Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 14th April 2016, 20:08   #24081  |  Link
Sharc

Hmmm..., in this case it seems to be currently better to deinterlace the source and encode it progressive only with x265, until further notice.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2016, 21:52   #24082  |  Link
gonca

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
It is certainly based (from an interface standpoint) on X264, though. For the most part the command line parameters (that are supported) are the same. I'm guessing this was the reason I'd not used the --interlace parameter in the past (although I really can't remember).

Separating the fields and adjusting to fields-per-second is easy enough... but it would sure make a lot more sense for the encoder to separate them.

Is it my imagination, or does it seem like people are getting more "snippety" on DOOM9 lately?
Not your imagination

Like CV91913 said...
gonca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2016, 21:54   #24083  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
Hmmm..., in this case it seems to be currently better to deinterlace the source and encode it progressive only with x265, until further notice.
You're right. I personally have my reservations in accepting that every player on the planet is wrong and a link to an X265 "readthedocs" post is the authoritative source. But, since I choose not to personally scour the specs and prove or disprove it, I will change BD-RB so it deinterlaces before encoding interlaced sources using X265.

It makes absolutely no sense to create a stream that nothing will play.
Old 14th April 2016, 22:05   #24084  |  Link
sneaker_ger

From spec:
Quote:
field_seq_flag equal to 1 indicates that the CVS conveys pictures that represent fields, and specifies that a picture timing
SEI message shall be present in every access unit of the current CVS. field_seq_flag equal to 0 indicates that the CVS
conveys pictures that represent frames and that a picture timing SEI message may or may not be present in any access
unit of the current CVS. When field_seq_flag is not present, it is inferred to be equal to 0. When
general_frame_only_constraint_flag is equal to 1, the value of field_seq_flag shall be equal to 0.

NOTE 11 – The specified decoding process does not treat access units conveying pictures that represent fields or frames differently.
A sequence of pictures that represent fields would therefore be coded with the picture dimensions of an individual field. For
example, access units containing pictures that represent 1080i fields would commonly have cropped output dimensions of
1920x540, while the sequence picture rate would commonly express the rate of the source fields (typically between 50 and 60 Hz),
instead of the source frame rate (typically between 25 and 30 Hz).
I can confirm x265 outputs using field_seq_flag=1 with each field as a distinct picture so I'm inclined to say the x265 documentation is correct.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2016, 22:45   #24085  |  Link
jdobbs

I repeat, however -- it makes absolutely no sense to create a stream that nothing will play.
Old 14th April 2016, 23:24   #24086  |  Link
Sharc

A sort of workaround is to force the player to 16:9 DAR. It then resizes the 1920x540 pictures (fields) vertically and plays at double rate. Like a bobber with the vertical interpolation (or resizing) delegated to the player......

Last edited by Sharc; 14th April 2016 at 23:27.
Old 15th April 2016, 01:36   #24087  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:

Is it my imagination, or does it seem like people are getting more "snippety" on DOOM9 lately?
Uh..., (cough...) eh, no boss...

No snippetiness here...
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2016, 02:27   #24088  |  Link
AmigaFuture

Quote:
Social Networking... Facebook. I'm not a fan of Facebook...but friends tell me things and I'm hearing more complaints about comments and drama. I tell them to stop using it. I like fora like this...very little of it. At least the few threads I follow. Personally, I'd like to see Facebook and sites like it end...go back to more person to person. Though, I also like being able to chat across States, so...there's the catch.
Old 15th April 2016, 13:53   #24089  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

I'm assuming since the "snippety" comment followed sneaker_ger's post that it was in response to that, which I did not find "snippety" at all.

There are several things at work in fora such as people making quick responses in the interest of time, other people using poor choice of wording that comes-across wrong when you read it, and here too there are plenty of posters for whom English is a second or third language (not to mention of course that young people nowadays who are "educated" in the good 'ol US of A sorta suck at it themselves IMNSHO).

I for one have many dozens of boards that I try to check every day and it's not easy sometimes to pick/choose what to respond to (vs. what to let slide). Amazing that I care to post here since I don't know a single one of you, though I do sorta love jdobbs for the cool stuff he's built over the years. That's in a manly way, of course.

Carry on.

Last edited by laserfan; 15th April 2016 at 13:58.
laserfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2016, 14:06   #24090  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
That's in a manly way, of course.
Me too. A very manly masculine man-among-men way.
Old 15th April 2016, 14:17   #24091  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
Me too. A very manly masculine man-among-men way.
You two get a room already.
Groucho2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2016, 16:18   #24092  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho2004 View Post
You two get a room already.
Er..ehh... how about those Bears, eh? Great football team. Yep.
Old 15th April 2016, 17:34   #24093  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
I repeat, however -- it makes absolutely no sense to create a stream that nothing will play.
Just for info, this seems to work for my interlaced source and .mkv output:

Script (interlaced_.avs):
Quote:
LoadPlugin("c:\....\DGDecodeNV.dll")
DGSource("c:\......\Sample.dgi",fieldop=0)
AssumeTFF()
separatefields()
AssumeFieldBased() #may be skipped
AssumeFPS(50) #source is 25fps interlaced
Commandline:
Quote:
"C:\.....\avs4x265.exe" --x265-binary "c:\....\x265.exe" --crf 27 --preset faster --interlace tff --output "c:\...\interlaced.265" "c:\....\interlaced_.avs"

For muxing to .mkv one has to specify the DAR 16:9 in mkvmerge for the container.
The .mkv plays at 50fps with correct duration, full temporal resolution and correct AR in MPC-HC and VLC, without special player settings.

I didn't succeed with tsMuxeR. Playback was always too slow and size was half-height only unless I force the player to 16:9 DAR; setting the ar=16:9 parameter in tsMuxeR had no effect. I am giving up .....

Last edited by Sharc; 15th April 2016 at 17:44.
Old 15th April 2016, 17:47   #24094  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
Just for info, this seems to work for my interlaced source and .mkv output:
That still leaves the bobbing like you mentioned in post #24087.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2016, 17:49   #24095  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
That still leaves the bobbing like you mentioned in post #24087.
Absolutely. But at least something playable ...
Old 16th April 2016, 01:53   #24096  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathe View Post

Heh, well, like I say, I am definitely NO expert. Just trying to help. It SORT OF sounded like the kind of files I had.

FWIW, I did indeed buy the Season 1 set on DVD, used. I can't remember if it was from the UK or from here in the U.S. It was the Season 2 files that I was having trouble with, and I remember it took me quite a while to find a thread somewhere where someone HAPPENED to mention these Avisynth commands, and they happened to work
If from the U.K., the MPEG-2 video would have been coded from a 23.976p master to 25p. A U.S. release should not have been 29.97p.

Quote:
Oh, and to tie it in to the overall discussion here (well, sort of... ) The thing that got me started with these files is that BDRB's built in deinterlacers didn't have any affect on the files - I'm GUESSING because they were encoded progressively and therefore didn't flag the fact that the video itself actually was (or looked) very interlaced. And I was puzzled thinking, wouldn't BDRB simply just re-encode the files and make them right? So, that is what got me started on the long quest to figure out what to do...
There would be no need for BDRB to have code in it to look for screwed up video and attempt to deal with it. It should only have to deal with correctly encoded sources.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2016, 22:19   #24097  |  Link
ggtop

Alternate output

Hi all,

is it the normal behavior that multi channel input gets stereo downmixed? I have a Bluray with DTS XLL track. My alternate file has option audio AC3 and bitrate 640 (I also tested bitrate 448). Reading the instruction in alternate.txt I assumed only bitrates 384 and lower end in stereo downmix.

ggtop
ggtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2016, 22:45   #24098  |  Link
jdobbs

No it's not normal. But you may want to check your settings in FFDSHOW or LAV Filters (whichever you use) and make sure that "mixing" isn't enabled. BD-RB tries to turn mixing off in the registry each time it does an audio encode, and then set it back to it's original state at completion -- but if your rights don't allow the changes (or your A/V software intercepts it), it could fail to change.
Old 17th April 2016, 12:50   #24099  |  Link
ggtop

Thank you for the hint. I'm using LAV filters and Mixing is not enabled. I did 2 quick tests using "Intact Video" and the AC3 came out 6ch as expected. The first test was with Microsoft Security Essentials disabled. The second test had it enabled. Both were fine. I will do another test tomorrow with the same Profile that a had the issue with. Interessting was that the 2ch AC3 file (created by BD-RB) had the same size than the file I created myself with eac3to with the demuxed DTS file from BD-RB. But this one showed up as 6ch AC3... If I find something I will let you know.

ggtop
ggtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2016, 16:03   #24100  |  Link
jdobbs

What are you using to tell you whether it is/isn't 6 channel? MediaInfo? Could you post the profile you used to encode? Could you also post the "AUD_00000_4352.AVS" file (the name will change depending upon the M2TS number and stream ID, but will always start with "AUD" and end with ".AVS")?

Last edited by jdobbs; 17th April 2016 at 16:15.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote