Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 14th November 2020, 19:41   #18741  |  Link
blacksapprow

@yuryna

Why do you need 3 pass? I don't even know what 2 pass does.
blacksapprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2020, 21:03   #18742  |  Link
yuryna

@blacksapprow
Because from my tests and my settings (not placebo but almost),
a 2 pass is far better than a CFR encoding (visual quality side)
and a 3 pass add that little plus (little grain and little geometry preserved)
compared to a 2 pass that i considered (in my "quality at all cost" goal) worthing of extra time and cpu encoding.

Last edited by yuryna; 14th November 2020 at 21:07.
yuryna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2020, 10:06   #18743  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksapprow View Post
@Atak_Snajpera

Is there a way of using CQ mode with 20000kbps setting?

I need this 20000kbps setting to prepare a BD standard m2ts.
Why don't you just use 1 Pass @ 20,0000kbps !!!

I use 60,000kbps on my UHD encodes.

30,000kbps on 1080p (BD)
Old 15th November 2020, 10:59   #18744  |  Link
blacksapprow

@Pauly Dunne

That is Variable bitrate. BD standard generally uses Constant bitrate. ==> Correction: Wrong vice versa, BD standard uses Variable bitrate at video files! Sorry I was fighting with Magix Vegas 18 deeply with colorizing effect. It made me dizzy, so I typed wrongly. By the way, Magix Vegas 18 does not accept untouched original files, crashes immediately. Converting m2ts files with Ripbot to smaller sizes are absolutely necessary!

Latest Note: I have seen that Magix Vegas denies to load CQ type. It only accepts 1 pass and 2 pass variant of Ripbot. Therefore I don't need CQ with 20000kbps because of program behavior for now. ==> Correction: Again, Magix Vegas 18 accepts CQ with 16 at most. Other manual settings, with high size, Magix Vegas crashes again. I have used Build 434 today, still same. I have to test many other options, so I can not truly tell about it's allowance, exactly for now.

Correction made at: 29.01.2021

Last edited by blacksapprow; 29th January 2021 at 21:03. Reason: Wrong information typed, corrected now.
Old 15th November 2020, 11:08   #18745  |  Link
blacksapprow

@yuryna

You need a lot of time. 2 pass needs more than double the time, with three pass took 4~5 times more.

To enhance quality you need to use Topaz Video Enhancer AI. But it needs terrible time to decode. I have a GTX 780Ti, it took 24 days to convert DVD quality to 1080i for a 100 minute film. There are other options as well, other than CG, but CG (Computer Generated) was best works at version 1.6.1.

Now there is 1.7.0 but that one lost it's quality a lot at CG. The new version can use AMD graphics cards as well as RTX 30xx serie. The software needs fixing currently.

Last edited by blacksapprow; 15th November 2020 at 11:17.
Old 15th November 2020, 20:42   #18746  |  Link
yuryna

@blacksapprow
Yes, some time it's needed for sure, but that's not a problem, considering my goal.
I'm waiting so eagerly for the 3 pass support,
because i have some 40 cores servers, that are only waiting to pump up the damn cores concerto with a distributed encoding
yuryna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2020, 09:07   #18747  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksapprow View Post
@Pauly Dunne

That is Variable bitrate. BD standard generally uses Constant bitrate.
Then whatever BD is, you don't mean Blu-ray. Blu-ray video may well nicely have a variable bitrate in VBV constraints.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2020, 13:15   #18748  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
Then whatever BD is, you don't mean Blu-ray. Blu-ray video may well nicely have a variable bitrate in VBV constraints.
Blu-ray Disc (BD), often known simply as Blu-ray, is a digital optical disc storage format. (Wikipedia)
Old 16th November 2020, 13:40   #18749  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Latest auto update question

So "we" just got another update, and it has a new category (Avisynth plug in) CAS or MCAS.avs.

Can we please get a quick explanation on what this does...

Oh wait...it's in conjunction with/part of, using the "Enhance Fine Details", custom filter.

Cheers
Old 17th November 2020, 08:11   #18750  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

@ Pauly Dunne: I know that BD usually means "Blu-ray Disc"; but I also know that the constraints mentioned by blacksapprow are not required by Blu-ray specifications.

New German Gleitz board
Old 22nd November 2020, 13:01   #18751  |  Link
userx

json encoding

I want to report an error with muxfile.json
If a directory or filename contains special caracters (e.g. äüö) json parsing fails
Code:
Error: The JSON option file 'D:\Temp\RipBot264temp\job9\job9_MuxFiles.json' contains an error:
[json.exception.parse_error.101] parse error at line 3, column 48: 
syntax error while parsing value - invalid string: ill-formed UTF-8 byte; last read: '"REMOVED\\L. Läu'.
This could be solved when save the json file with UTF-8 encoding and replace the problematic characters again with the correct one (äüö).
userx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2020, 15:07   #18752  |  Link
stryker412

Pauly,

So I've been stocking up on 4k discs with these crazy sales and most I've gotten have been under $15. I want to start adding more 4K content to Plex. I have ripped a ton of my content over the years to h264 1080p but 4k/hevc is still new to me. I use a combination of MakeMKV and Ripbot to create files. I usually use a 2-pass method to ensure a proper bitrate/file size ratio. What do you suggest for 4K content? I'm seeing some online rips that are around the 16-20GB size which is pretty acceptable to me. I don't have a 7.1 or Atmos capable setup so I usually take out the HD audio tracks and stick with core. I don't have the file space for full remuxes.
stryker412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2020, 16:44   #18753  |  Link
Ryushin

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryker412 View Post
So I've been stocking up on 4k discs with these crazy sales and most I've gotten have been under $15. I want to start adding more 4K content to Plex. I have ripped a ton of my content over the years to h264 1080p but 4k/hevc is still new to me. I use a combination of MakeMKV and Ripbot to create files. I usually use a 2-pass method to ensure a proper bitrate/file size ratio. What do you suggest for 4K content? I'm seeing some online rips that are around the 16-20GB size which is pretty acceptable to me. I don't have a 7.1 or Atmos capable setup so I usually take out the HD audio tracks and stick with core. I don't have the file space for full remuxes.
I use CQ18 and adjust MDegrain2 settings to get the file size down. Over the 370+ 4K's I've done, average film for me is coming between 10-15GB which also includes the the Atmos and DTS:X tracks if available. The grain in the film is by far the biggest factor in compression, removing that grain makes a huge difference and to me, improves the quality.

For example, Avengers Endgame is so clean the the film will be about 5GB at CQ18. Blade Runner and Black Hawk Down, with the heaviest MDegrain2 (or even MDegrain3) will still come in about 25GB, but the MDegrain results can be astounding sometimes. I posted a sample from Blade Runner a year ago or so and you could really see the amazing difference between the two.

Please be aware, you will need to have some CPU Horsepower or lots of patience to process 4K.
Ryushin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2020, 23:50   #18754  |  Link
stryker412

Yes I have plenty of CPU power (Ryzen 3700X) but I'm also using my GPU to encode (2080 Ti). I ran Solo through today but for some reason at CQ20, it came out to 2.3GB... why so small? I got the same result from CQ22.
Old 28th November 2020, 01:25   #18755  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Yes I have plenty of CPU power (Ryzen 3700X) but I'm also using my GPU to encode (2080 Ti). I ran Solo through today but for some reason at CQ20, it came out to 2.3GB... why so small? I got the same result from CQ22.
Sorry stryker412, but a Ryzen 3700X is NOT plenty of power !!!!

I have a 3950X, and would like WAY more grunt !!! (but can't afford better)

Well, I have a very different take on 4K encoding, and have got a fair bit of flack for it...but each to their own, I say !!

So, ALL my 4K encodes are done with 1 pass @ 60,000kbps, so they come out fairly large files.

I will preview each movie to see if it needs an MDegrain "fix", and have several custom filters to do that.

As I only use a USB stick into the TV's usb ports, I need to convert TrueHD (& FLAC) to DTS-MA, and as I like subtitles, I have to convert .sup to .srt's, which is a bit of a pain, but my LG TV doesn't support these format's.

So I'm actually ONLY processing the video track, with RipBot.

I haven't used RB for a long time, as I have been trying to organise my storage system (which keeps failing me).

I have to agree with Ryushin with his comments on what MDgrain can do to "dirty" grainy movie, I ran "The Fifth Element" thru with, it might have been MDgrain 4, and even though it took days to process, it was an awesome result !!!

So like I said, each to their own settings & preferences, you figure out what works for you, and stick to it, regardless of anyone else !!!!
Old 28th November 2020, 14:08   #18756  |  Link
stryker412

Not sure what's going on with Ripbot. I am trying to convert Solo. I have tried on CQ22, 20 and now 18 with mdgrain. I kept getting 2.5GB files and now with CQ18 I got one that was 1.5GB for a 2160p file. Why are the coming in so small?
Old 28th November 2020, 16:25   #18757  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

You do realize that compression efficiency depends of the video complexity? You should always check if quality of the encoded video is good enough for your eyes.
Atak_Snajpera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2020, 17:38   #18758  |  Link
stryker412

I'm thinking the the smaller sizes did not include HDR.
Old 29th November 2020, 16:50   #18759  |  Link
Ryushin

Quote:
I'm thinking the the smaller sizes did not include HDR.
I'm not sure why, but I've found 10bit color to make smaller files than 8bit. CQ18 x265 is supposed to be the same as CQ22 x264.

I cannot tell you how many hours I've spent comparing the original source compared CQ18. I cannot tell the difference at all. HDR10 should not increase the size of the file either. Using two/three pass seems to me to be a waste of space to me. Constant Quality is just that. The quality is the same through the whole film and the size will be what it will be. If you just want to be more paranoid, then do CQ16. I'm just don't know why people are using two/three pass unless they want it to fit to a specific sized medium.
Ryushin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2020, 22:33   #18760  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryushin View Post
I'm not sure why, but I've found 10bit color to make smaller files than 8bit.
For x264 it is known that 10 bits per channel can be more efficient, especially for cartoons. It is not as certain for x265.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryushin View Post
CQ18 x265 is supposed to be the same as CQ22 x264.
Maybe the other way round: x265 should be more efficient than x264, so a coarser quantization should be sufficient for similarly low perceived loss of quality. But not certainly either. It will always depend on the material and the audience.

New German Gleitz board

Tags
264, 265, appletv, avchd, bluray, gui, iphone, ipod, ps3, psp, ripbot264, x264 2-pass, x264 gui, x264_64, x265, xbox360