Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 20th December 2018, 06:04   #53941  |  Link
Asmodian

I only need FSE for HDR, SDR works very well on my 2080 Ti in fullscreen windowed.
Old 20th December 2018, 06:54   #53942  |  Link
austinminton

Interesting, I get stutter in fs windowed for sdr. Do you change refresh rates to match the source?
austinminton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2018, 10:02   #53943  |  Link
cremor

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMonarchY View Post
Does anyone have issues with NVidia latest drivers on Win10 1607 and Exclusive Full screen mode? I get tearing near the top in fast-paced scenes and that's with madVR-set custom resolution.
Make sure you didn't force VSync off in the driver. I did that once (because I read somewhere I should do it for G-Sync) and it also gave me tearing in madVR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinminton View Post
Interesting, I get stutter in fs windowed for sdr. Do you change refresh rates to match the source?
I have a RTX 2070 and windowed fullscreen works fine for me. I'm using madVR custom refresh rates and just SDR content.
cremor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2018, 10:12   #53944  |  Link
ryrynz

Anyone got any performance numbers for 2070 vs 1080/1080Ti for madVR?

Also is there a way to get madVR to output an image beyond the screen resolution? I'd like to use it for upscaling images and saving but I'm limited to a non 4K screen.

Last edited by ryrynz; 20th December 2018 at 11:08.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2018, 11:19   #53945  |  Link
austinminton

Ok so I stand corrected, not everyone with rtx needs FSE. I have tried with the latest drivers as well and am absolutely sure I need it for my setup. I get stuttering even with default madvr settings and matching refresh rates (i just cant tolerate unmatched). Have even tried a full windows reinstall. I am quite sure there are a few other users who have had the same problem and have solved it with FSE.

I dont need FSE for the exact same setup but the 2080 ti swapped out with a 1080.

For what its worth, my primary PC:
Intel 9900k, asus maximus xi code, 64gb ram, asus strix 2080 ti oc edition, samsung 970 evo, bunch of 10tb hdds. Sony 75" z9d as the primary display for madvr. Not sure what else could be relevant.

Last edited by austinminton; 20th December 2018 at 11:23.
Old 20th December 2018, 11:48   #53946  |  Link
Mykola

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Anyone got any performance numbers for 2070 vs 1080/1080Ti for madVR?

Also is there a way to get madVR to output an image beyond the screen resolution? I'd like to use it for upscaling images and saving but I'm limited to a non 4K screen.
In AMD drivers there is setting called Virtual Super Resolution, it allows to run apps in 4K on screens, smaller than 4K. May be nVidia has something similar.
Mykola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2018, 12:03   #53947  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
madVR just renders to the players window size. It would be up to it to just be the size you want it to be, I would think.
Old 20th December 2018, 13:53   #53948  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
try the screen shoot function it can do up to 800%.

if you combine it with other tricks you can do quite some resolution.

@austinminton

don't forget the nvidia power setting there is a problem on windows 10 with windowed mode that can results in a stuttering mess on dual or more monitor setup where the refreshrate doesn't match on all screens(composition rate mismatches) this varies heavily by the used windows version. a way to test it is using overlay rendering which usually ignores such issues similar to FSE.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2018, 18:12   #53949  |  Link
Asmodian

Ah, good point huhn. I am currently running with only one screen attached.
Old 20th December 2018, 18:39   #53950  |  Link
foozoor

@madshi
Can we expect something big before Christmas?
What about the new algorithm?

Last edited by foozoor; 20th December 2018 at 19:15.
foozoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2018, 18:50   #53951  |  Link
x7007

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinminton View Post
Ok so I stand corrected, not everyone with rtx needs FSE. I have tried with the latest drivers as well and am absolutely sure I need it for my setup. I get stuttering even with default madvr settings and matching refresh rates (i just cant tolerate unmatched). Have even tried a full windows reinstall. I am quite sure there are a few other users who have had the same problem and have solved it with FSE.

I dont need FSE for the exact same setup but the 2080 ti swapped out with a 1080.

For what its worth, my primary PC:
Intel 9900k, asus maximus xi code, 64gb ram, asus strix 2080 ti oc edition, samsung 970 evo, bunch of 10tb hdds. Sony 75" z9d as the primary display for madvr. Not sure what else could be relevant.
Your TV or Monitor could be the issue.. I had issue with Philips 7007 TV when using 60 Hz, 59 Hz worked fine.
x7007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2018, 20:59   #53952  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by foozoor View Post
@madshi
Can we expect something big before Christmas?
What about the new algorithm?
Was expecting something some weeks back but madshi started another round of HDR improvements with new test builds, so I think next month maybe..
He's not known to do things concurrently so I think a stable will be out when he's finished this batch of HDR development.
Madshi also said to me that the new algo is basically on hold / in development with no ETA, don't hold your breath with that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
try the screen shoot function it can do up to 800%.
Cheers, didn't make the connection between those options and what I wanted.

Last edited by ryrynz; 20th December 2018 at 21:04.
Old 21st December 2018, 01:33   #53953  |  Link
austinminton

Quote:

@austinminton

don't forget the nvidia power setting there is a problem on windows 10 with windowed mode that can results in a stuttering mess on dual or more monitor setup where the refreshrate doesn't match on all screens(composition rate mismatches) this varies heavily by the used windows version. a way to test it is using overlay rendering which usually ignores such issues similar to FSE.
I do have a pc monitor + tv setup and have "adaptive" set on power setting in nvidia control panel.

here are the results of my tests on the 2080 ti. I am using default settings with refresh rate matching at 4k:

1) only tv hooked up - Stutter
2) only tv hooked up with overlay enabled - Stutter
3) tv + pc monitor hooked up with overlay enabled, display to tv - Stutter
4) only tv hooked up with FSE - No Stutter
5) tv + monitor hooked up, display to tv with FSE - No stutter

The stutter is so obvious that I can instantly tell if FSE is enabled by looking at the video.

Here are some other quotes with the same problem, so definitely not just with my setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by curael View Post
OM*G! Boys! FSE gives me smooth playback on the RTX 2080. THANK YOU SO MUCH! 👻😄
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnholt01 View Post
Yes, I am using 2080 and get stuttering also even through CPU/GPU utilization is low and rendering time is low. I was getting no stuttering with 1060. Only thing that prevents stuttering for me is enabling full screen exclusive mode.
Well I will now lay this to rest, I definitely need FSE to avoid the stuttering. Not a problem really as everything works fine with it on my setup.

Its obviously not true for every rtx card, but its there for a few atleast.
Old 21st December 2018, 02:32   #53954  |  Link
ryrynz

I wouldn't expect the card to be the point of difference here, would expect something else related to your system. Did you use DDU when installing the RTX?
Old 21st December 2018, 02:56   #53955  |  Link
austinminton

Did a fresh windows install on a new partition. If I pull out the 2080ti and put back my old 1080 the stuttering stops.
Old 21st December 2018, 03:31   #53956  |  Link
XMonarchY

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremor View Post
Make sure you didn't force VSync off in the driver
Thanks! I set it back to App-Preference and all the tearing disappeared in both modes!
Old 21st December 2018, 21:04   #53957  |  Link
70MM
X Cinema Projectionist NZ

Question please...
1. If I set my video card 1080Ti to 24Hz I never get any dropped or repeated frames on ripped BDs, madvr will display "no dropped or repeated frames 4/5 days"
2. If I set the video card to 23.97 I get one repeated frame every 4/5 minutes, never any dropped frames.

Is a repeated frame every 4/5 minutes something one sees on the screen or not? I would think a repeated frame is better than a dropped frame...

Thoughts on this please guys, is it better to run on 1. or 2.?
Personally without looking at the madvr stats I cant tell any differance between either way visually...
70MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2018, 21:08   #53958  |  Link
huhn

if 24 hz give you superior stats(there are soem moves with 24 hz) use it and yes it is clearly visible.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2018, 21:10   #53959  |  Link
70MM
X Cinema Projectionist NZ

Quote:
if 24 hz give you superior stats(there are soem moves with 24 hz) use it and yes it is clearly visible.
Great thank you very much for that hunn, Ive always wondered whats best!
70MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2018, 23:51   #53960  |  Link
Klaus1189

Dropped frame is a „jump“ in playback, one frame is not presented. You can clearly see that.
Repeated frame is a „pause“ in playback, one frame is repeated and presented twice. You can also see this clearly.
Both look terrible to me. Nothing is better here, both are visible.

Correct me if I am wrong.
Klaus1189 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling