Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Old 30th April 2010, 23:38   #1  |  Link
dehalley

PC DVD Player Does Not Recognize Discs

I found this site via a Goodle search.

I've been using point-and-click software to backup my DVDs to hard drives for years, but I won't pretend to know how that software works. The authors are geniuses as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway, some of my latest DVD purchases are not even recognized as DVDs by my PC, but they play fine in a regular player. All my (by now old) ripping tools of course don't work on these, as they at least need the drive to "see" the DVDs.

I assume that this is some form of copy protection, but I also assume some of those geniuses have figured out how to get around it. Can you point me to a solution?

P.S. I spent hours searching through old forum entries but surprisingly, I didn't come across this specific problem or the solution to it. Please forgive if this is a real Newbie dumb question.
dehalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2010, 00:06   #2  |  Link
BigDid
Actually in reserve

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by dehalley View Post
I've been using point-and-click software to backup my DVDs to hard drives for years...
What is that? any link, wiki or indication of what kind of file is produced?

Quote:
Anyway, some of my latest DVD purchases are not even recognized as DVDs by my PC, but they play fine in a regular player...
Again what player do you use on your PC?
You could give a try to more universal players to see if it can play your new dvd; like:
VLC : http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
or MPC (C for classic) http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli/
or any other player found here.

With some new informations it will be possible to go one step further, but atm I have no clue of what your problem is and what can be done...

Did

PS: no problem for newbie questions in the newbie forum
BigDid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2010, 00:30   #3  |  Link
dehalley

More Info On What Works?

Sorry I wasn't clear enough, but I'll answer the best I can:

Quote:
What is that?
I've been using RipIt4Me to get the data off the DVD an onto the drive. I'll assume you know what that is.

Quote:
what kind of file is produced
VOB, etc.

Quote:
what player do you use on your PC?
Lots of them, depending. Media Player and PowerDVD mostly. But I've tried many others (such as VLC) and none of them can see the DVD in the drive. When I insert the DVD, after only one or two seconds, the device spins down, indicating to me that the DVD isn't being recognized on even the lowest level.

The issue is not viewing the DVD - I can do that on my regular player - but rather that the PC DVD drive does not even recognize that I've inserted a DVD. That causes ALL the software, players and rippers, to not see a DVD in the drive.

I've tried software like Handbrake and such, but they all ask me to insert a DVD in the drive, and of course I already have.

Everything still works as expected with most DVDs. I wish I knew what additional info to supply, but if I'll do my best to answer any questions that will help.
Old 1st May 2010, 02:01   #4  |  Link
CWR03
Custom User Title

Aare there any rootkit softwares that can cause such a problem?
CWR03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2010, 19:22   #5  |  Link
ojdidit

Since this is happening on a limited few dvds, a list of said dvds might help also.
ojdidit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2010, 01:10   #6  |  Link
dehalley

DVD Examples

Quote:
a list of said dvds might help also.
I've just finished ripping all DVDs of Saturday Night Live - Season 5 - all went well.

Tried to rip Wanted: Dead Or Alive - Season 1 - Drive would not reecognize inserted DVDs.

Tried to rip Have Gun - Will Travel - Season 2 - Drive would not recognize inserted DVDs.

Tried to rip Hiya Kids - A 50s Saturday Morning - Drive would not recognize inserted DVDs.

All problematic DVDs play fine in a regular player.

I've ripped hundreds of other DVDs successfully and have only occasionally had similar failures in the past. Just thought it was time to get to the bottom of the problem. Since a quick answer didn't jump right out at me, I'm guessing that my problem is not one that is generally encountered. The most reasonable explanation is that my PC drive is enough out of alignment that it fails to recognize some DVDs but not others. Unfortunately, I don't have ready access to another PC to test (I'm not very mobile). My previous guess was that the directory info had been messed with in some way, but you guys would probably know all about that if it was the case.
Old 2nd May 2010, 02:57   #7  |  Link
setarip_old

@dehalley

Hi!

I'm guessing that your drive is either failing or dirty. You might want to try running a DVD/CD cleaning disc on it. Maxell makes one that sells for about $10U.S. ...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2010, 08:14   #8  |  Link
dehalley

You could be right, but it works so well on 90% of the DVDs I rip, I still have my doubts. Plus it works every time on some DVDs and fails every time on others. Just doesn't sound like a drive problem to me. I'll know more when I can try the problematic DVDs on another computer. Thanks for the input!