Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 10th August 2018, 12:14   #5541  |  Link
Klaus1189

It's perfect
Klaus1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2018, 13:33   #5542  |  Link
Manni

Hi everyone,

Not sure if I should post this here or in LAV thread, so please tell me if it should be moved. I'm using MPC-BE with internal subs renderer, LAV and MadVR, as per sig below.

I have an issue with forced subtitles when playing UHD Blurays rips.

When I play an original disc in my UHD Bluray player (a Panasonic UB900), say Black Panther, the forced subtitles are automatically shown whenever characters are not speaking in English.

If I rip my original disc with AnyDVD HD as a folder, when I play it MPC-BE / LAV select the main movie correctly, but the forced subtitled aren't played. If I select the English track, then all the dialogue is subtitled, instead of only when the characters speak in English. Selecting "Forced Subtitles" in LAV Splitter doesn't help, as it never displays any subtitles.

If I rip my original disc with MakeMKV, I have the same behaviour if I don't select the "forced sub tracks" during ripping. If I do select the forced subs tracks, then I can get forced subs only, but I have to select the correct track manually, unless I remix the mkv with the forced sub track set as forced, which is what I'm doing at the moment. It's not always easy to identify the right track and it's of course time consuming.

Even if it takes a bit more space, I would also prefer to rip my discs as folders because mkvs don't save the Dolby Vision information. Folders is also easier/faster for TV Series and extras if using a player that supports BD Menus (such as a Dune player) for that type of content.

Is there a way to get the same result as what I get automatically with my standalone UHB Bluray player (only forced subs to be played when characters don't speak in English), without having to manually remux the mkv (and lose the Dolby Vision info)?

Thanks!
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K

Last edited by Manni; 10th August 2018 at 13:35.
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2018, 15:36   #5543  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Without the menu there is no way to know which track is supposed to be used for forced subtitles. If the default choice doesn't work, you have to pick the right track manually.
Old 10th August 2018, 19:43   #5544  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Without the menu there is no way to know which track is supposed to be used for forced subtitles. If the default choice doesn't work, you have to pick the right track manually.
Thanks. What I don't understand is how MakeMKV can extract the forced subs and create a special track with only forced subs (then doesn't mark that track as forced to make sure it plays by default, but that's a question for Mike).

If there is a way to create a forced subs only track without the menu (as makemkv doesn't have access to the menu either), how come it's not possible to play it by default?

That's what I don't understand.

Last edited by Manni; 10th August 2018 at 20:00.
Old 10th August 2018, 20:02   #5545  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Its possible to create it, its just not possible to know which track to create it from. MakeMKV also doesn't tell you that, you have to manually select the track you want - or just process all the tracks, and MakeMKV deletes those afterwards that turned up empty.
Old 10th August 2018, 20:20   #5546  |  Link
mv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksoid1978 View Post
MPC-BE don't prevent screensaver when playback is paused. Maybe it's madVR.
False alarm - rechecked and it is actually Kodi who is preventing screensaver from starting!

Another, possible lame, question. Is it possible to disable/hide mouse cursor when player is starting in fullscreen mode? Each time video is started there is a short moment when mouse pointer blinks in the center of the screen.
mv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2018, 20:29   #5547  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Its possible to create it, its just not possible to know which track to create it from. MakeMKV also doesn't tell you that, you have to manually select the track you want - or just process all the tracks, and MakeMKV deletes those afterwards that turned up empty.
OK, I get it now, thanks. So remuxing after a first makemkv pass and setting the non empty one to forced is the only way to get the correct forced subs track to play.
Old 10th August 2018, 20:53   #5548  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

I think it should set force tracks to forced anyway? You can also set the stream flags during the initial rip with MakeMKV for every stream separately.
Also in MKV you don't need to remux to change stream flags, you can just edit those in the header.
Old 10th August 2018, 21:28   #5549  |  Link
Klaus1189

Quote:
Originally Posted by mv View Post
False alarm - rechecked and it is actually Kodi who is preventing screensaver from starting!

Another, possible lame, question. Is it possible to disable/hide mouse cursor when player is starting in fullscreen mode? Each time video is started there is a short moment when mouse pointer blinks in the center of the screen.
Assuming you are using Kodi and MPC-BE as external player, simply don‘t use/move mouse, only use keyboard, which will prevent mouse Pointer to show up. If you move mouse it will show up again. Just try it: 1.) Play a file. 2.) Press ALT + X and play another file without moving the mouse, then the pointer won‘t show up.
Old 10th August 2018, 22:40   #5550  |  Link
mv

@Klaus1189
I'm using only IR remote which emulates keyboard but sometimes I connect with remote desktop and after I do that cursor keeps appearing in the center of the screen for a short but noticeable moment. Taking into account that I don't reboot HTPC often and use sleep mode it means that cursor shows up almost always. Not a big problem of course but somehow annoying.
mv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2018, 23:16   #5551  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
I think it should set force tracks to forced anyway? You can also set the stream flags during the initial rip with MakeMKV for every stream separately.
Also in MKV you don't need to remux to change stream flags, you can just edit those in the header.
Thanks a lot, I'll dig further into this. As far as I can see, makemkv doesn't set the forced tracks to forced, but it might be because I select more than one: I rip English and French audio (or whichever is the original soundtrack) and English and French sub tracks. Getting OT (my fault) so better leave it there. Thanks again.
Old 11th August 2018, 16:37   #5552  |  Link
P.J
Δ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksoid1978 View Post
Upload problem DVD.
Please check PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0lt View Post
IMHO, here are a few different methods of deinterlacing. Artifacts are present on both screenshots.
But I see only in the DVD mode.
P.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2018, 18:57   #5553  |  Link
73ChargerFan

I use MPC-BE on perhaps 6 computers in the house, and they run different versions.

With build 2755 in windowed mode, the "Full Screen" action appears on the left-click menu just below "Stop". Then in full screen mode, the same menu is called, with "Full Screen" in the same location, so I can switch between windowed and full screen easily.

Build 3788 in windowed mode, the "Full Screen" action is in the same location.
But in full screen mode, there's a new, different menu, and "Full Screen" is near the bottom of the View sub-menu. This is an HTPC, so there isn't a keyboard, and switching between windowed and full screen is more difficult.

Can it be moved back? Thanks.
73ChargerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2018, 20:01   #5554  |  Link
Klaus1189

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ChargerFan View Post
I use MPC-BE on perhaps 6 computers in the house, and they run different versions.

With build 2755 in windowed mode, the "Full Screen" action appears on the left-click menu just below "Stop". Then in full screen mode, the same menu is called, with "Full Screen" in the same location, so I can switch between windowed and full screen easily.

Build 3788 in windowed mode, the "Full Screen" action is in the same location.
But in full screen mode, there's a new, different menu, and "Full Screen" is near the bottom of the View sub-menu. This is an HTPC, so there isn't a keyboard, and switching between windowed and full screen is more difficult.

Can it be moved back? Thanks.
See here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus1189 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hajj_3 View Post
PLEASE bring back the "Full Screen" option from the right click menu on videos, i use that all the damn time to get out of fullscreen as i only need to right click then slightly move the cursor to click "Full Screen", build 1.5.2.3445 beta is the last major beta that still has this, newer betas have removed it.
Just double click on videoframe to toggle between fullscreen and window mode. It's even faster.
You can also set up in options what mouse button you prefer for this.

No problem here
Old 11th August 2018, 21:12   #5555  |  Link
73ChargerFan

I can't double click with the mouse fast enough.
73ChargerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2018, 03:13   #5556  |  Link
Asmodian

Slow down the double click speed in Windows.
Old 12th August 2018, 06:50   #5557  |  Link
Klaus1189

You can also click the middle button/scroll wheel. But of course set it up first in options.
Old 12th August 2018, 08:36   #5558  |  Link
cremor

I prefer a key instead of double clicking because it happens way to often that I want to double click and then move the window by accident.
Would be really great if we had an option to disable moving the window when clicking inside the video frame.
cremor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2018, 08:56   #5559  |  Link
Klaus1189

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremor View Post
I prefer a key instead of double clicking because it happens way to often that I want to double click and then move the window by accident.
Would be really great if we had an option to disable moving the window when clicking inside the video frame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus1189 View Post
You can also click the middle button/scroll wheel. But of course set it up first in options.
Again: Open Options -> Keys and set ID 830 from LeftDblClk to what ever you like, just like Left Up / Left Down / Middle Up / Middle Down, ...
Be sure to change both entries, one for windowed mode, one for fullscreen mode.
-> No double click action required anymore

I personally got a wireless keyboard
Old 12th August 2018, 11:09   #5560  |  Link
THEAST

Is it possible to disable the name and version of MPC-BE in title bar so that only file name is displayed in that space similar to MPC-HC?
THEAST is offline   Reply With Quote