Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 25th December 2008, 17:12   #61  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
@vwpassion

Thanks for the post. I think I see the problem there. Apparently I must have used formatting for output of the framerate that adjusts for european decimals... I think it should say "23.976" in the .META rather than "23,976". Can you manually modify it and see what happens?

Thanks.
I found this and fixed it for the next release. Dumb error...
Old 25th December 2008, 18:33   #62  |  Link
Chefkoch_ico

Quote:
So it sounds like the problem is in the remux. Can you try to run it again and say "yes" when it asks if you want to continue from the last encode? It should try to mux again (only) unless you have changes some settings. If it warns "delete all files?" then it means the settings have changes -- saying yes will start the encoding over again (which probably isn't what you want to do).

Hmmm... maybe I should add a "two click mode"...
Quote:
@vwpassion

Thanks for the post. I think I see the problem there. Apparently I must have used formatting for output of the framerate that adjusts for european decimals... I think it should say "23.976" in the .META rather than "23,976". Can you manually modify it and see what happens?

Thanks.
I think thats my problem too. It was 23,976, when i changed to 23.976 it was muxing.

Bye
Chefkoch_ico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2008, 00:50   #63  |  Link
writersblock29

@Jdobbs

Since I already had the movie on my hard drive, I tested on Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. I removed all by the English audio track (True HD), and all but English subtitles.

It works! Playback is very smooth on Arcsoft Total Media Theater. I'll try a burned copy on a set top box (I use a HTPC, so I don't have a regular set top at my disposal right now). To select an audio track I've removed, the English stream continues to play--much as the audio remap feature in DVD Rebuilder. Subs worked as expected, unless I were to select a stream that I had removed--but to do so resulted in no crashes or glitches.

So for a first trial, I have no bugs to report to you. Bravo! I have one question, however: In your current method of AC3 re-compression, does it retain 5.1 mapping, or does it down-mix to stereo? Currently, my surround sound unit is down, so I couldn't tell during my playback and function tests.

[Edit] Whoops. While testing the output, I had closed down BD Rebuilder. To try and reopen the program again, I'm greeted with "Onepass264, Run-time Error '9.' Subscript out of range." I can't post any log since none was created; the error occurs when BD Rebuilder is trying to open.

32-bit Windows MCE 2005, AMD Phenom 9550 quad-core processor, MSI DKA790GX Mobo, 4GB Dominator Cosair Memory (seen by operating system as 3.5GB). Relatively fresh install, with current versions of AVIsynth, Ripbot264, FFdshow, Nero 9 Ultra, DVD Rebuilder Pro, BD Rebuilder beta, Slysoft AnyDVDHD, and Haali Media Splitter. Not sure if the system specs help, but hey!

Last edited by writersblock29; 26th December 2008 at 01:20.
writersblock29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2008, 02:28   #64  |  Link
SpazzHH

Quote:
Where is it in the log? Does it happen when you select it, or when you try to run it?
I had this run-time error 6 on a mounted image using Virtual Clone Drive. Oddly enough it seems to happen at the audio multiplexing stage?
Code:
[18:59:06] BD Rebuilder v0.17.9 (beta)
  - Input BD size: 31.18 GB
  - Approximate total content: [02:20:26.584]
  - Target BD size: 7.72 GB
[18:59:06] PHASE ONE, Encoding
 - [18:59:13] Collecting video information [00000]
   - Video: 64x24, 23.976fps
   - Bitrate: 8,212 Kbs
 - [18:59:21] Reencoding: VID_00000, Pass 1 of 2
 - [19:06:31] Reencoding: VID_00000, Pass 2 of 2
 - [19:13:41] Video Encode complete
 - [19:13:41] Extracting/reencoding audio tracks
 - [19:13:43] Multiplexing M2TS
Copied the files to the hard drive and it went away. I also had to enable MPEG 2 in ffdshow in order to make anything work. I'm now in the middle of what is looking like the first actual successful video encoding. It's running now. I saw no need to start with something easy. I jumped straight to Pearl Harbor.
Old 26th December 2008, 03:45   #65  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
your current method of AC3 re-compression, does it retain 5.1 mapping, or does it down-mix to stereo?
It retains 5.1 mapping.
Old 26th December 2008, 03:46   #66  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpazzHH View Post
I had this run-time error 6 on a mounted image using Virtual Clone Drive. Oddly enough it seems to happen at the audio multiplexing stage?
Code:
[18:59:06] BD Rebuilder v0.17.9 (beta)
  - Input BD size: 31.18 GB
  - Approximate total content: [02:20:26.584]
  - Target BD size: 7.72 GB
[18:59:06] PHASE ONE, Encoding
 - [18:59:13] Collecting video information [00000]
   - Video: 64x24, 23.976fps
   - Bitrate: 8,212 Kbs
 - [18:59:21] Reencoding: VID_00000, Pass 1 of 2
 - [19:06:31] Reencoding: VID_00000, Pass 2 of 2
 - [19:13:41] Video Encode complete
 - [19:13:41] Extracting/reencoding audio tracks
 - [19:13:43] Multiplexing M2TS
Copied the files to the hard drive and it went away. I also had to enable MPEG 2 in ffdshow in order to make anything work. I'm now in the middle of what is looking like the first actual successful video encoding. It's running now. I saw no need to start with something easy. I jumped straight to Pearl Harbor.
Good. It sounds like we're making progress. I wonder if there is a way I can programatically enable it?
Old 26th December 2008, 04:53   #67  |  Link
SpazzHH

Quote:
Good. It sounds like we're making progress. I wonder if there is a way I can programatically enable it?
Just a stab in the dark here, but would that be easier, or perhaps a way to use the already enabled codecs that pre-exist? I mean AVS files play fine. Does the way you do things with BD-RB actually require that it be ffdshow's decoder that gets used. There are plenty of other decoders on my system besides that one, or the avs files wouldn't play. Right?
Old 26th December 2008, 07:52   #68  |  Link
Capsbackup

Just completed a full backup of U571, NTSC. Though BD-RB completed succesful, all is not well. Original - 19.9GB, BD-RB - 4.10GB. Burned to DVD+RW with IMGBurn and played back on Sony BDP-BX1. Loads to menu, but menu video pauses and audio only plays for a few seconds before stopping and then starting again. Menu video remains a still image. Selecting play starts the movie and the video quality is beautiful, but there is no audio or subtitles. Chapter selection works fine as does FF/RW. Inside of WORKFILES folder there is an audio file that is 372MB AC3 448KBPS corresponding to the main M2TS and plays and sounds fine. I reload the BD-RB M2TS into tsMuxeR_1.8.8(b) and it sees the audio and subtitle files, but the sound and subs are not displayed on playback. Let me know if I can provide any other info.
Capsbackup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2008, 09:14   #69  |  Link
turbojet

TARGET_SIZE=4369 and TARGETSIZE=4470 both gave Target BD size: 4.27 GB and Bitrate: 3,067 Kbs
I double checked the bitrate in lastcmd.txt so it seems TARGET_SIZE in the ini gets ignored and the defaults for settings>options> target is always used. This is also the case with DVD9 target.

For quick switching between DVD5 and DVD9 could this setting be in settings>target>custom size or something like that and have the ability to save custom sizes in MB?
turbojet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2008, 10:00   #70  |  Link
Sharc

In a currently running test (full BD backup onto BD5) it looks as is everything is encoded in 2-pass mode, although I selected "Quicker" Encode for Extras. I would expect that Extras should then be encoded in crf (1-pass) mode, right? Could this be related to the observation reported in other posts that there is sometimes a problem with the stream discrimination (main feature vs extras)?
Btw, the Extras get a very low bitrate in the order of 500 ... 800 kbps, means the quality is not too exciting....
The Main Feature in this case is the stream 00000.mts.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2008, 10:00   #71  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsbackup View Post
Just completed a full backup of U571, NTSC. Though BD-RB completed succesful, all is not well. Original - 19.9GB, BD-RB - 4.10GB. Burned to DVD+RW with IMGBurn and played back on Sony BDP-BX1. Loads to menu, but menu video pauses and audio only plays for a few seconds before stopping and then starting again. Menu video remains a still image. Selecting play starts the movie and the video quality is beautiful, but there is no audio or subtitles. Chapter selection works fine as does FF/RW. Inside of WORKFILES folder there is an audio file that is 372MB AC3 448KBPS corresponding to the main M2TS and plays and sounds fine. I reload the BD-RB M2TS into tsMuxeR_1.8.8(b) and it sees the audio and subtitle files, but the sound and subs are not displayed on playback. Let me know if I can provide any other info.
Can you post the MUX_ file for the main feature? The menu thing is troubling... are you sure the disc is good?

When you say "sound and subs are not displayed on playback" what do you mean?
Old 26th December 2008, 10:13   #72  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
In a currently running test (full BD backup onto BD5) it looks as is everything is encoded in 2-pass mode, although I selected "Quicker" Encode for Extras. I would expect that Extras should then be encoded in crf (1-pass) mode, right? Could this be related to the observation reported in other posts that there is sometimes a problem with the stream discrimination (main feature vs extras)?
Btw, the Extras get a very low bitrate in the order of 500 ... 800 kbps, means the quality is not too exciting....
The Main Feature in this case is the stream 00000.mts.
When it is selected there are several decisions made. One is based on how much of the disc is extras and another if the original extra's M2TS is greater than 5GB. When things get tight it tries to get as much out of the encode as possible -- that's probably why it is doing two pass.

500 - 800Kbs is pretty low. I assume these are SD, eh?

Last edited by jdobbs; 26th December 2008 at 10:17.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2008, 10:43   #73  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shikari View Post
When I select the drive for input.

What log are you referring to? I don't see any log file in the BD Rebuilder folder.

Edit: OK, and now the error has magically gone away after repeating the same steps 5 times, but it won't recognize my BD disk even though it worked yesterday... rather odd. (nothing shows up in what should be the list of video tracks/audio tracks).
What's happening with this now? Actually the log is in the WORKING directory... but based on what you're saying it probably isn't much help.
Old 26th December 2008, 10:45   #74  |  Link
TBL

I finally tried the program, but couldn't get it to work. I installed the latest ffdshow (resetting the settings) and haali splitter.

When I press backup, it gives the following message:

BD Rebuilder experienced an error [11:24:58] ExtractAudioSubs() 00013

After that:

---------------------------
OnePass264
---------------------------
Run-time error '424':

Object required

Then it closes the program. If I disable all of the audio streams, it will begin encoding but will complain about the beforementioned comma in .meta file.

I can play both video and audio from .avs files with MPC.

P.S. Oh, almost forgot. It gives the same error with movie only and full backup. Tried also with v0.17.10

Last edited by TBL; 26th December 2008 at 11:13. Reason: new version
TBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2008, 11:00   #75  |  Link
Sharc

Oh I see, it is not a bug then, but a feature. Thanks for explaining.

The 500 .... 700 kbps clips are 1920x1080 (original VC-1). Some of these get about 1200 kbps which makes these look reasonably good for Extras, wherease the lowest one gets 402 kbps only. I assume the bitrate is allocated in proportion to the original bitrate? Maybe some kind of redistribution will be needed in future .....
The planned resizing to 720p will alos help in such cases, I guess.
Old 26th December 2008, 11:00   #76  |  Link
jdobbs

@TBL

I just updated the first post in this thread with v0.17.10 which makes a couple of minor fixes. Try that one.

All you need to replace is the BD_REBUILDER.EXE file.

Last edited by jdobbs; 26th December 2008 at 11:14.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2008, 11:16   #77  |  Link
TBL

@jdobbs

I just tried the new version, sorry to say that the same error still occurs.
TBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2008, 11:19   #78  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
Oh I see, it is not a bug then, but a feature. Thanks for explaining.

The 500 .... 700 kbps clips are 1920x1080 (original VC-1). Some of these get about 1200 kbps which makes these look reasonably good for Extras, wherease the lowest one gets 402 kbps only. I assume the bitrate is allocated in proportion to the original bitrate? Maybe some kind of redistribution will be needed in future .....
The planned resizing to 720p will alos help in such cases, I guess.
Well "feature" may be a stretch... Yes, they are allocated based upon the reduction percentage. I hate to think of what a 1920x1080 may look like at 500kbs, though. My guess is that they put the bitrate at a point that was barely acceptable on the original -- and reducing just isn't a good idea.

Maybe I should change it so it does the "quick pass" on extras anyway. It still isn't great, as the CRF would be fairly high... but its probably better than what you're getting now. The downside is that the extra bandwidth has to come from somewhere -- and that somewhere is the feature.
Old 26th December 2008, 11:40   #79  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Well "feature" may be a stretch... Yes, they are allocated based upon the reduction percentage. I hate to think of what a 1920x1080 may look like at 500kbs, though. My guess is that they put the bitrate at a point that was barely acceptable on the original -- and reducing just isn't a good idea.

Maybe I should change it so it does the "quick pass" on extras anyway. It still isn't great, as the CRF would be fairly high... but its probably better than what you're getting now. The downside is that the extra bandwidth has to come from somewhere -- and that somewhere is the feature.
The lowest Extra I got just now is 345 kbps for the original at 16 Mbps.
Perhaps a strategy could be to encode all Extras at a fixed e.g. ini-file user selectable CRF (default 33 or so) and allocate the remaining disk space to the feature. Or perhaps set a minimum bitrate of say 1200 kbps just in order to prevent 300... 500 kbps "accidents".
I understand that this thread is not intended for discussing improvements, though.

Added:
After all, it is absolutely amazing what the x264 is still capable to produce with only 345 kbps @ 1920 x 1080.

Last edited by Sharc; 26th December 2008 at 12:05.
Old 26th December 2008, 12:13   #80  |  Link
vwpassion

Besides all the bugs I have to report a success as well. I successfully backed up "The Kite Runner" Region B on a BD9, however the size is about 300 MB short of what can actually fit on a BD9 (7836MB). I assume the sizing is something you will fix in later and more stable versions of BD-RB? As turobojet suggested I would also appreciate a custom size option, even if it may not be 100% accurate. Going to try the new version now on one of the discs that had bad muxes due to the "23,976" bug.
vwpassion is offline   Reply With Quote