Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 23rd October 2018, 21:35   #53381  |  Link
whitestar999

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
I'd rather suspect utorrent's stupid ads, perhaps try qbittorrent.
You can also give the processes different I/O priority, e.g. with Process Hacker nightly.
I use the old utorrent version without ads.As far as I can see in task manager it is the cpu usage which is of main concern(~10-15%) which can make a difference when playing a file requires 75-85% cpu usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
i'm pretty confident to say that an I/O operation an HDD can do is nothing for an SSD.
I agree & for extra safety I can always copy the video files to ssd first to play them from there separate from hdd from which seeding takes place.
whitestar999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2018, 23:04   #53382  |  Link
KoKlusz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
the HDR measurement tool included in the latest test build doesnt seem to work for me. no file is being created and gpu load stays at 0% all the time. could this issue with my rather old GTX760M be related to the one with b&w picture when using "highlight recovery strength" other than none, which has been fixed in the meantime? that some GPU functions are used which are not already included in case of my NVIDIA GPU?
You need to have both 64 and 32 bits LAV filters installed.
KoKlusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2018, 19:26   #53383  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoKlusz View Post
You need to have both 64 and 32 bits LAV filters installed.
hm not sure whether its related to that.

I got it to work twice now. but the conditions for that seem to be somewhat random. once a measurement file was created, another time even with the percentage display running. but most of the time no file is created at all.

perhaps the issue is related to optimus stuff or maybe LAVfilters.
Old 26th October 2018, 09:03   #53384  |  Link
Betroz
Is this for real?

Have anyone here done any MadVr CPU frequency scaling testing recently? Like is it any benefit to run a CPU at 3.5 Ghz vs 4.5 Ghz?
Old 26th October 2018, 09:11   #53385  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

The more madVR can utilize the GPU, the less important the CPU should be... but a fast CPU will be important for decoding complex and high-res videos.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2018, 09:21   #53386  |  Link
Betroz
Is this for real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
The more madVR can utilize the GPU, the less important the CPU should be... but a fast CPU will be important for decoding complex and high-res videos.
Yes, but I am wondering if the added heat and noise with running my i5 6600K at 4.5 Ghz is really worth it for MadVr use.
Old 26th October 2018, 09:48   #53387  |  Link
huhn

a CPU is not very important for madVR.
it doesn't scale with the CPU either you have the CPU power that is needed or you don't.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2018, 11:19   #53388  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

I have noticed that running a background process that uses a lot of CPU causes problems filling the present and render queues, even if the process is running at idle priority and not using all cores. I don't know if this is fundamental / bad thread scheduling from Windows or if madVR uses more CPU than it used to (maybe another function started taking way longer to complete since Windows 10 r1803, or maybe the Spectre mitigations are causing a bottleneck), but it's something to keep in mind. That's on an AMD Ryzen running at 3.75GHz.

Last edited by Ver Greeneyes; 26th October 2018 at 11:21.
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2018, 12:07   #53389  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Is using a dvi-d cable makes some sort of additional processing, cause in nvidia control panel I can only choose "desktop color depth 32-bit", the other options are not available etc. "output color depth", "output color format" and "output dynamic range".
Siso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2018, 14:13   #53390  |  Link
Warner306

It is locked at 8-bit RGB Full.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2018, 14:17   #53391  |  Link
Betroz
Is this for real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ver Greeneyes View Post
I have noticed that running a background process that uses a lot of CPU causes problems filling the present and render queues, even if the process is running at idle priority and not using all cores. I don't know if this is fundamental / bad thread scheduling from Windows or if madVR uses more CPU than it used to (maybe another function started taking way longer to complete since Windows 10 r1803, or maybe the Spectre mitigations are causing a bottleneck), but it's something to keep in mind. That's on an AMD Ryzen running at 3.75GHz.
I have noticed that too. A virus scan in the background is all it takes, at least on my quad core system.
Old 26th October 2018, 14:23   #53392  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
It is locked at 8-bit RGB Full.
Thank you, dude.
Siso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2018, 14:25   #53393  |  Link
Crimson Wolf

@Thunderbolt8

madshi recommends using D3D11 native decoding because it's the most efficient for the tool (32-bit). If you use anything else and the RAM usage of the tool is >1.49GB, it will crash.
Crimson Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2018, 16:38   #53394  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betroz View Post
A virus scan in the background is all it takes, at least on my quad core system.
An on-demand virus scan is pretty I/O intensive because it's gonna be limited by your disk reads, even if it has an upper CPU usage limit configured, and it's gonna do a lot of random I/O reads which imply a lot of context switches so even if it doesn't use all CPU cores it's gonna have a relatively big impact on your system.
Ideally when doing timing sensitive work like video playback you want to avoid all unnecessary background tasks especially I/O dependent.
Old 26th October 2018, 16:41   #53395  |  Link
Betroz
Is this for real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
An on-demand virus scan is pretty I/O intensive because it's gonna be limited by your disk reads, even if it has an upper CPU usage limit configured, and it's gonna do a lot of random I/O reads which imply a lot of context switches so even if it doesn't use all CPU cores it's gonna have a relatively big impact on your system.
Ideally when doing timing sensitive work like video playback you want to avoid all unnecessary background tasks especially I/O dependent.
I do have an SSD though
Old 26th October 2018, 18:44   #53396  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betroz View Post
I do have an SSD though
I've actually had an SSD pretty much hang my system while a process was verifying the integrity of a million files. I/O is definitely a big issue for responsiveness. CPU usage I would expect to have a more fine-grained effect, especially if you aren't fully loading all the cores. Either way I'm more inclined to blame Windows than madVR
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2018, 18:47   #53397  |  Link
Warner306

I created some instructions for those who are using current test builds wanting to try madMeasureHDR. Those at AVSForums are already well-versed on the current methods.

Instructions: Using madMeasureHDR to create dynamic HDR10 metadata

This is the only place this information is published and I'll update it as the tool changes.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2018, 19:25   #53398  |  Link
kostik

Quote:
I created some instructions for those who are using current test builds wanting to try madMeasureHDR. Those at AVSForums are already well-versed on the current methods.

Instructions: Using madMeasureHDR to create dynamic HDR10 metadata

This is the only place this information is published and I'll update it as the tool changes.
If I use passthrough HDR to display (instead of tone map HDR using pixel shaders), madVR is still going to use the measurement file or I have to choose 'tone map hdr using pixel shaders' ?
Old 26th October 2018, 20:31   #53399  |  Link
mytbyte

Quote:
I created some instructions for those who are using current test builds wanting to try madMeasureHDR.
I followed the guide, the measurement file gets created, but it doesn't show any changes in measured frame and scene in MadVR OSD when i play the movie. Tried both 32 bit and 64 bit MPC-HC/LAV. What am I missing?
mytbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2018, 20:39   #53400  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

I hope madshi creates a 64-bit build of that tool, because 64-bit processing can be considerably faster and less prone to memory issues. In fact, who doesn't run 64-bit these days, and with such a standalone tool there is no compatibility to consider, so personally I would go exclusively 64-bit.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling