Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 27th December 2018, 18:14   #54001  |  Link
actarusfleed

good card for UHD HDR HEVC files @60fps

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
a 970 doesn't have a HEVC decoder it may be barely able to do 24 with is very bad hybrd "decoder" but that's not a great result and please don't disabled dithering.
Hi Huhn,
so I'm going to change my graphic card....

What is the lowest in price nvidia graphic card that has no problem with 4K HDR HEVC files coded @60fps?

thank you
actarusfleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2018, 19:53   #54002  |  Link
huhn

a used 960 4gb.
if you want VP9 10 bit you will need a 1050 ti.
huhn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2018, 19:59   #54003  |  Link
actarusfleed

Quote:
a used 960 4gb.
if you want VP9 10 bit you will need a 1050 ti.
How it's possible that a 960 is superior to my actual gtx 970??

And more : what is "vp9"?

Thank you
Old 27th December 2018, 20:05   #54004  |  Link
huhn

vp9 is a codec mostly used by youtube it is very comparable to HEVC.

the 970 is older than the 960 so they didn't finish the decoder in time.

1060 can't do 10 bit VP9 but a 1050 ti can.
Old 27th December 2018, 22:21   #54005  |  Link
Xorp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
Not if you are upscaling to 4K and not in general. NGU is a neural network scaler that requires a lot of processing power. It is much better suited for a gaming GPU.
Thanks, that's what I was thinking. The 540 was recently a lower-mid tier gaming part, that I was hoping could scrape by for NGU 1080->2160, but probably not. If I want a cheaper NUC to run NGU, I'll have to wait for a 560+ tier card to be included I guess.

Are there any benchmark tools that have certain tests and point systems that map well to madVR NGU performance? For example: You want a card that can achieve 2000 points in 3DMark - Ice Storm to have a good NGU experience.
Xorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2018, 22:26   #54006  |  Link
actarusfleed

Quote:
vp9 is a codec mostly used by youtube it is very comparable to HEVC.

the 970 is older than the 960 so they didn't finish the decoder in time.

1060 can't do 10 bit VP9 but a 1050 ti can.
Thank you
I imagine that a 1070ti is better of the 1050ti you suggested me.... Right?

Some other specification needed to do perfectly hevc uhd 60fps files ?
Old 27th December 2018, 22:44   #54007  |  Link
huhn

it can't do VP9 10 bit and you asked me for the cheapest card not a good card. but "all" cards released after the 960 and including the 960 have a HEVC decoder that can do at least 120 hz at UHD if i remember correctly.

if you need copyback decoding make sure you have 16 lanes of PCIe 3.0 available.

i would personally get a 2000 series card if you are willing to spend this much the upcoming 2060 should be in the same performance and price range with an added VP9 10 bit decoder and tensor cores which may or may not be important.
Old 27th December 2018, 22:58   #54008  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorp View Post
Thanks, that's what I was thinking. The 540 was recently a lower-mid tier gaming part, that I was hoping could scrape by for NGU 1080->2160, but probably not. If I want a cheaper NUC to run NGU, I'll have to wait for a 560+ tier card to be included I guess.

Are there any benchmark tools that have certain tests and point systems that map well to madVR NGU performance? For example: You want a card that can achieve 2000 points in 3DMark - Ice Storm to have a good NGU experience.
look at zotac zbox these are pretty much nucs with nvidia cards which are currently performing better for NGU and that's why we don't have a benchmark for this in the past a card that in AVG performed better at gaming was better for madVR this is sadly not true anymore.

an hades canyon would be an option too but they are very expensive the CPU is an total over kill but vega isn't known to perform bad with NGU. there is sadly little know about vega not a popular product to say it friendly.

let's just hope something good from AMD get's announced at CES.
Old 28th December 2018, 03:36   #54009  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
...and tensor cores which may or may not be important.
you know, for the VR madvr version. (Kidding, kidding...everyone calm down. LOL)
Old 28th December 2018, 15:28   #54010  |  Link
madFloyd

I just swapped my 1060 for a 1080ti and the NVidia drivers didn't automatically install so I guess I have to do it manually.

So I thought I'd ask, what is the recommended driver to use if your PC is just an HTPC (i.e. no gaming)? I was using 385.28 but wondering if there's a better choice at this point.

Thanks!
madFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2018, 15:42   #54011  |  Link
actarusfleed

Quote:
it can't do VP9 10 bit...
are you talkin'about 1070 ti?

Quote:
if you need copyback decoding make sure you have 16 lanes of PCIe 3.0 available.
With HEVC UHD files what is the benefit to use copyback respect D3D11?

And more to use it with Madvr .... What are the differences between GTX and RTX series?

thank you so much
Old 28th December 2018, 17:20   #54012  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by actarusfleed View Post
are you talkin'about 1070 ti?
yes only cards release after the 1060 based on there chip design can do it the 1070 ti is relative new on the market but is just a 1080 with disabled cuda cores.
so all RTX cards should be able to do it 1050 ti and slower and 1080 ti have the decoder too.
Quote:
With HEVC UHD files what is the benefit to use copyback respect D3D11?
copyback gives you the option to use some feature you can only use using a CPU like blackbar detection IVTC this is currently not possible with a native decoder.

Quote:
And more to use it with Madvr .... What are the differences between GTX and RTX series?
RTX cards have tensor cores which are created for AI "stuff" and accelerate them massively madshi may or may not create something like a scaler or so that will need them some day.

the RTX cards are made for ray tracing that didn't really take off for now by using these tensor cores and some ray tracing cores.
Old 28th December 2018, 18:36   #54013  |  Link
madFloyd

My madVR is reporting "Limited Range (says upstream) when in fact my GPU, KODI SP, LAV, and MadVR are all set to full range. Is this normal for madVR (e.g. a bug etc)?
Old 28th December 2018, 19:00   #54014  |  Link
huhn

no because the file is limited range as it should be this is just an information what the file is and nearly all files are encoded in limited range and has nothing todo with GPU/madVR or even lavfilter settings.

changing the setting in lavfilter to full range does nothing on it's own if you would read what it is saying you would notices but for some reasons guides or people tell other to set it to full range misleading them or like the creator of the program doesn't select a proper default setting for something like this...
Old 28th December 2018, 19:46   #54015  |  Link
madFloyd

Quote:
no because the file is limited range as it should be this is just an information what the file is and nearly all files are encoded in limited range and has nothing todo with GPU/madVR or even lavfilter settings.

changing the setting in lavfilter to full range does nothing on it's own if you would read what it is saying you would notices but for some reasons guides or people tell other to set it to full range misleading them or like the creator of the program doesn't select a proper default setting for something like this...
Thank you, that's very helpful to know!
Old 28th December 2018, 21:54   #54016  |  Link
x7007

Somehow NV HDR now works properly 10 bit HDR with 417.35 .. i dunno

Using Potplayer x64 set to LavFilters 71.3 . D3D11 Automatic (native)
ALL 8 bit is unchecked on Video . RGB selected 0-255 , Random Dithering . using Windowed Full Screen and not FSE . When launching it starts on windowed mode 8 bit and when I click enter to go Windowed Full screen it goes to 10 bit.
I kept Set up digital Audio HDMI : LG TV and not Off.

Nvidia control panel Use Default Color Settings , Scaling Aspect Ratio and Override the scaling mode set by games and programs Checked .

MadVR Bit set to Auto

If anyone wants to try those settings and see if it also works for him.

I am not sure what makes it work, but it works.

Last edited by x7007; 28th December 2018 at 22:02.
x7007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2018, 22:51   #54017  |  Link
j82k

NV HDR with 417.35 works only if madVR is set to 10-bit or auto and it switches to 10-bit. Nvidia CP settings don't matter. NV HDR doesn't trigger with madVR set to 8-bit. I mentioned this before and find this really weird.
j82k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2018, 00:21   #54018  |  Link
danann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Make an empty folder called "DontRenderAfterStop" in the madVR directory.

However it doesn't stop forever, so it may not work for your use case.
Yeah, I need something more like Don't Render After Pause.
Thanks for the reply though.

I wonder if there's a reason for madVR to continually render frames when no other renderer/player I tried does that while paused/stopped. It's odd.
danann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2018, 03:15   #54019  |  Link
Mano

Is it normal that when i use madvr with xy-VSFilter and select a subtitle in video the color of the movie changed?

Default no sub
https://imgur.com/oprrT9R

With english sub selected
https://imgur.com/SSo0l5f
Mano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2018, 10:40   #54020  |  Link
SirSwede

Three questions:

Can changing the Internet settings in the router, while madVR is playing, change the madVR- or picture settings in any way?

Can changing the name of the folder (K-Lite Codec Pack) where the madVR folder is placed, change the madVR- or picture settings in any way?

Can "NTFS Sparse Files Support" affect the file that is the program and in any way change the data to affect picture quality?

Last edited by SirSwede; 29th December 2018 at 11:43.
SirSwede is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling