Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > HDTV / DVB / TiVo

Old 29th April 2018, 10:25   #1  |  Link
PhillipWyllie

Processing captured HDTV content

I've upgraded to a HD capture card. In the past I processed SDTV content through ProjectX but that doesn't support AVC1. I thought I could get a way with ffmpeg to remove the usesless(thankfully now I don't get too much) packets and Avidemux to cut out the adverts but have come across timing and frame-rate issues. In fact ffmpeg tells you that in fuure versions packets without timestamps wont work.

I've got the trial of TS-doctor and I'm willing to give them money but I was wondering if there are other alternatives, free or otherwise. If not is TS-doctor worth the €30?
Old 1st May 2018, 13:17   #2  |  Link
manolito

I had the same problems when DVB-T became DVB-T2 in Germany last year. DVB-T used MPEG2-TS while DVB-T2 uses HEVC video and E-AC3 or AAC-LATM audio.

ProjectX converts MPEG-TS to MPEG-PS streams during its demuxing. This is essential to correct A/V sync problems for broadcast glitches.

TS-Doctor keeps the original streams in the TS format. It has happened many times to me that after converting the recorded stream into a different format I got sync problems. It did not matter if I let TS-Doctor repair the broadcast stream or not. The log told me where the glitches had occured, but I had to fix audio sync manually.

If your main goal is removing useless packets then you can use MKVToolNix to repack the source TS to MKV. Make sure to use a current version of MKVToolNix because there were problems a little while ago with handling TS-Doctor fixed files.

TS-Doctor has many other useful features you may or may not need. Like cutting the source (only at key frames) or removing commercials. The decision if you want to spend the money for it is up to you. I use the Doctor all the time, but I guess my conversion results would not be different if I removed the Doctor from my work flow.

For me the standard work flow is:
1. TS-Doctor (optional)
2. MKVToolNix for repacking to MKV
(absolutely necessary for HEVC-TS sources, otherwise seeking is a PITA)
3. Cutting with single frame accuracy using MKVCutter or VidCutter.
4. Convert to SD AVC/AAC using StaxRip.

Cheers
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2018, 14:45   #3  |  Link
PhillipWyllie

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
...ProjectX converts MPEG-TS to MPEG-PS streams during its demuxing. This is essential to correct A/V sync problems for broadcast glitches....
I've tried using ProjectX but I get 2 errors "!> dropping video data, GOP larger than 6MB", and "!> PTS without a frame..." which means no data gets demuxed. In the end I purchased a license for TS-Doctor. Thanks for the MKVToolNix tip though, it never occured to me it would ignore usesless data.

Last edited by PhillipWyllie; 1st May 2018 at 14:49.
PhillipWyllie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2018, 17:57   #4  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipWyllie View Post
I've tried using ProjectX but I get 2 errors "!> dropping video data, GOP larger than 6MB", and "!> PTS without a frame..." which means no data gets demuxed.
Sorry, you misinterpreted my post...
If your source video format is AVC (H.264) then ProjectX will be completely useless, it just cannot handle video formats which are not MPEG2.

For TSDoctor I am very curious if you do see an improvement in handling your AVC source files. Please keep us posted...

Cheers
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2018, 19:54   #5  |  Link
PhillipWyllie

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
...For TSDoctor I am very curious if you do see an improvement in handling your AVC source files. Please keep us posted...
Will do although thanks to my new card requiring f-type connectors I have a new apreciation to what shielding means and now I have a near perfect signal. First impressions is that I'm not impressed being used to ProjectX. If you want to upload a small problem ts I can see if TS-doctor fixes it.