Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 2nd September 2011, 18:21   #1  |  Link
lindewell

Need an MP4 muxer

Hello is there a good mp4 muxer out there. I tried MP4Box and Yamb but there are insanely slow, I don't understand why it isn't as fast as tsMuxer.
lindewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 21:41   #2  |  Link
CarlEdman

While mp4box is no speed demon, the limiting factor appears to be hard drive, not CPU speed. So if you use one (preferably fast HDD) for the source material and another (preferably faster SSD) for the output, you can achieve pretty good performance. Also the recent nightly GPAC builds of mp4box seem to help and be definitively less buggy.
CarlEdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 21:42   #3  |  Link
CarlEdman

Yamb, by the way, is just an MP4Box front-end, so it would not help any problems you have with MP4Box.
CarlEdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011, 13:48   #4  |  Link
madhatter300871

I use MP4box in my own bluray app, I use a GPAC build (probably a few months old now) and have no real speed complaints.

Hope this helps.
madhatter300871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011, 16:49   #5  |  Link
hello_hello

Compared to muxing MKVs with MKVToolnix, muxing MP4s with YAMB is like watching paint dry. The limiting factor might be hard drive speed but Yamb extracts the streams from the original MP4, writes a temporary file, then imports that file to write the new MP4, mostly using the same hard drive.
MKVToolnix seems to simply read the original file while it's writing the second and lets you read from one hard drive while it writes to another.

Unless you particularly need to use an MP4 container, maybe consider switching to MKV.

Or try this if you can live without a GUI: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=152419
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2011, 10:44   #6  |  Link
madhatter300871

I don't use yamb, I just use mp4box directly and really it does perform just fine for me, about the same amount of time to mux an mp4 as an mkv.
madhatter300871 is offline   Reply With Quote