Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 6th January 2020, 01:19   #3301  |  Link
Mike-uk

if you used the trim command and made small clips then upload them to google drive then share the link
Mike-uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2020, 02:02   #3302  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-uk View Post
? that's 2 different movies, you ned to compare with the same movie and same time frame
Yes, of course, but I do not think that this is even necessary...

Comparing the logs I noticed that "Olymus has fallen" uses the ColorMatrix command to convert the colorimetry from HD (Rec.709) to SD (Rec.601). And this results in correct colors.

"Angel has fallen" does not use the Colormatrix command, and this results in darker and more greenish colors. This is an indication that the source file uses Rec.709, but is incorrectly flagged so AVStoDVD cannot recognize the source colorimetry.

This can be easily fixed by adding the ColorMatrix command manually.

https://i.postimg.cc/0Q1wyyPZ/Colormatrix.png

Add the Colormatrix command and use a source value of 0 and a target value of 2. This should fix it.

In any case your issue has nothing to do with the audio conversion. The FFmpeg AC3 encoder should have a slight edge over Aften these days, but I doubt that you will be able to hear the difference.

Cheers
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2020, 23:47   #3303  |  Link
dr_ml422

Well, one thing for sure is that the menu is bleeding into the picture. I just opened Olympus Has Fallen which was made with the Red background Menu and it bleeds through the picture and characters. Now, sometimes it doesn't happen because I would of noticed it, so maybe it's menu specific as there's a natural color menu also provided. I'll do the same movie with the different audio codecs just for checking that issue out. Man, you guys can't snatch an .mp4 from one of the hundreds of sites available and test it out for yourself? I'll do kit but you doing your own conversions will be even better. I'm not tinkering with any settings other than the Audio and a different menu, so you could do the same. I'll post back the logs.

Sometimes the menu bleeds into the picture and sometimes it doesn't. Now I've compared the original file to the two conversions and even at DVD-9 they weren't as clear as the original. Sometimes it's as clear as anything.

https://filebin.net/5mqvdamyolbg0fc0...log?t=ep26lzmb https://filebin.net/5mqvdamyolbg0fc0...log?t=ep26lzmb First is with Aften and Second with AviSynth. See if you can spot anything. Thanks.

The original did have a color discrepancy with a little red in the beginning and creeping through here and there. So if anything if we can try to see where we can make FFMpeg put out a better conversion.

Last edited by dr_ml422; 17th January 2020 at 01:25. Reason: additional info.
dr_ml422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2020, 07:30   #3304  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_ml422 View Post
Well, one thing for sure is that the menu is bleeding into the picture. I just opened Olympus Has Fallen which was made with the Red background Menu and it bleeds through the picture and characters.
I went through your log files, and I could no see any problems.

"Menu bleeding into the picture" is not possible technically (unless some Voodoo is going on inside your computer). The encoder (FFmpeg in your case) has no knowledge whatsoever about the menu you have created. Could it be that your subtitles have a funny color which shines through even in sections without subtitles? Try to make an encode with subs disabled.

For your encoder settings you are using CBR mode at the highest possible bitrate of 8500 kbps. This should give you a good quality encode, but for even better quality you can try to use HCenc 2-pass VBR mode instead.

This "Menu bleeding through" thing is something nobody else has ever experienced, so I will believe it when I see it. Upload a short section of an encode which shows the issue together with the same section cut out from the source file...

Last edited by manolito; 17th January 2020 at 09:28.
Old 22nd January 2020, 00:15   #3305  |  Link
dr_ml422

I checked my sources and there's some with bad coloring so that was that. I think I should keep it at DVD-5 since the sources are just @ 1-2GBs... Maybe stretching it out made it downgrade the quality. I have it set to default value with encoding, which picks what's best according to the source. I'll try this HCenc 2-pass VBR mode and see what happens. Sometimes I get really great quality encodes, and sometimes not. So I don't know if the better ones are when it decides to use HCenc...
Old 22nd January 2020, 11:23   #3306  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
I checked my sources and there's some with bad coloring so that was that.
This is what I suspected right from the beginning...

Quote:
I think I should keep it at DVD-5 since the sources are just @ 1-2GBs...
It does not have much to do with the size of your source files. The source files are already compressed, and the size of the sources depends on the efficiency of the compression codec. MPEG2 is not very efficient, MPEG4-ASP (Xvid, DivX) is almost twice as efficient, then comes AVC (aka H.264), and HEVC (aka H.265) is the most efficient video compressor today. (I left out other formats like VP8, VP9 or AV1).

If your source is compressed with HEVC and it has a size of 700 MB, then converting it to MPEG2 (which is used for DVD) you will likely get a size of more than 5 GB for a comparable quality.

What matters instead is the lenght of your video and the characteristics (compressability) of the video. A clip with little motion, low details and darker textures will need less bitrate than a high action clip with lots of motion, fast cuts, high details and complex textures like fog for the same quality.

My rule of thumb is that for an average movie up to a duration of a little over 2 hours a DVD-5 will be big enough for very good quality.

Quote:
Maybe stretching it out made it downgrade the quality.
No way...

Quote:
I have it set to default value with encoding, which picks what's best according to the source. I'll try this HCenc 2-pass VBR mode and see what happens. Sometimes I get really great quality encodes, and sometimes not. So I don't know if the better ones are when it decides to use HCenc...
Generally if you use a high bitrate (above 7000 kbps) the encoder quality is less important than for a medium or low bitrate encode. For high bitrates AVStoDVD uses FFmpeg CBR, for bitrates below 6000 kbps it uses HCenc 2-pass VBR (slightly different algo for a single core CPU).

The FFmpeg parameters are simple and not optimized for quality. But at high bitrates this does not necessarily mean that the resulting encode
will look bad. But if your computer is fast and you want the best possible quality each and every time, then you should always use HCenc 2-pass VBR mode.

Last edited by manolito; 22nd January 2020 at 11:31.
Old 27th January 2020, 09:47   #3307  |  Link
dr_ml422

Thanks manolito. Excuse the tardiness though I don't get any notifications via my email no matter what I do. Sometimes I miss the color saturation on the source. Maybe so wound up to watch it I don't notice the colors that saturate. I've had some very impressive conversions, and then some not so great. Which player are you mostly using if I may ask? I'm used to MPC-HC, though for some reasons it will not play some of my .mkv files that all the others play, even MS's Movie & TV app. Sometimes it gives me issues with a DVD as well. The sound is great though compared to VLC etc... How could I install the Lav filters w/out using a codec pack like K-Lite etc...? Thanks.

If you haven't seen the "Joker" by Joaquin Phoenix, please do if it's something your interested in. That acting in that movie is nothing I've seen in a very long time! Really identified with the whole plot, theme etc...
Old 27th January 2020, 14:39   #3308  |  Link
manolito

My 2 favorite players are MPC-HC and Tiny Player. I also have VLC installed, but I only use it when both DirectShow based players fail.

In MPC-HC I have disabled the internal LAV filters and use the latest installed LAV Filters version.

You can download LAV Filters here:
https://files.1f0.de/lavf/LAVFilters-0.74.1.exe
This is the installer version containing both 32-bit and 64-bit filters. Before installing you should remove older versions and also remove the settings from this Registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\LAV
Then install the latest version, use all the default installer settings. The only thing I have changed in the settings is activating the tray icons for all 3 components.

Tiny Player is a very lightweight DirectShow based player, very solid and fast, but no longer maintained. Download here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/tinyplayer/
The readme says that the author prefers ffdshow, but I use LAV Filters without any problems.

Cheers
manolito
Old 27th January 2020, 15:28   #3309  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
This is the installer version containing both 32-bit and 64-bit filters. Before installing you should remove older versions and also remove the settings from this Registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\LAV
Then install the latest version, use all the default installer settings.
Run Regedit, Go To "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\LAV"
Export that key with name "RestoreLav_x86_SettingsToRegistry.reg"
'reg will be auto appended.

If you have x64 Lav installed, Regedit, Go To "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\LAV64"
Export that key with name "RestoreLav_x64_SettingsToRegistry.reg"
'reg will be auto appended.

Create this file to delete settings [will make no difference to attempt delete of LAV64 if on x86].

RemoveLavSettingsFromRegistry.reg
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\LAV]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\LAV64]
Add the files to your lav filters installer folder.

Thanks Mani.

EDIT: Damn, Lav filters v0.74.1 not for XP.
v0.70.2, seems to be last for XP.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 27th January 2020 at 16:00.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2020, 18:37   #3310  |  Link
manolito

From my AVStoDVD "update tools" post:

Quote:
LAV Filters:
The current LAV versions require Windows Vista or higher. For a non-SSE2 CPU the nightly build 0.69.0.85 is the latest working version, under Win XP the latest working nightly is LAVFilters-0.70.2-16. So you may have to downgrade...
Old 29th January 2020, 07:36   #3311  |  Link
dr_ml422

Thanks manolito, StainlessS, I was able to delete the registry files and now am installing from the link manolito provided. I like that Mediainfo Lite that came with the K-Litepack. I'll just find where it's at and install it. Probably here afaik.
Old 29th January 2020, 13:10   #3312  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
I like that Mediainfo Lite that came with the K-Litepack. I'll just find where it's at and install it. Probably here afaik.
Careful...
AVStoDVD is not compatible with current MediaInfo versions. The last working version is 18.05 , and the light version is not supported.

So please do not update the file "mediainfo.dll" in the "AVStoDVD\Lib" folder to anything newer than v. 18.05. However it should not hurt to have a different MediaInfo GUI version installed. It just could happen that the two versions report slightly different clip properties.
Old 29th January 2020, 20:24   #3313  |  Link
dr_ml422

Just spotted this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
Yes, of course, but I do not think that this is even necessary...

Comparing the logs I noticed that "Olymus has fallen" uses the ColorMatrix command to convert the colorimetry from HD (Rec.709) to SD (Rec.601). And this results in correct colors.

"Angel has fallen" does not use the Colormatrix command, and this results in darker and more greenish colors. This is an indication that the source file uses Rec.709, but is incorrectly flagged so AVStoDVD cannot recognize the source colorimetry.

This can be easily fixed by adding the ColorMatrix command manually.

https://i.postimg.cc/0Q1wyyPZ/Colormatrix.png

Add the Colormatrix command and use a source value of 0 and a target value of 2. This should fix it.

In any case your issue has nothing to do with the audio conversion. The FFmpeg AC3 encoder should have a slight edge over Aften these days, but I doubt that you will be able to hear the difference.

Cheers
manolito

So, there was something going on after all, even if it wasn't the Audio Encoder as I thought. This is too advanced for me right now. I can only try to do some troubleshooting whenever something pops up. This ColorMatrix command then has been the culprit in several encodings which I previously noticed darker colors.

I won't update anything regarding AVStoDVD unless it's a formal update, so Mediainfo will stay the same in that folder. I do need it installed because it helps me see what actually is in my files if I want or need something different, or to troubleshoot.

Right now MPC-HC doesn't want to play a .mkv file which plays just fine everywhere else, and so Mediainfo might be able to shed some light. Thanks.
Old 17th February 2020, 19:53   #3314  |  Link
Mike-uk

hmm ok so when using this
AVISYNTH SCRIPT
Import("C:\Program Files (x86)\AVStoDVD\Lib\A2DSource.avsi")

Video = A2DVideoSource("F:\Movies\test.mkv", CacheFolder="C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp", VFR=false, FrameRate=23.976)
# Audio is frameserved by AviSynth just for Preview and Edit purposes.
Audio = A2DAudioSource("F:\Movies\test.mkv", CacheFolder="C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp")

Video = Video.ConvertToYV12()
Video = Video.FineSharp()
Video = Video.Spline36Resize(720,576)
Last = Video
f1=ChangeFPS(24)
f2=Trim(0,-1).AssumeFPS(24) + Trim(1,0).ChangeFPS(24)
Film=Merge(f1,f2)
p1=ChangeFPS(Film,25)
p2=Trim(Film,0,-1).AssumeFPS(25) + Trim(Film,1,0).ChangeFPS(25)
Pal=Merge(p1,p2)
Last = PAL.AssumeFPS(25)
Video = Last

AudioDub(Video, Audio)
SSRC(48000)

Trim(0,5000)

the resulting dvd has a judder every 1 second, smooth judder, smooth judder, repeat,
any idea ?
Thanks
Mike
Old 17th February 2020, 23:33   #3315  |  Link
manolito

Yes, this method does cause a slight judder, this is how ChangeFPS works. But the Merge() command makes this judder much less obvious (at the cost of introducing a little blending) than just using a simple ChangeFPS(25) on the 23.976 source clip.

Make a short test conversion and compare the results once using your above script and then only using ChangeFPS(25).

If you cannot live with this judder then you need to use classical PAL speedup which involves speeding up the audio, too.

More thoughts:
Is your source really pure 23.976 progressive, or does it have soft pulldown?

And yet another method you could try is to use frame rate interpolation instead of ChangeFPS. A2D comes with the (renamed) jm_fps function. To use it you need to import the MCJMFPS.avsi from the AVStoDVD\Lib folder at the top of your script and then use MCJMFPS(25) to change the frame rate. The result will not have judder and audio can be left alone. But depending on the source characteristics you could end up with some artifacts (mainly warped vertical lines). And it does not work well on anime.

Last edited by manolito; 17th February 2020 at 23:49.
Old 18th February 2020, 00:19   #3316  |  Link
Mike-uk

Hi manolito, thanks for the reply, using the script posted the judder is very noticeable esp on panning shots,

ill just stick with speed up, that's nice and smooth

Thanks

Mike
Old 18th February 2020, 03:20   #3317  |  Link
manolito

Since I cannot reproduce this very noticeable judder with the above script, I made a few tests...

Could it be that for your conversion AVStoDVD executed DGPulldown on the converted M2V? Because this is what A2D always does when the target is PAL and the source is either 23.076 or 24 NTSC progressive (and PAL speedup is not specified). To avoid this you need to rename the DGPulldown folder to something else temporarily.

Anyways, I downloaded a demo trailer with a lot of horizontal motion and converted it using 5 different methods. The results are here:
https://we.tl/t-97Xpu5NCjh

Please tell me what you think...
Old 18th February 2020, 11:51   #3318  |  Link
Mike-uk

Hi manolito, thanks for the test samples, ive played then all, I guess they all play smoothly on your system ??, alt merg, change fps, and dgpulldown all have the judder every 1 second, but frame rate inter and pal speed up play smooth

for my script run I renamed the dgpulldown.exe to xxxxxdgpulldownsxxx.exe and unchecked pal speed up as per you instructions, although confusing cos in a previous post you say tick speed up but that calculated the wrong size file

the pc file has a slight judder almost un noticeable but there, but once a dvd is made and played on a dvd player and tv the judder becomes very noticable

Last edited by Mike-uk; 18th February 2020 at 12:17.
Old 19th February 2020, 01:39   #3319  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-uk View Post
I guess they all play smoothly on your system ??
So far I had only watched the files on my computer, but now I burned a DVD and watched it on my ancient CRT TV. You are right, the judder is far more obvious on the TV than on the computer.

But for me only the ChangeFPS clip looks annoying, I could live with all the others. Funny thing that for me the judder is only visible on fast horizontal motion. On scenes with slow steady motion I can't see any judder.

And what really surprised me was how good the Frame Rate Interpolation clip looked. I could not see any artifacts even on the TV, and the source with all the CGI stuff is very demanding for the interpolator.

Quote:
although confusing cos in a previous post you say tick speed up but that calculated the wrong size file
This only happens if you have ticked PAL Speedup, but later edit the AVS script so there will no longer be any speedup. The workaround is to untick PAL Speedup, but to avoid that DGPulldown kicks in you have to rename DGPulldown.exe. If you really want PAL Speedup then the A2D file size calculation is correct.

Last edited by manolito; 19th February 2020 at 01:42.
Old 19th February 2020, 12:42   #3320  |  Link
Mike-uk

thanks for testing, I think ill just stick with pal speed up for now, cant ffmpeg change the cents as its encoding to ac3, to bring it back down to original tone ?