Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Old 3rd July 2011, 19:02   #1  |  Link
aNToK

Extracting usable h264 from .mkv?

There's probably a simple solution for this but I can't seem to find it.

I ripped several Blue-ray disks to filter and recode for my collection, filtered them with MCTemporaldenoise, and used Megui to compress them with h.264/avc and merged them into an mkv file.

After viewing them, there's a few tweaks I want to make, but using MKVExtract or any other method leaves me with a video file with the .h264 extension that nothing seems to want to read.

I've worked around it with the mkv plugin for VDub to resave it as an avi file but is there a more direct way to do this?

Is there a plugin or filter to allow me to use the h264 extension in my avisynth scripts or is it some kind of container issue? I'm a bit lost...
aNToK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 22:55   #2  |  Link
sneaker_ger

You can use ffmpegsource to open the mkv files in your script:
Code:
ffvideosource("source.mkv")
Demuxing to .h264 has no benefits.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 03:15   #3  |  Link
hello_hello

What sort of tweaks are you trying to make? It sounds like you're wanting to re-encode your encode?
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 03:29   #4  |  Link
aNToK

Yeah, the original had huge amounts of grain and it's very inconsistent with some scenes being fairly sharp and some so soft they're almost blurry. Spent good money on the Rocky "Undisputed Collection" on Blu-ray and frankly, my dvd version's easier on the eyes so I've been back and forth between how much grain and noise to keep and it's decent, but I want to sharpen it up some, hence the tweaking.

Sneaker_ger's suggestion with ffmpegsource is working nicely, so I'm good for now.

Thanks, Sneaker! and thanks for the reply, hello!
aNToK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 04:15   #5  |  Link
mswaino2

I just used an MKVextract freeware program that I found and it will take everything that was muxed into the MKV file and extract them as if it were a zip file. I havent had any problem with Megui reading the files.

Last edited by mswaino2; 10th July 2011 at 04:37.