Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 ASP

Old 18th May 2008, 19:57   #1  |  Link
bdub

Xvid ISO MPEG-4 file won't open in virtualdub

hi, i've got an avi file here that g-spot reports as being coded with the abovve codec. i can play the file in WMP, but i can't load it into virtualdub. i get the error... "couldn't locate decompressor for format 'xvid'(unknown), Virtualdub requires...blah,blah,blah". other files that g-spot reports as xvid formats open fine in virtualdub, just these that are reported as "Xvid ISO MPEG-4" will not. Can anyone explain what is going on here?
Thanks.
bdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2008, 20:39   #2  |  Link
setarip_old

Hi!
Quote:
Xvid ISO MPEG-4 file won't open in virtualdub... hi, i've got an avi file here that g-spot reports as being coded with the abovve codec.
What software, codecs, and procedures did you use when you created this problematic file, that are different than those used to create the other XviD-compressed files that "open fine in VirtualDub"?
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2008, 20:47   #3  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

VirtualDub requires VfW (Video for Windows) Codecs. DirectShowFilters, as used by Windows Media Player or Media Player Classic won't work!
Since you have some Xvid (MEPG-4 ASP) files that open in VirtualDub, I have to assume that a suitable VFW Codec is already installed on your computer.

So I guess the FourCC of the "problematic" file simply isn't recognized by the Codec in use:
Video streams in an AVI files are identified by a Four Character Code (FourCC). But not all MPEG-4 ASP streams use the same FourCC!
For example DivX uses "DIVX", Xvid uses "XVID" and M$ uses "MP42" to label MPEG-4 ASP streams. And there are even more of them in use

Although various FourCCs refer to the same video format (MPEG-4 ASP) and thus should be interchangeable, some Codecs might not recognize all of them.
What Codec exactly do you use? Xvid? ffdshow VfW? ...

I'd recommend to install latest ffdshow-tryouts, which should be able to handle your file for sure:
http://sourceforge.net/project/downl...0514_clsid.exe

Note: Make sure you enable at least "Xvid", "DivX 4/5/6", "Other MPEG-4", "DivX 3" and all "MP4X" formats (set Decoder to "libavcodec", not "disabled").
And make sure you do this in ffdshow's "VfW configuartion" window, not in the "Video decoder configuration". The latter is for DirectShow applications only.

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 18th May 2008 at 21:09.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2008, 21:06   #4  |  Link
bdub

thanks for the quick replies!
i got the file over the net, i did not create it.
i usually encode with divx, not xvid. but i have the keopi xvid build 1.1.3 installed in the system in addition to divx 6.8.
the divx codec is the filter that my system uses to play files in WMP. i know that because the divx icon shows up in the system tray when i play back xvid files. and when i goto render files in g-spot, the divx renderer always shows up as the renderer that works. the xvid renderer (as well as some others) always show they can't connect right. could this be my problem?
i do have a very limited number of codecs and filters installed through acemegacodecs pack.
i have never had this problem with any other xvid files.
Old 18th May 2008, 21:11   #5  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
thanks for the quick replies!
i got the file over the net, i did not create it.
i usually encode with divx, not xvid. but i have the keopi xvid build 1.1.3 installed in the system in addition to divx 6.8.
the divx codec is the filter that my system uses to play files in WMP. i know that because the divx icon shows up in the system tray when i play back xvid files. and when i goto render files in g-spot, the divx renderer always shows up as the renderer that works. the xvid renderer (as well as some others) always show they can't connect right. could this be my problem?
i do have a very limited number of codecs and filters installed through acemegacodecs pack.
i have never had this problem with any other xvid files.
1. Re-read my previous post carefully
2. Get rid of any "Codec Packs" and only install ffdshow-tryouts
3. Read the rules, especially #6

http://forum.doom9.org/forum-rules.htm
Old 18th May 2008, 22:16   #6  |  Link
bdub

thanks for the tips.
sorry i did not know about rule 6, but i also don't see how that applies here.

Last edited by bdub; 19th May 2008 at 00:09.
Old 19th May 2008, 08:19   #7  |  Link
setarip_old

Quote:
More accurately stated in the "Announcement" at the top of the "Newbies" sub-forum here...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 14:41   #8  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
thanks for the tips.
No help for downloaded files, period. Other members will get struck for helping in any way.

I think doom9, very sensibly, has taken the position that they do not want to become known in any way-shape-or-fashion for participating or helping in the conversion & distribution of copyrighted material.

Most everything I know about video editing & conversion I've learned here--I'd just hate to see Doom9 shut down, for any reason.
laserfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2008, 12:54   #9  |  Link
bdub

ffdshow worked like a charm. i've been reading stuff about it for a while, just needed something to get me started with it.

i appreciate the help. and i understand about #6... we have some of the same types of rules over at motherboards.org.