Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 21st May 2009, 13:40   #21  |  Link
shmendrapolk

OK I've gotten everything to work well, except for the meny screens.
I can't seem to get the menus to adequately adject to a 16:9 aspect ratio. I'm using film clip motion menus that are mpeg-2 created in widescreen format. TempGEnc does treat them as widescreen, insofar as they are not displayed in a distorted manner. But there are two white zones both above and below the menu image. The zones are treated as part of the menu, as I am able to drag the buttons into those zones. But I have no way of actually making it a 16:9 menu where my 16:9 menu video will fill the entire region? TempGEnc has "4:3" displayed in the upper right corner & there seems to be no way to change that.

The problem is not with the film clip itself, as it was encoded in exactly the same manner as the 16:9 movie tracks on the DVD & they render properly.
shmendrapolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2009, 15:50   #22  |  Link
Ghitulescu

I can see now the image you posted.

I think the menu was created with TMPGenc.

Now, if I understand correctly the image, you have a 4:3 image that is "filled" for 16:9. So far I know, TMPGenc cannot do real 16:9 menus (I'm still using, from time to time, the old version of 1.5 since the newer versions forcibly reencode the video/audio - I HATE THAT).

The only solution I can imagine now to this issue WOULD be (I haven't yet tested) to:
1. first check the AR in IFOedit (open VIDEO_TS.IFO)

2. create a 16:9 image (like 960x576 for PAL) which will be the background. Or more if you like different menus.

3. load this image into TMPG.., it will look stretched (because TMPG.. fills the whole screen), don't worry, you'll survive

4. edit your chapters/tracks and the menus as you like

5. NOW: go into edit menu (where you can alter the position/sizes/order etc.) and stretch the clip images accordingly (by 0.75, horizontally). They will look as stretched as the background

6. get the VIDEO_TS folder

7. load each file _0.VOB into DVDpatcher and change AR to 16:9. These files contain the tracks/chapters menus

8. edit VIDEO_TS.IFO in IFOedit to change the AR of the menu from 4:3 to 16:9.

If theory works you should have now a real 16:9 menu. The DVD player would read the 16:9 info and would stretch it accordingly - the menu will look perfect on a 16:9 TV.

This is however a "simulation" - I never did this, but this was how I would have done myself.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aspect ratio, dvd-video, pmpgenc