folks, this is not a thread about Windows. Please stay at least somewhat on topic. Thanks.

Closed Thread