Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old Yesterday, 09:58   #53941  |  Link
giulianoprs

Warner, yesterday I saw 1 movie and an episode of TV series and I did not see anything strange, no shooting and frame lost, but I can not understand why if I look at the OSD I always know those few "dropped frames".
Smooth motion is an "interpolation"? I prefer not to activate "Smooth motion" I prefer the original cadence of the film, with nothing added.

https://imgur.com/a/UPstRZu
giulianoprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:54   #53942  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiyafan View Post
Got another dumb question, does MadVR favor any of the newer units in RTX vs GTX in terms of performance? For example does 2070 have similar performance as a 1080 the way they do in games? Same thing can be asked for 2080 and 1080Ti.
Thanks!
As Asmodian said, MadVR doesn't use any of the new features yet, but when/if it does it should make a significant difference.

FYI Madshi himself doesn't advise buying GTX GPUs anymore at this stage but recommends RTX instead. He has made no promises or committed to anything, but it's most likely his intention to take advantage of the new architecture in the future with MadVR.

So no differences now, but down the line possibly a significant one.

If you want best possible PQ in HDR using MAdVR's excellent HDR tonemapping with all options/features available, I wouldn't buy anything below a 2080 (roughly equal to 1080ti), and I recommend a 2080ti if you can afford it to have some headroom. My 1080ti is struggling with the latest HDR test algos and I have to use it in D3D11 native as Copyback isn't up to the task without degrading quality. That means I lose black bar detection with D3D11 native, or have to lower the quality of chroma upscaling (using NGU AA High at the moment, so it's possible to downgrade without too much of a downside visually).

My plan is to upgrade the 1080ti as soon as nVidia releases a model supporting HDMI 2.1 and 7nm, at some point in 2019.
Denon X8500H>Vertex>JVC RS500/X7000

Last edited by Manni; Yesterday at 11:06.
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:28   #53943  |  Link
Betroz
Is this for real?

Any advantage to setting the display/TV to 12-bit in Nvidia control panel when the movie is encoded in 8-bit anyway? Or is it best to just leave it at 8-bit?
Old Yesterday, 14:14   #53944  |  Link
Warner306

No, not really.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 14:17   #53945  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by giulianoprs View Post
Warner, yesterday I saw 1 movie and an episode of TV series and I did not see anything strange, no shooting and frame lost, but I can not understand why if I look at the OSD I always know those few "dropped frames".
Smooth motion is an "interpolation"? I prefer not to activate "Smooth motion" I prefer the original cadence of the film, with nothing added.

https://imgur.com/a/UPstRZu
It is a bit hard to explain why this happens. Read the section in this post labelled "Custom Modes." Like I said before, it has something to do with the synchronization of the playback clocks:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php...942#pid2238942
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 22:29   #53946  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giulianoprs View Post
Smooth motion is not interpolation, it is designed to get the movie to play at its original cadence while playing on the display's refresh rate. Please trust your eyes.
Old Today, 02:35   #53947  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Yeah, we'll be able to do it ourselves with madVR at that point but frame blending could've be added by TV manufacturers using the panels unexposed native refresh. With the likes of Tom Cruise and Christopher McQuarrie saying "Please turn Motion interpolation off, this is not how the film should be watched" and with the Soap Opera effect being wildly known and typically despised for over a decade, I wonder why any TV manufacturer hasn't simply added this alternative as an option?
because frame rate matching is hands down the better alternative.
huhn is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling