Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Linux, Mac OS X, & Co

Old 20th January 2009, 20:56   #241  |  Link
ggking7

It's perfect! Thank you!
ggking7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 21:24   #242  |  Link
microchip8
ffx264/ffhevc author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggking7 View Post
It's perfect! Thank you!
the things I can do with shell scripting
Old 23rd January 2009, 04:41   #243  |  Link
Fat_Guy

Hello, this is my first post here....i have a question regarding converting
a video file into PS3 compatible container. I have looked at your h264enc
commandline program (thx for creating this froggy1) & so i also have a few questions re 'converting' an mkv file. Here's the nfo on the file in question:

General Information

RUNTIME.......: 2h:10m:16s

SIZE..........: 12.3 GB, DVD9+DVD5

VIDEO CODEC...: x264, 2pass [LEVEL 4.1]

FRAMERATE.....: 24.000 fps

BITRATE.......: Variable ~ 11956 Kbps

RESOLUTION....: 1916x816

AUDIO 1.......: French DTS 5.1 1.5 Mbps

SUBTITLES.....: English, french, spanish

It is a large 12.3 Gb MKV w/ x264 already at Level 4.1, DTS French & English Subs....i want to keep video quality untouched as well as the French DTS 5.1 untouched & include the English subs. Can this be be done with h264enc? If so, the avchdhq profile would be the correct one yes? How would i set up all the options in h264enc to 'untouch' audio/video quality? I have a simple Linux script that works on most mkv w/ DD5.1....it is suppposed to handle DTS as well but it seems to fail on this file....& the subtitles present an issue with th existing script i was using...hence looking at H264enc.

Thx for any suggestions & have a nice day.

Fat_Guy

Last edited by Fat_Guy; 23rd January 2009 at 04:48.
Fat_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2009, 13:59   #244  |  Link
microchip8
ffx264/ffhevc author

if you want to keep both video and audio untouched, why use h264enc to re-encode it? Simply use mkvmerge to add the subtitles to the mkv you have (I hope you didn't get it illegally as this board doesn't allow discussions about such things). h264enc is meant to re-encode stuff so if you do that you will lose quality, and depending on the settings, this loss can be (very) minimal or more noticeable. h264enc will not help you much in your case

the avchdhq preset is a specific preset which encodes the content to be AVCHD compliant

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVCHD
http://www.avchd-info.org/

in your case, you can use something like: mkvmerge file.mkv subtitle1.srt subtitle2.srt subtitle3.srt -o output.mkv

PS: the PS3 doesn't support MKVs so you'll have to use MP4 but again you can simply demux the MKV and add video and re-encoded audio to AAC into the MP4 container, including all three subtitles. This will not guarantee though that your file will be compatible for the PS3 as Level 4.1 is not the only thing that matter but also with which settings the file was encoded. PS3 is picky about that. If your original MKV wasn't encoded with proper settings for the PS3, simply remuxing it into MP4 won't work for the PS3 so you'll have to re-encode with PS3 compatible presets which h264enc has

Last edited by microchip8; 23rd January 2009 at 14:07.
microchip8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2009, 18:14   #245  |  Link
Fat_Guy

Thankyou froggy1 for replying to my post.......i guess upon initial perusal of your program i noticed the avchdhq preset...i knew that avchd with dts sound is supported on ps3, so i figured perhaps there was some way to setup h264enc to 'shut off' video/audio transcoding & just remux the three tracks into the avchd. Unfortunately i find a lot of this video file manipulation a bit confusing & converting mkv to ps3 compatible is a battle for me under Linux...particularly with DTS which in this case is 1.5mbps dts that i want to keep. I have to find some sort of Linux howto related to video conversion to PS3 because i keep going around in circles.

In general, when you run h264enc with a preset, say 'avchdhq', are all the other prompts that follow afterwards 'preselected' to appropriate setttings?
...or must you still manipulate them accordingly?

thx & have a nice day.
Fat_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2009, 18:45   #246  |  Link
microchip8
ffx264/ffhevc author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_Guy View Post
Thankyou froggy1 for replying to my post.......i guess upon initial perusal of your program i noticed the avchdhq preset...i knew that avchd with dts sound is supported on ps3, so i figured perhaps there was some way to setup h264enc to 'shut off' video/audio transcoding & just remux the three tracks into the avchd.
yes, the ps3 supports avchd but again the file has to be encoded with compliant avchd settings. Resolution, encoder settings, etc have to be accordingly. I don't know if your file is compliant since I don't know how it was encoded, and changing the container won't fix that because container change does not alter the audio and video at all. There is a Windows tool for remuxing MKVs to M2TS (or was it PS?) container which the PS3 will play. AVCHD is a modified standard of the Blu-ray standard so it too has a directory structure just like Blu-ray does. tsMuxeR is the only available tool for creating Blu-ray structures under Linux, AFAIK. For AVCHD I don't know any

h264enc is a simple CLI interface for setting up encoder options, this is its primary function. It's not a muxing tool per definition so you can't shut off audio and video in h264enc and use only its muxing capabilities

Quote:
Unfortunately i find a lot of this video file manipulation a bit confusing & converting mkv to ps3 compatible is a battle for me under Linux...particularly with DTS which in this case is 1.5mbps dts that i want to keep. I have to find some sort of Linux howto related to video conversion to PS3 because i keep going around in circles.
I can imaging how it can get confusing for a newbie, sometimes I'm confused too As I said above, remuxing doesn't change the way the video and audio were encoded. You only change containers which are used to hold audio/video/subs/etc and synchronize them. To really change something in the audio/video stream you have to re-encode it

Quote:
In general, when you run h264enc with a preset, say 'avchdhq', are all the other prompts that follow afterwards 'preselected' to appropriate setttings?
...or must you still manipulate them accordingly?

thx & have a nice day.
not really, when you choose a preset you only choose the MEncoder encoder settings. Though for some presets there's an informative function which, when you reach scaling, it prints which resolutions are valid for this preset. For example, if you choose the sony psp preset, a message will be displayed with the valid resolutions for the Sony PSP devices. Also most portable device presets have restricted audio codecs. Again for example, when you use the psp preset and come to the audio settings, it will only allow you to use AAC audio or nosound because the PSP doesn't support other audio codecs
Old 2nd February 2009, 12:58   #247  |  Link
microchip8
ffx264/ffhevc author

ChangeLog for version 8.7.1
Code:
* Use keyint_min of 2 instead of 1 for the Blu-ray/AVCHD presets to prevent consecutive IDR frames
* Added -loop 1 to MPlayer to prevent infinite looping if user has set -loop 0 in MPlayer's config file. Suggested
by Jan Paral (Dept. of Physics, Univ. of Alberta, Canada)
Old 13th February 2009, 13:18   #248  |  Link
kozaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggy1 View Post
@ kozaki

Well, I'm on an rpm based Linux too (openSUSE 11.0) and I don't have any problems with it. I never use mplayer and x264 from the repo's and always compile them myself. I don't have any problems with that on my system and can always use the latest of these programs. I don't know how Mandriva does it since the last time I used it, they were called Mandrake and I used version 8.1 which is many years old.
Please forgive me to ask this here.
froggy1 since you answered this i compiled needed libraries and encoders (e.g. faad2, x264, gpac, libnut, ffmpeg & mplayer) on my Mandriva x86_64 station with some success regarding h264enc's use.

Since then i've had issues with apps relying on the compiled librairies: kino, avidemux, VLC stopped to work, complaining for the lack of e.g. libavcodec.so.51()(64bit). Forcing the re-installation of the packages do not help. Neither makin a dirty symlink from (compiled) libavcodec.so to libavcodec.so.51.

I understand those apps rely on shared libraries/codecs. Basically do we need to compile the whole lot of video related apps as soon as we compile one (loosing the ability to update any of them from the distro binary packages) ? Or is there a way to use both of them, e.g. ffmpeg + ffmeg-svn ? Sorry if there's already a post on this as i couldn't find it.
kozaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 13:41   #249  |  Link
microchip8
ffx264/ffhevc author

for h264enc, you don't need ffmpeg, faad2 and libnut. all you need is mplayer, x264, gpac, mkvtoolnix and ogmtools

I don't know why your vlc and avidemux complain. I also have avidemux and vlc, but they use libs from /usr/lib64 and not libs from my self-compiled mplayer and x264, which are in /usr/local

for example, my avidemux (from repo) is linked to libx264.so.60 while my self-compiled mplayer is linked to libx264.so.66 in /usr/local/lib. If I would want avidemux to use my self-compiled x264 and its libx264.so.66 library, then I'll have to recompile avidemux.

I've also never had issues in using self-compiled ffmpeg and ffmpeg from repo at the same time, and the apps that depend on ffmpeg from repo work properly here and at the same time I can use self-compiled ffmpeg without problems.
Old 14th February 2009, 15:49   #250  |  Link
microchip8
ffx264/ffhevc author

ChangeLog for version 8.7.2
Code:
* Rewrote and simplified the video_denoise_func() function. Merged the presets with the denoise filters
* Added two Archos 5 presets (ar5 and ar5hq)
* Removed unused global_header variable from h264enc and the preset.cfg file
* Add audio meta-data info for the MKV container when using aac, mp3, ac3 or vorbis audio
* Revert back to the old crop detection method for DVDs as it was more precise in some cases than the
currently used one. This forces the video codec during crop detection to mpeg12 instead of ffmpeg2 as the
-sstep option doesn't play nice with ffmpeg2
* Updated the man page
Old 17th February 2009, 07:05   #251  |  Link
]Lexx[

HQ presets for Blu-ray/AVCHD [x264] HP@Level 4.1 encoding

--pass 1 --bitrate XXXX --stats ".stats" --ref 4 --mixed-refs --no-fast-pskip --bframes 5
--b-pyramid --weightb --direct auto --deblock -3:-3 --subme 9 ---analyse p8x8,b8x8,i4x4,i8x8 --8x8dct --trellis 2 --aq-strength 0.8
--psy-rd 1.0:0.0 --b-adapt 2 --me umh --threads auto --thread-input --progress --no-psnr --no-ssim --output NUL

--pass 2 --bitrate XXXX --stats ".stats" --ref 4 --mixed-refs --no-fast-pskip --bframes 5 --b-pyramid --weightb
--direct auto --deblock -3:-3 --subme 9 --analyse p8x8,b8x8,i4x4,i8x8 --8x8dct --trellis 2 --aq-strength 0.8 --psy-rd 1.0:0.0 --me umh
--threads auto --thread-input --progress --no-psnr --no-ssim --output "yourmovie.mkv" "avs encode.avs"

Level 4.1 Compliances

Number of allowed reference frames to make your encode L4.1 compatible.

|-----------|---------|
|Resolution | no. ref |
|-----------|---------|
| 1280x544 | 12 |
| 1280x720 | 9 |
| 1920x800 | 5 |
| 1920x816 | 5 |
| 1920x1080 | 4 |
|-----------|---------|
]Lexx[ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 14:33   #252  |  Link
microchip8
ffx264/ffhevc author

I don't change frame references according to resolution for the bd/avchd presets
Old 19th February 2009, 12:49   #253  |  Link
liquidator87

Where did you find the documentation for mencoder "x264encopts" parameter?
liquidator87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2009, 13:06   #254  |  Link
buzzqw
HDConvertToX author

mencoder man pages ?

BHH
AutoWebM: supporting WebM/VP8
buzzqw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2009, 13:14   #255  |  Link
nm

Looks like the manual web page is currently empty, probably because of some bug in automatic generation.

But if you have MPlayer/MEncoder properly installed, just run "man mplayer" in a terminal. Search by typing "/x264encopts" and hit enter. Next and previous hits can be searched with keys "n" and "N", respectively.

"x264 --longhelp" is also useful since the x264encopts parameters from MEncoder are parsed by libx264, so the syntax is mostly the same except for delimiters.
nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2009, 13:42   #256  |  Link
liquidator87

thank you, I found what I need
liquidator87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 21:17   #257  |  Link
WalterK

hey froggy1 have you seen the latest svn mplayer?
Its now shipping with vdpau without the need for patches and therein lies the problem.
Trying to re-encode vc-1 hidef files to x264 leads to a
Code:
Starting to encode in: 5 4 3 2 1 
MEncoder SVN-r28674-4.3.2 (C) 2000-2009 MPlayer Team
success: format: 0  data: 0x0 - 0x80e0f0c
ASF file format detected.
[asfheader] Audio stream found, -aid 1
[asfheader] Video stream found, -vid 2
VIDEO:  [WVC1]  480x360  24bpp  1000.000 fps  512.0 kbps (62.5 kbyte/s)
[V] filefmt:6  fourcc:0x31435657  size:480x360  fps:1000.000  ftime:=0.0010
==========================================================================
Opening audio decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg/libavcodec audio decoders
AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 64.0 kbit/4.54% (ratio: 8005->176400)
Selected audio codec: [ffwmav2] afm: ffmpeg (DivX audio v2 (FFmpeg))
Opening video filter: [expand osd=1]
Expand: -1 x -1, -1 ; -1, osd: 1, aspect: 0.000000, round: 1
Opening video filter: [harddup]
Opening video filter: [softskip]
Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
Selected video codec: [ffvc1vdpau] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg WVC1 (VDPAU))
Forcing output FourCC to 30355844 [DX50].
MP3 audio selected.
VDec: vo config request - 480 x 360 (preferred colorspace: VC1 VDPAU acceleration)
Could not find matching colorspace - retrying with -vf scale...
Opening video filter: [scale]
The selected video_out device is incompatible with this codec.
Try appending the scale filter to your filter list,
e.g. -vf spp,scale instead of -vf spp.
Segmentation fault
-> MEncoder has exited with a non-zero status!
-> Exiting in function: mencoder_exit()
Lack of colorspace conversion with mplayer for vdpau-vc1, theres a nvidia patch but this requires you disable x264 so maybe add a bit that for now vdpau should be disabled with --disable-vdpau for the latest svn of mplayer (its enabled by default if the driver is detected)

PS i tried the vc-1 encoded files with all the tools divxenc, h264enc and xvidenc to see if it was limited to one but its a mplayer/vdpau bug

Last edited by WalterK; 23rd February 2009 at 21:20.
WalterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 21:46   #258  |  Link
microchip8
ffx264/ffhevc author

Walter,

No I have not seen that yet and I'll have to upgrade my svn. Honestly I'm tired of adding workarounds in my scripts just to fix some of the buggy code in mplayer/mencoder that developers are either too lazy to fix or just don't care.

Can you post a VC1 sample somewhere as I don't have one here?
Old 24th February 2009, 16:09   #259  |  Link
WalterK

try this sample http://dvbportal.dyn1.de/ts/thenotebook-vc1-1080p.wmv
WalterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009, 19:55   #260  |  Link
ranger0293

Hi, I really love the script.

I'm looking to use it to rip my dvd collection (mostly television shows), and I was curious what you would recommend for quality and file sizes. I guess I was thinking of using the vhq preset. Should I go for a size like 350MB per 30 minutes of show? I don't need anything fancy, just nice quality rips. Any suggestions would be welcome.
ranger0293 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
h264enc, ipod, mencoder, ps3, xbox360