Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Capturing Video

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14th October 2018, 20:54   #1  |  Link
wonkey_monkey
Formerly davidh*****

Trying to reencode a captured video, don't know what I'm doing...

I've just recorded Doctor Who on BBC1 HD off Freeview using some cheap USB Freeview/capture stick I got a while ago. This gives me a .mpg file.

I want to trim off the start and end and reencode the audio only - it's currently AAC and I want AC3 (Dolby Digital).

The .mpg plays fine in MPC-HC and VLC, but any encoding I try to do with ffmpeg from it just gives me a lod of "Invalid DTS" and "Invalid timestamp" messages.

So I tried dragging it into DGIndexNV so I could trim it a bit and "Output Trimmed TS". This gives me a TS file which also plays fine in MPC-HC and VLC.

But when I try to reencode the trimmed TS file, firstly i get a few dozen "DTS discontinuity" errors from ffmpeg, then if I try to output an MKV it keeps saying "Starting new cluster due to timestamp." If I output an MP4 it doesn't give this error, but the file plays back very poorly in VLC and MPC-HC - full of stutters. Loading the MP4 into VirtualDub2, it looks like there are load of black frames dropped into the video.

Can anyone give me some ideas on a) other ways to handle such an input or b) how to cut a bit of the original .mpg to upload somewhere so someone can take a look at it? Or c), some suggestions for decent capture software and not this weird "Total Media" thing that came with the stick?